1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Will the Acer 8600M GT 512 MB BIOS work on the 256 MB edition?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Gunn4r, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Gunn4r New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi everyone!

I was looking for a new bios for my 8600m gt, and found the ones for Acer 8600M GT 512 MB. I noticed in the details for this bios, the Vendor id:10de and device id:0407 are equal to mine.

Now in pcidatabase.com this device is listed as

Chip Number: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
    Chip Description: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
    Notes: Video card in MacBook Pro / Santa Rosa (256MB)

further reading down on that page I find

Chip Number: 0402
    Chip Description: gainward bliss 8600 gt 512mo silent fx pcx
    Notes: Dist. Gainward 8600GT
    Pending Submissions:

Chip Number: 0407
    [ Submitted February 23, 2009, 12:11 pm]

Now I am confused. What is the correct information here?

According to Everest, my GeForce is installed with a bios version 60.84.41.00.18, which is the same version as the oldest bios in the list in this database, dated 2007-04-23.

Is it the same bios? If so, can I use this new one on my 256mb? Can I modify it if not? Or perhaps (if I'm lucky), is my 256mb really a biosdowngraded 512mb?

Hope someone can answer me
    Gunnar

2. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    I would not flash 512mb bios on 256mb card.

3. Gunn4r New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you r9 for your hastily answer. Though I might suggest you elaborate your speculation. Yes, I am also wary about flashing the bios, that is why I was asking about it here, instead of just doing it.

Can someone answer more on my followup questions? Or did all of you just read the headline and jump to conclusions?

Thx

4. thebeephaha

thebeephaha

Thanks Received:
    Why do you want to upgrade the BIOS in the first place? You trying to OC more or something?

5. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I would really be scared to flash a laptop Gpus bios

because with laptops there are no second chances

6. Gunn4r New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks to thebeephaha and KainXS for replies, but unfortunately you're still not helping me.

Now why would I want to upgrade the bios? -Why do you think they make new bios codes in the first place? No, really I just like keeping my computer up to date in any way. And I was actually pondering the possibility to OC, yes.

I am trying to rig up my gear for best possible performance, as I just have started prescribing to AoC. 4GB Kingston HyperX low latency ram, and 4GB Sandisk eXtreme III SD is already in the mail, but for my current budget I can't afford to upgrade my T7100 or my 8600m GT 256MB. Also I would have loved a SSD disk, or the VelociRaptor.

There are always second chances, don't be so pessimistic;D As for older laptops, or laptops with inbuilt graphics you are correct Kain, But my GeForce is a MXM graphics module, and that is highly replaceable.

Anyone else have any suggestions? Who supplies these bioses anyway?

Gunnar

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  7. Gunn4r New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK, I am trying to take the matter in my own hands now. I have got ahold of my bios file and compared it with the bios in this database. NiBitor is showing me that there is absolutely no difference in my file compared with the one I mentioned was same revision in the first post.

I am feeling lucky, maybe I will try flashing the newer rom. If all fails I will have to do a blind flashing of my old bios...

8. Gzero New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol fail.

Don't touch things you don't understand. You will gain no benefit from the change of gpu bios.
    They won't match up.

thebeephaha says thanks.
  9. thebeephaha

thebeephaha

Thanks Received:
    Sorry we are not helping but you are going to break something. What if your blind flash fails? What then.

Also MXM slots while replaceable are not always compatible, my laptop has one but I can't just go shove any card in there, it won't accept them. It has to do with the motherboard BIOS only working with preapproved cards.

Lastly you can't put a velociraptor in a laptop, an SSD would be nice though.

You need to do more research because just flashing a newer BIOS isn't going to make it automatically faster. And for a mobile gfx card you are really going into unknown territory.

10. Gunn4r New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK, thx everybody.
    I compared the bioses, and basically didn't find anything that would justify a flashing. Case dismissed.

If it ain't broken, don't try to fix it:D

thebeephaha says thanks.