1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

will that psu be enough?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by FuzzyDunlop, Jan 15, 2010.

1. FuzzyDunlop New Member

Thanks Received:
  2. Charper2013

Charper2013 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hrmm. I would go to 650w. MAYBE could w/o any overclocking.

3. FuzzyDunlop New Member

Thanks Received:
  4. Tyrael

Thanks Received:
  5. Tyrael

Thanks Received:
    At some ocasion, your CPU / GPU cards, they may need a little more juices. Nevertheless, your motherboard... in some case... they eat up about 75W. So, think carefully...

Having a 600W PSU is a safer choice. It will make your rig stable and there should be 100W of free power (as a backup) if your system needs it. You never know when its going to eat more... so...

Charper2013 says thanks.
  6. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    It will be fine. However, going with more power will help if you want to expand in the future and for not much more money.

7. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Bo_Fox

Bo_Fox New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you already have that PSU, I would reckon it's enough, but if the 12V rail drops too much during overclocking (by more than 5%), you'd have to watch out, or just simply upgrade if it's bad enough.

9. SoulTribunal

Thanks Received:
    I would want something like a Newer HX650W in there.

An important thing to realize is the higher up you Run your PSU to its max capacity the more stress on all its internals and the shorter the lifespan it has. As well you start to hurt the efficency numbers too.

Any PSU I buy for myself or a client I ensure that I will never take more then 75% of its max capacity at once.

Just a thought.

ST

Tyrael says thanks.
  10. Tyrael

Thanks Received:
    That is true! I am totally with you!! *thumbs up*

Tyrael

11. werez

werez New Member

Thanks Received:
    A friend of mine runs an HD5850 / 550W OCZ without problems , but he kept it simple , no fan controllers , card readers , only 1 HDD / DVDRW , no fancy lights , and minor overcloking .
    That Antec has the right specs and will probably run , but you want to have a little headroom left especially when you want to overclock . And why not to pay 10-15$ for extra 100W and a bit more amperage . I recommend you to aim at single rail PSU's and go for CORSAIR , OCZ , BEquiet ( bulletproof ) .
    Take in consideration capacity aging so you won`t have to struggle with instability in the future .

12. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Antec Truepower 550W is more than enough for that system, the 955BE uses about 125w, the 5850 uses another 250w at max power, so that adds up to 375w, and allows another 175w for other parts. Of course it depends on how the wattage comes from (12v rails being the most important) but generally it should be enough without stressing it with things like massive ocing. Getting a overrated psu is going to reduce the efficiency of the psu itself, so you would want to go for no more than 600W unless you plan to xfire the system.

13. Bo_Fox

Bo_Fox New Member

Thanks Received:

Actually, the 5850 uses far less power than that. More like 120W less, even at absolute max. :toast:

14. Tyrael

Thanks Received:
    The real results is somebody... who has that card! Getting the results live is better...:)
    Oh well... too much internet research is overtaking everyone's mind...:laugh:

Ahem... its only a joke...

15. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    See my system specs...

I have a Kill-A-Watt meter, my PC is plugged right into it.

I have never seen it go above 420w under heavy CPU & GPU loads, and that doesn't take into account the PSU efficiency, so the PC is drawing less than that. It idles around 200w.

I say you'd be fine.

16. Bo_Fox

Bo_Fox New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey, I have that 5850 secretly installed into my butt-crack, so I know it like the back of my hand! Shhhh, don't tell anybody!

17. FuzzyDunlop New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks for that info ;)
    corsair is bit too expensive for me. I live in estonia and here in that antec price range i have a choice between chieftec cft-750w / tagan 600w / silverpower 650w / nexus 530w. :rolleyes:

18. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    Actually that's wrong, power supplies are most efficient around the 70-80% available power scale. Lower is less efficient and higher is less efficient. At least on most models.

Also I power my system with an HX620 and From the wall I never pull more than 500 watts through the Kill-A-Watt. With my system full overclocked and all. So a 550 will be more than enough to power that system overclocked.

19. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    You are going to want to look @ a 600W quality power supply or above. The truepower would just cut the mustard without any overclocking involved,meaning it would work but not sure for how long, and that's only if your buying new without capacitor aging.

20. SoulTribunal

Thanks Received:
    How many qualify for "Most Models" ?
    Yes there are 'some' PSU's that tend to be more efficent the higher the load and some that even do better when its 50 degrees instead of 25. But if you look at most CWT and Enhance SIlver rated Platforms, Peak SIlver rating comes in at a nominal 50% Load. And CWT and Enhance Make a LOT of PSU's out there.

Kill-A-Watt is very inaccurate. I would trust an actual Watt Meter or APC Load Meter over that.

ST

21. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    The Antec 550 will be fine for your rig, with room to spare and to overclock. Few people actually check to see how much power their PCs are really consuming. For example, mine under 100% testing load on all high-drain components (2 OC'd 9800GX2s, 1 OC'd 8800GTS 512, Athlon X4 620 @ 3.6GHz) takes less than 600w at the wall, which is under 500w from my PSU's actual output (after efficiency loss). Having measured drain of systems with a setup similar to yours, I can guarantee that PSU is adequate.

PSUs are also less efficient when loaded at smaller percentages of their rated output, so there can be a electrical cost savings over time by not getting one that's too overrated for your equipment.

Edit to add: you can count on the TP 550 to output power right up to its max rating without problems (short or long term).

22. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Technically and from a numbers standpoint the Antec TruePower 550 should be absolutely fine for what you want to do. Unfortunately Antec TruePower PSU's are not very good in the quality department. The Corsair PSU's ranging from 500-850 watts have dramatically come down in price and would be a good option for you.

JrRacinFan says thanks.
  23. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    I used to think the same thing and always used a [very expensive] calibrated electricity meter when measuring the power drain of my builds. A few months ago I bought a Kill-A-Watt and a Watts Up to test them against it. For PC-building intents and purposes, they were all accurate, with under 1% max variance noted across testing about a dozen configurations.

24. Bo_Fox

Bo_Fox New Member

Thanks Received:
    That Antec 550W might need a couple adapters like an extra 4-pin 12V connector for the MB, etc.. by the way..

25. department76

department76 New Member

Thanks Received: