1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Win 7 - Favourite and least favourite feature

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Dazzeerr, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Dazzeerr

Dazzeerr New Member

Thanks Received:
    So most of us are now running Windows 7 and have had a while to get used to the new operating system... So i thought I would start a topic discussing what the best and worst features of Windows 7 are. I'll start.

Best feature - Search. It's MUCH faster than XP was and I'm always losing files or needing to find songs that iTunes has mysteriously lost it's path to. It's also often quicker than just going through folders to a file.

Worst feature - Wouldn't exactly call it a feature but not being able to customise folders how you please really bugs me. You can't put folders in order of your own preference.

Discuss :D

2. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    Snap gets annoying when you are trying to do stuff with 3 open windows..
    Cut and Snip is far better on 7 than it has been in the past...
    Windows Media Center Has an accessible Folder for new programs so you really don't need any Special programs to get stuff you want on MCE...It's simple to use Check my sig it tells you how to add any program to Media center..

I like the way it updates drivers since not all updates require a restart...Very few do

Oh and I love that you have a lot more Quick start options I currently have 13

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  3. fenurch

fenurch

Thanks Received:
    I love it all and I honestly can't find a bad feature about the Win 7. Strange..

4. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    Me too, its the first os from MS that can hold itself up without any major "care" since I am a bit thrashing it, to know how far I can go without nuking it with a tactical format! So far, so good, its been 5 months.

5. F1reFly

F1reFly New Member

Thanks Received:
    Search is horrible. If you want a real search program, check out "Everything". it literally indexes your entire hard drive in seconds and finds every file no matter what. Puts W7 search to shame and you can tell immediatly why W7 is so bad when comparing the two.
    W7 search, even with all drive indexed, there are lots of specific files it never finds. even when i know right where their at.

The best feature is creating your own toolbar, i customize mine to show only icons and center it in the taskbar so it basically looks similar to every other 3rd party dock out there.
    I like W7 ok, its the best MS made OS, but i don't use most of its features nor any apps. Most of what i use is games and 3rd party apps, i just find them so much better. All my icons on the toolbar, so i basically never really "use" Windows other than it as a platform and launcher for other apps.

6. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm really enjoying the snap feature. I often watch TV or a movie while browsing the web, and being able to easily split the screen space in a second makes things a lot easier. I also like how you can shake a window to make it the only thing up, but I don't use that as much. Other than that, the search seems about the same as Vista which isn't a bad thing really. I never had any problems with Vista search and it was one of my favorite additions from XP. Also, now it seems that if you're connected to the net, Windows will automatically find drivers for like 85% of devices, whereas it seemed to be about 60% on Vista and <50% on XP. I can't back that up with numbers but that's just how it feels to me.

7. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Media centre in ultiimate. My tv died last week, so started using win7 for tv, have an ati tuner card with a media centre remote, love the online listings even up here in Canada! Does good tv!
    Least favorite would be the new start menu, but you can use classic shell now, so, not a biggie! http://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/files/

8. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Just like with Vista, the only real thing that really annoys me is there is no quick way to get to your network connections. You can no longer right click on the network icon in the system tray and go directly to your network connections. You also can't right click on Network(replacement of My Network Places) and get there either, you have to go through the stupid Network and Sharing Center.

I despise HomeGroup also, sharing files on its own without me telling it to, just because I pick "Home" Network instead of "Work".

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  9. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    I like it so far, I'm using 64-bit on my main rig and 32-bit on the GF's laptop, no issues with Windows 7 yet.

I've also come to realize how much I hate windows XP.

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    stability: i can use sleep mode and never restart the computer (months of uptime) without an issue.

worst feature: WMP/WMC doesnt support MKV files by default... even after adding codecs, you cant stream them or use any fancy features with them.

i disable homegroup completely, so its not a concern for me

11. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    yeah i use Divx pro and i also have Arcsoft TMT3 but that should be something that is supported
    natively by WMC

12. naoan New Member

Thanks Received:
    stability, never had a blue screen caused by windows, it was all hardware/OC fault and even after then the OS remain stable.
    snap, absolutely love this.

can't call it worst just annoying, libraries tend to be slower than real folders especially if you have a lot of files there, i just end up using favorites more often...

13. demonbrawn

demonbrawn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Based on the upgrade from Vista, I love the fact that my wireless automatically connects to my router everytime I come back from sleep mode. In Vista, the wireless client couldn't even find my router after returning from sleep mode. I also love the customizable toolbar. Runner-ups: Faster boot/shut down times & snap feature.

I haven't noticed anything I don't like yet, but I have only had Win7 installed for about 3 weeks.

14. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Favourite: nothing in particular, but faster and DX11, I guess
    Least favourite: Windows Media Player 12 - total garbage, comes with ancient low-fidelity MP3 decoder that can't be upgraded, no more taskbar toolbar.

15. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    you mean quick launch? that can be added easily

[​IMG]

DannibusX says thanks.
  16. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    W1z, how did you add the quick launch, is it an option in Win7 or an add on?

17. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Drag and drop icons to the taskbar for me.

18. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    My favorite feature is the "preview" of open windows when you hover the cursor over the toolbar. And snap is pretty cool too. Stable as a rock. I also like the resource monitor and performance monitor.

I don't really have any "bad feature" complaints.

Edit: That preview I am referring to is "Aeropeek"...I couldn't remember what it was called. Thanks WhiteLotus - (post #20)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  19. btarunr

Thanks Received:
  20. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    Do you not like just holding the mouse over it to get Aero peak? Can control a certain amount just from that.

JATownes says thanks.
  21. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    Aero peek only gives you previous/next and pause/play. WMP toolbar used to stay at a corner, had a seek-bar, track info, docked playlist besides the play controls.

22. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    oh ok .. never really used wmp .. kmplayer ftw

23. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    WMP 11 + Fraunhofer IIS 3.xx MPEG ACM = best MP3 audio quality. Any DirectShow-based player could use that Codec, but the best audio quality came from WMP11.

[​IMG]

What Windows 7 Ships with:

[​IMG]

1.0x used to come with Windows 98 SE. Can't even play certain new-method VBR files, crappy audio quality.

24. razaron

razaron

Thanks Received:
    favourite- task bar/task bar pinning, and support.
    least favourite- that thing that maximizes windows vertically<<that gets really~ annoying.

25. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    why not just use the media keys on your keyboard?