1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Win 7 destroyed my SSD

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by nocrapman, Apr 11, 2013.

1. nocrapman New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had a 90 GB OCZ Agility SSD that I was using for about 2 years that was replaced by a bigger one from Intel recently via disk image transfer thru Macrium without any problems.

I wanted to use this OCZ in my back up rig, with a fresh install of win 7.
    Well I let the win 7 install format this disk during installation and then immediately it disappeared after a format. I tried using disk part, removed all other HDDs, reset CMOS, stuk this SSD in my main rig to see if windows would see it - nothing! It has gone poof... vanished.

When its hooked up a green LED is on at the back - but its invisible to the computer. I did not drop it or damage it in any noticeable way.

What happened to this sad? Is this reversible?
    Or is it gone forever. Since this is 2 yrs old is it even worth contact OCZ?

Any ideas, advice is welcome!

2. Ghost

Ghost

Thanks Received:
    Typical OCZ behavior. If it's still under warranty, RMA it, contact OCZ, etc. Did you do a quick format?

3. nocrapman New Member

Thanks Received:
    I did during windows install.

4. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:

The controller or firmware on that drive was garbage and OCZ is aware of it. RMA it and they should send a new one. I believe they now use the Indilinx controller and the issues have gone by the wayside. I had the same issue and they replaced the drive.

5. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    Agility drives have a 3 year warranty, so you should still be covered. But before RMAing it, you might try downloading the OCZ Toolbox software and installing it and the drive to a working PC, and seeing if it's seen by the program - if it is, try to update the firmware (latest is v1.7, must have v1.6 installed first). OCZ support may tell you to try all that anyway before issuing an RMA. Hope you get it worked out.

6. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Does it by any chance recognize the drive as the SSD's controller or some other fancy name other than OCZ agility? Try upgrading the firmware, or at least rewrite it.

7. nocrapman New Member

Thanks Received:
    It doesnt get recognised at all.
    I will try the OCZ toolbox suggestion and see if I can update the firmware.

8. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Right, ok, this very well may be typical OCZ Agility behavior but of course, because it's OCZ, someone extends that to the entire brand just like I was pointing out in the other thread.

Good luck, keep messing with it...