1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

will pc gaming become obsolete?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ste2425, Mar 22, 2009.

1. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    A couple of years ago i would have laughed at that statement but mabye now i need to reconsider, the quality between the latest consoles and rigs is becomeing smaller and smaller i mean i think consoles will never become better then a rig and personally i will opt for a gaming pc anyday. The other thing a pc had a few years ago that all new gen consoles have now is internet gaming so what does a pc have that will keep the less hardcore fan here? I mean the price gap between a decent gaming rig and a console is stupid, you can pick up a 360 for a 130 quid whilst a new graphics card alone costs more never mind a full rig, and personally i think thats gonna be the loosing factor for pc gaming, people will notice the quality difference but it wont be enough to keep people other then ourselves, true pc gamers, using rigs.
    whats your opinions?

2. Sc1mitar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, this is true. PC gaming is always more expensive than consoles, but the quality of gameplay is so much better on a PC. Remember that most people do not buy a computer just for gaming, and they add on later components to make it more suitable for gaming. Plus theres the whole social aspect, you can sit around drinking beers and play madden all day on your xbox with your boys, or sit in your room in the dark playing call of duty 4 on your comp with a headset on...yeah..not very "cool"

Mice/Keyboard are just so much more intuitive than a controller, i cant stand a controller personally, i would consider gaming on a console if i could hook up a mouse/keyboard combo.

3. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Consoles have basically become PC's the features are very similar now a days, PC gaming can be more expensive in that you may need some good hardware to get the game you want to looks like they should(depending on the game). Consoles are cheaper, yet less powerful. But keep in mind that Consoles were meant for games, PC can do may things and be used for many things. Both are awesome systems tho, just depends what your into, people who just want to game tend to spend there cash on Consoles since there both cheap and no hardware worry's, Generally PC is higher quality yet more expensive and as games get more advanced you need to keep up with the latest hardware to get the frame you want out of em, and some people like that, some people love spending money for the latest and greatest to have there games play at a fine quality. I personally have both Consoles and a decent PC they both have great games for them and i wouldn't pick one system even if i had to. And think about it, its Internet, you dont have to worry about everyone buying a Console got internet access, because at the end of the day PC users still have the keyboard and mouse, no one is going to switch for that. Just depends what you want. Console gaming graphics wise is semi on par with PC and looks great to, but you have to remember that PC will still have a bit more detail in games due to the hardware, whether getting that new GTX 280/4870 is worth it is up to you. Only really people to be bothered would be the graphics whores tho. Depends what you want.

Holy crap, wall of text.^:(

4. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    I think PC gaming has actually picked up in the last couple years. It seemed like a few years ago the pc gaming industry was starting to lack and companies were no longer bringing games out for the PC or porting over multiplatform games. Over the last year or so it seems like companies have came out with many new games and multiplatform games to the PC. I don't think pc gaming will become obsolete any time soon.

5. groothof22

groothof22 New Member

Thanks Received:
    LoL:roll:

CDdude55 says thanks.
  6. u2konline

u2konline

Thanks Received:
    pc gaming is not like it use to be in the past, but its still great.

7. Fleck New Member

Thanks Received:
    PC gaming will live.

8. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    What about cloud gaming...could wipe out the normal way everyone plays their games!!

9. Conflict0s

Conflict0s

Thanks Received:
    I have mix opinions about this.
    As much as I love to game with my mates one XBL (because they mainly have 360's) I still love to game with my other mates on pc, weather they are from another country or around the corner. But with a games console, I find that I buy one and it just sits there.
    And I felt that something is missing because it isn’t really MINE, it was someone else’s design and I just bought it. So I modded my 360.
    But with pc gaming, there is a totally different aspect to it, as you get to understand how things work, and how it has improved, and by changing something, how will it affect something in game. That's why I proffer to game on my pc, just because I know what’s in it, why things are happening and I get allot of satisfaction knowing that I built something that can now play these high end games, instead of just buying something off the shelf and sticking it on my desk.

10. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    yea i've pondered the same question myself, and i don't see it dying out anytime actually maybe slowing after some years to come. There are some PC exclusive games such as WoW, Diablo 3, and Starcraft 2 that will not be release on consoles and that's just from Blizzard. MMO's will keep computer gaming alive as well as RPG and Strategies. A PC just blows a console RPG/Strategy experience out of the water.

though i heard the PS3 can have a keybaord and mouse connected to it dunno if that's right or not. But i'm the same as some others have posted, i can't stand joysticks, all bout the mouse for me.

11. Conflict0s

Conflict0s

Thanks Received:
    Yea you can connect a keyboard and mouse to xBox 360 and PS3.
    I aint to sure about the PS3 but the xBox can only use the keyboard and mouse for the dashboard, until you get into a game, then you have to revert back to controller, but saying that, there are adapters that you can use that you plug your keyboard and mouse into it, and it converts it to one usb and you can play such games as Halo 3 threw it. But this only works for some games as Microsoft don't really want people to use Keyboard and mouse.
    Maybe they can see that if they let people use it, sales will go down in pc games and hardware?

12. u2konline

u2konline

Thanks Received:
    Shouldn't this be in the games forum?

Anyways, i still think that merger between gamestop and ebgames put a dent in the gaming community. Also with this stupid deal with the nfl, football has gone down hill.

13. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    of course it won't I think that this is the WORST time to own a console, after going through 3 360's with RROD and then my replacements drive dying and not being able to RMA it I just went like F it.

I mean with the playstaion 3 you get a reliable console with alot of extras but with not many good games, with the 360 you get a good amount of good games but a totally unreliable console, hence im back to pc gaming.

14. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    PC games have always ruled. :rockout:

Only DRM is getting worse. (DRM --> :nutkick: <-- Legal Buyers)

15. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Only had one RROD 360, the one i have now is working like a charm.

These days the 360's aren't that bad actually as with time they have pulled themselves out and started producing more reliable consoles.

There are lots of good games IMO, for PS3 you get Killzone 2, God of War III, Uncharted 2, MotorStorm 2: Pacific rift, Infamous and what not. Plus the 360 has some good exclusives, and E3 is coming up which should show some even more awesome things for the consoles.

Mind you i am not a Console fanboy, but there are alot of positives for each system.

16. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you play games PC gaming is the best. I have a PS3 and I personally haven't used it since Socom came out but that sucked so much ass. Valve, Blizzard and other devs still make awesome games for PC, I don't think it's going anywhere.

17. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Sold my PS3 for a Router, now that was worth it IMO.:D

Still have my Xbox 360 and Wii, and there both awesome IMO. And obviously my PC.:rockout:

18. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    I wish I could sell mine. My dad wants to keep it just in case something comes out for it. I highly doubt anything good is gonna come out for it, ever. What's the point of a sony console with almost NO good RPG's?

19. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    I agree about the RPG's, what about God of War III or Killzone 2 tho?, not interested in those titles?

20. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Killzone 2 sucks, God of War is OK but I never bought it.

21. kyle2020 Guest

Heres my opinion.

Around the launch of the PS3 I went out and got myself a 360 - mainly due to the money burning in my pocket, but hey. IMMEDIATELY felt guilty (in a dirty way ;)) and saved up hard for a PS3 - and got one 3 days after launch.

Now within a few months I then sold my 360 on as I didnt like it in comparison to the PS3 - I wanted to play with my mates online but didnt want another £50 out my pocket, and the PS3 just felt more grown up and refined. Now to date I have 6 PS3 games, and of those 6 I have completed 3. Not many games at all kyle? Why? Well, enter my addiction to the world of PC's.

Went to a friends house and he had just finished building his gaming PC - an antec 900, a 4600+ X2, an 8800GTS 640MB Superclocked card, and I was just stunned at how good PC's were - up to that point I had a basic internet surfing, word typing rig that ran CS:S at 13fps . . .

Enter birthday money, this forum + minerals of steel.

And here we are today - If you ask me, apart from racing games, the PC always wins - a keyboard and mouse beat any pad, games are cheaper on the PC, and so on. Besides then having a powerful gaming machine, you have a platform for internet browsing, media storage, a setup that can handle all aspects of your work life, a way to keep in touch with people instantly - the consoles have a few of these things, but not to the calibre a PC does.

Can a console play crysis? No. Can a console be on the internet, listening to music, on an instant messenger and be playing a game all at once? No. Can you customize a console in the way you can a PC? nope.

Just my 2 cents.

22. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yup totally agree. Except I've been PC gaming since 1997 :laugh: That's right. I was playing Age of Empires when I was 6! I had a Dreamcast, probably the only console I really liked!

23. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    PC gaming technology will be getting better just like consoles having internet. At least thats what i think.

No wall of text here. :D

CDdude55 says thanks.
  24. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    You made my Wall of text cry.

25. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    i was 5 when we got our first pc

no pc gaming wont die out, a lot of people will actually convert to pc gaming

its just that people find it easy to use a console all you do is put in a disk and thats it no installation no need to buy a new component or get latest drivers and patches heck they even update for you

its far to easy

they also have nice graphics and sound, sure i cant do multitasking on one but most people buy it just for the games only and have a crap low end pc for office and internet

pc gaming will just be more multiformat and will have even less exclusives

EDIT: what i mean is it will survive but be more mainstream