1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

will this power supply be enough?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by rangerone766, Oct 24, 2007.

1. rangerone766

rangerone766

Thanks Received:
    as you all know i'm building a new rig. with the following components--

asus maximus formula se x38 chipset
    e6750 c2d
    3 74gig raptors(old 8meg flavor)
    2 hard drives for storage
    2 optical drives
    whatever they name the new ati card when it comes out in November x2950 i think.

i currently have a 470watt pcpowerandcooling psu. will that be enough to run this system?
    i do plan to upgrade to a 750watt pcpower psu in the future when i go crossfire. but if i can hold off on buying a new power supply for a few months it will really help finances.

thanks

2. Morgoth

Morgoth

Thanks Received:
    u need way more then 470 for that hungry beast

3. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Eh 470 PCPC may run that if you don't overclock....

4. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    you're probably better off getting a higher wattage psu, just because when you're really loading your psu, you're going to get be getting a lot of heat from the psu and its not going to be preety while ocing and running intensive applications because it'll put too much strain on the psu. perhaps an ocz silverstone or corsair 600w psu?

5. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    There was once a man that told me this a long time ago: If you have any doubt about a power supply and if it will provide for your rig. Get soemthing you know that will provide mroe than enough.

In other words, more than enough is better than not enough. :)

6. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    That is a very true line probably spoken by a knowledgable man...

Lol

Yes it will probably run it, but you would be pushing it, I would tend to get a psu immediatly if you get the 2950.... Always better safe then sorry, nothing would suck more than you get it, it works, eat your psu and boom you blow stuff up...

7. GLD

GLD

Thanks Received:
    I have one of those PC P&C 470's. Great psu! I bet it would run it, but like pointed out, if you don't overclock. It has 26A on the +12V rail. A hungy ATi card in there with all of that could leave you needing more juice. I just got my PC P&C 610 Silencer. It has 6 sata connectors and a 6 pin and 6+2 pin pci-e connectors. So you know with the 49A and the 6/8 pci-e connectors you are covered on what ever ATi card you choose.

I bought my 610 Silencer direct from PC P&C. I called them first to confirm on the pci-e connectors. If you get one from them you know you will be getting the 6 and the 6+2 connectors. If you order it somewhere else you might get old stock that does not have the new 6+2 pin pci-e. It a biggin' though.

8. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    It will run the system (minus the gfx card) without any issues.
    Its the power required by the card that may be an issue.