1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Will PCI Express x16 work in PCI Express x1?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Azn Tr14dZ, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, will it? I know it will have limited bandwidth, but would it still run and play games? My friend has a Dell, yeah Dell, and he wants to get a Video Card, but his "Dell" only has PCI Express x1, and the only one is the HIS Radeon X1300, which kinda sucks...

2. randomperson21

randomperson21 New Member

Thanks Received:
    huh?

pcie x16 is a huge slot. reminds me of an agp8x slot.

pcie 1x is like a mini pci slot. maybe 1/3d the size of a standard pci slot.

so how you're going to stuff a huge card into that mini slot is beyond me. unless you know of some adapter thingy... or dell suddenly decided to come up with their own slot sizes or something. ha!

3. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow dude, you know that PCI Express x1, x4, and x8 cards work in x16 slots, so I was wondering if it was backwards compatible with less bandwidth. It's the same slot, just smaller.

4. randomperson21

Thanks Received:
    yeah, i know that. maybe i just got mixed up. you're trying to put a pcie16x card in a pcie1x slot? because i look at the slots physically, and i don't see how it could be done.
    but if you have a pcie8x/4x/1x and you want to put it in a pcie16x slot, that could work.

i guess, with the little notch-thingies in the card, you could maybe plug in a 16x card into a 1x slot. but like 2/3'rds of the pin thingies would be sticking out. unless i'm really stupid or something, i do believe they're there for a purpose.

Heres wikipedia:

A PCIe card will physically fit (and work correctly) in any slot that is at least as large as it is (e.g. an x1 card will work in an x4 or x16 slot), and a slot of a large physical size (e.g. x16) can be wired electrically with fewer lanes (e.g. x1 or x8; however, it must still provide the power and ground connections required by the larger physical slot size). In both cases, the PCIe link will negotiate the highest mutually supported number of lanes. It is not, however, possible for a device to operate in a slot that is physically smaller than it (eg. a x4 card cannot fit in a slot which is physically an x1 slot — though it could operate in a x4 slot wired with only 1 lane).

as for bandwith, an agp8x slot provides a max of 2.0GB/s. pcie1x is 250MB/s. pcie16x is 4GB/s. thats culled from wikipedia.

5. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh...ok then, my friend is screwed...

6. randomperson21

Thanks Received:
    gah, thats dell for ya.
    an agp option wouldn't be too bad if he has an agp port.

7. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nope, he doesn't...he has 1 PCI Express x1 and 2 PCI...lol are there good PCI cards?

8. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Nope. Get the X1300, it's a 9800pro with SM3, HDR, and performance enhancements in the latest games. And give him your phone number for when he needs a new computer ;).

9. randomperson21

Thanks Received:
    hmm.

i just went on newegg and looked. best i could find ati is a radeon 9250, for nvidia, geforce5500. not so hot i'm afraid....

10. bruins004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey Azn,
    As I recall there was a card made for a PCI slot I believe.
    I unfortunately dont recall the card or the manufacturer who made it.
    But I do know that it wasn't that great and I suggest that your friend should just stick with AGP cards or get a new computer (since DELLS are soo hard to upgrade).
    And don't forget that with Dells you will most likely need a new PSU if you put a new GPU in there.
    He most likely has a 250W cheap PSU in there and will prob. need around 350W with a new GPU.
    Good luck and if u gots any other question just let me know. (esp. with PSUs)

11. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    There are so few straight PCI cards available these days, the best I could find in the UK for ATI was the 9250 and for Nvidia the MX4000. Not much gaming to be had from those I'm afraid.

12. SomeRandomGuy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dell underrates their PSU's, so odds are it can handle it. If you put in a card and it doesn't work though, then its time to upgrade the PSU. Just to save you some money. Power hungry cards will probably require a new PSU (the Ultra edition NVidia cards).