1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

will nvidia 9800gt work on 18amps

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by wmburn, Mar 24, 2013.

1. wmburn New Member

Thanks Received:
    so title says it all. i am in a middle of changing my desktop. so i bought nvidia 9800gt graphic card. and i wonder will it work on my non branded 450w power suply. i have free single 12v rail that have 18amps output. graphic card requires 1 x 6-pin connector for power suply. i read somewhere that nvidia req a minimum of 18amps but that will work perfectly on 24amps.

i had nvidia gtx 460 working in this power suply (and gtx 460 req a 2x 6-pin connectors). i played some new games on it.

so the question is will 9800gt work on this power suply? i dont need it for uber 3d graphics but to watch movies and play casual games until new deskop arives.

sorry for my bad english :)

2. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    If the GTX460 worked the lower power 9800GT will.

wmburn says thanks.
  3. wmburn New Member

Thanks Received:
    abcd

yeah, i tought the same but i wanted to be shure. thank you.

4. wmburn New Member

Thanks Received:
    one more question

what will be the drawback if gpu doesnt have enought amps to suply it? except the "wont start at all"
    i mean is it possible that cooling on gpu work slower becouse of power shortage?

what are the posibilities?

5. kniaugaudiskis

Thanks Received:
    18 amps on a separate rail is more than enough for a single 9800GT. If a graphics suddenly starts drawing more power than a PSU is capable of supplying, a PSU overload protection will kick in and a computer will shut down immediately. If a PSU is one of the cheapest ones and lacks this kind of protection, then, well, you might see smoke coming out of it. The worst part is you're likely to fry the rest of components in such a case, too.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
    wmburn says thanks.
  6. DarkOCean

DarkOCean

Thanks Received:
    on top of that big mountain on mars(Romania)
    +1, a 8800/9800gt use ~130w while a gtx 460 use 165w so if the 460 worked the 9800 should work too.

wmburn says thanks.
  7. wmburn New Member

Thanks Received:
    so i checked my psu again, its frontier 450w. dont know how renown frontier is, and importantly i dont know its quality

anyway i think i have 2x 12v rails, 1molex and 2 sata on one rail, and 2molex on another rail. (i used 3x molex for gtx 460) (gtx 460 req 4x molex).

i never had a gpu that req additional power so i am pretty much a newbie in that area. but is it a good idea to use one molex from one rail and another molex from another rail for 9800gt? or just single rail with 2 molex is better solution?

***(gpu have 1x 6pin for additionl power, and i have converter from 2 molex to 6pin).

8. DarkOCean

DarkOCean

Thanks Received:
    on top of that big mountain on mars(Romania)
    thațs the better solution.

wmburn says thanks.
  9. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    It's better to use one molex from one rail and one molex from another. This way you split the power draw more evenly instead of trying to suck down all that power from one rail.

Even so, if your power supply is so old that it doesn't have the actual PCI-E power connectors, I recommend replacing it anyway.

Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.3 SLI...

You may want to look at a different model if you want the power cord that goes from the power supply to your outlet. This one doesn't come with one. I've got an assload of these things laying around though so it doesn't make much of a difference to me whether I get one or not. 80 bucks for a very efficient power supply that will reliably power anything save some super duper multi GPU rig sounds like a good deal to me.

wmburn says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    actually 11Amps is enough for a 130W GPU :)

power = voltage x current

you can get power values from our GPU Database; Voltage is always 12V so you can get current.

wmburn says thanks.
  11. wmburn New Member

Thanks Received:
    thank you

thank you guys for answers. you helped me a lot :)