1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Will this gpu cooler fit?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by 1nf3rn0x, Oct 24, 2010.

1. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, I have some spare cash and I wanna buy some new gpu coolers for my GTS 250 tri sli rig. There's nothing wrong with the current, only 33 at idle and 59 at load though they can be a bit loud with three of them at 60% fan speed while gaming. So will this: http://ijk.com.au/branch/ijk/product_info.php?cPath=108_371&products_id=125096 fit on the cards fine? Thanks a lot :D

[​IMG] <<<Current stock coolers.

2. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    It should do :)

Proof

However, I can't see you getting away with it on all 3 cards? probably just the one of the bottom, due to size of the cooler.

3. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    3 of them are loud, but 6??

4. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    It could mean 6 running at half the speed of what the current 3 are running at, it should be quieter at idle... I'm not too sure about @full load?

5. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    Even at full speed these are very quiet, all you hear is the sound of swoosh. Not the sound of the fans motor. So 6 at them at full speed would probably be quieter than the 3 of the stock at 70%/80%. It also makes the cards look a bit more beefy and powerful in look than does the stock cooler. So i'm probably going to buy these coolers within the week or two. :D

6. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    just make sure you have the space required :toast:

Also the card shown in your first post look's like a none reference design, so the cooler may not fit your card, you may want to check your cards have the same hole layout, for the screws, if so then clearly you won't have a problem :D

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
    1nf3rn0x says thanks.
  7. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    Yes i was planning of taking one in store to see if the cooler fit first, before I bought it :)

8. Flanker

Thanks Received:
    these coolers will make your cards take three slots each (at least), if your motherboard is the one i think it is, only two slots are available for each card

and judging from the pic in OP, the fan header on the PCB is not the one they use on the cooler, which means you will need to connect the fans to molex. In my case, running at 12v definitely isn't quiet, 7v is quieter but it feeds current back into your psu which could affect the psu's lifespan

9. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    Is there anyway possible of seeing if it fits other than taking it there, and how exactly does the 4pin molex used for power slowly kill the psu, even with a normal pcb you would still be using a 4pin molex. thanks :D Just read, it will fit on the cards YAY, though I'm gonna have problems fitting them all. T_T

This is my proof, [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So seems all will be fine, can anyone recommended me some thermal paste, a friend at school told me Arctic Silver 5, any other recommendations?

10. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    MX-2/3/4 is better and safer

1nf3rn0x says thanks.
  11. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    Thankyou, I will have bought this by this week! BTW, i see you have the same coolers, how are the temps. With stock i'm currently 33 idle 40% fan speed and 59 at load %60 fan speed. :D But this cooler also looks much cooler and beefier than the stock ones on my cards :)

12. Flanker

Thanks Received:
    about the PSU thing, there are people who can explain it better: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article6-page1.html
    only applies to running at 7v tho. because it basically means shoving 5v back to the PSU. 12v and 5v are fine however.

I suspect there is a regional variance with regards to the connectors for their fans. I got a similar cooler (twin turbo, without the "pro") and fan connectors just won't live with the header on my 9600GT PCB :banghead: so I basically have to connect the fans straight to PSU and let it run full blast all the time (until yesterday when the fans died but thats another story)

I did run them at 7v when i finally got sick of the fan noise, temperature was really good, <40c at idle and <50c in furmark.

edit: there are the connector they give you [​IMG]
    and the coolers they provide to vga partners tend to be slightly modified to fit their PCB's

13. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    well im using the L2 which is the poor mans version of the same thing (smaller and 1 fan), they dont exceed 70C after heavy overclocking, and are slient at 100% :nutkick:

reseat the stock coolers first then try this method :)

14. genta3d New Member

Thanks Received:
    The cooler are support up to 9800GTX+
    While the 250 GTS are rebranding from 9800GTX
    Im pretty sure it will fit in.

But can your case fit all in ?

15. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    So what you are saying is that running the coolers at 12v with 4 pin molex means I have no way of controlling fan speed and that it will be extremely loud? Also is says the fan speed is controlled by pwm, so this should regulate the fan speed and allow me to change it if i'm gaming, benching etc.

EDIT: It seems the vga cooler CAN run on the cards pcb fan connector for the stock fan. So it seems no worries with 4 pin molex now. :D

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  16. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you have a side panel fan and good cfm out you could buy t-rad 2s and run them fanless, gpu temps will be lower than stock and will be completely silent.

Although vrm temps may be up, if you can beef up that vrm sink then that would be a great option IMO.

1nf3rn0x says thanks.
  17. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    Alright seems all is good. It also comes with free mx-2 thermal paste pre-applied :D Gonna buy the coolers hopefully this week. :) It also seems the custom cooler already with my cards doesn't touch the vrms either. So it should be an easy install.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010