1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Will TPU join the Jan. 18 SOPA Blackout ?

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by RuskiSnajper, Jan 17, 2012.

1. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    Hi

Just with the reports of the blackout of Reddit and Wikipedia as well as other sites. Got to ask if TPU will join the show or at least partially ... a big banner or something linking to the events, post your ideas but I don't force any staff at TPU im just asking.

No idea if a tech-site would apply for this but still the community here is in mix with the rest kind off ... but it's not like a candy shop protesting for example against firework use ...

Btw TPU is not from US afaik.

A bit suspicious is the fact that some banking organizations as well as News Corporation also support SOPA. (but again ... not really a surprise there) Gives you an idea that the SOPA is not what's it's claims to be about, it's more about censorship of conspiracies and leaks imo, piracy is just a smoke screen but the gaming organizations are being duped in.

http://www.sopastrike.com/
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  2. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    I think it is a good idea, as many people should get involved
  3. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Add the following line to your hosts file and tpu will join:

209.85.229.147 techpowerup.com
    Mussels and _JP_ say thanks.
  4. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Thought SOPA was already dead in the water.
  5. Millennium

Millennium New Member

Thanks Received:
    Apparently it's not dead enough because Wikipedia is still going black tomorrow by all accounts. I think they just said they will modify it to take into account more people's views, probably this will mean it still gets passed or tacked on to something else and will still be almost as bad as ever
  6. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The views expressed in this post are my own personal views and do not necessarily reflect those of TPU, it's staff or anyone else.

While I understand the sentiment, and appreciate the solidarity these websites are displaying by being part of the protest, blacking out the websites for a day is a poorly thought out idea.
    The internet is a fickle place with most users having the attention span of gnat with ADD. About an hour into January 19th, no one is going to remember anything other than they were inconvenienced for a day when the sites shut down.

If the sites want to make a point, they should redirect their main link to a page that explains their stance on SOPA before redirecting the user back to their site. They can do this for as long as they want and it will reach more people (especially those not familiar with SOPA or who may not be online on the 18th) without inconveniencing the users any more than having to click once more to get back to the real site.

I'm all for the rights of a website to protest in an manner they want, but to blackout your site seems counterproductive to what they are trying to accomplish.

Just the opinion of yer Ol' Uncle Kreij.
  7. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    That is exactly what Google and Reddit are going to do. Wikipedia didn't said exactly what. Now we need to hear from Youtube and Amazon !

I have read through stuff and i think they don't LITERALLY mean to be http 503 error - there will be some kind of messages and banners.

Rupert Murdoch of News Corp (which owns most of US media) probably the main man behind this SOPA legislation has said on twitter:

Why the heck Anonymous doesn't hack News Corp and this corrupt dickhead already.

Many sites will have their own customized Partial Blackout.

This is a full blackout template: https://github.com/mcantelon/drupal-sopa-blackout

There really was no anyone saying the full blackout should be site unavailable.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  8. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
  9. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I think you're missing the point of the Wikipedia black out. The blackout is a voluntary demonstration of what SOPA and PIPA will do: make websites you think useful being seized by people who claim copyright ownership over content. Wikipedia, Google, YouTube, Yahoo, Bing, etc. would likely become an endless target for those lawsuits because the services they offer violate copyright intentionally or unintentionally in order to provide a critical service for the internet to be useful.

I don't necessarily support the idea of the Wikipedia blackout but I acknowledges the forces that are behind it make it necessary. I think most of the population (including those that wrote it) is ignorant of the consequences it will have. The blackout will provide some education.
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Some how this will not cut into my beer. Therefore I do not care. As a matter of fact I now support SOPA. Maybe less content online will force people to go outside and see the world around them instead of being armchair scholars and lazy thieves. Been around the globe and I gotta say the internet has nothing on the real world.

I'm old enough to remember a world without the internet. It was a lot easier. So I'm ok without the internet. I lived without it. As a matter of fact life will go on. Amazing I know!
    DonInKansas, Chevalr1c and AlienIsGOD say thanks.
  11. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
  12. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Then why are you here? Do you really want more government? More taxes? More people telling what you can and cant do? I don't think everyone should have a gun but I would never want the government to take my ability too.

By the way I also remember when we played outside and the was no Internet. Miss those days
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
    Chevalr1c and Super XP say thanks.
  13. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Regardless if SOPA is dead or just quiet for now, we need to beat it into the ground.

Did you guys know SOPA means Quiet in Greek :)
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
  14. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    yeah, SOPA will make most of us get "quiet" too :D
  15. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    I think that ███ ██████ ██ ████ ██ ████ ██████ ██ ████ ██ ████ ██ ████ ██.

--This post has been found in violation of H.R. 3261, S.O.P.A and has been removed.
  16. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Refuse all media. None of their garbage is worth buying, renting, or downloading. When is the last time you saw a good game? Or a good movie? Music is a joke right now. What a waste. Start the Boycott now, and keep it going until they make something worth buying!!!