1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Win. 7 Fresh install - No S-ATA Driver?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by sweeper, Dec 31, 2009.

1. sweeper

sweeper New Member

Thanks Received:
    Tried that. It gives me a message saying my system doesn't meet the minimum system requirements needed.

2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    kay. probably requires RAID/IDE mode to work - but i thought it worth a shot.

Oh well, at least we know why your speeds are capped.

sweeper says thanks.
  3. sweeper

sweeper New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm thinking of just reinstalling the OS with RAID enabled so the SATA drivers can be loaded and see what I get out of it. :eek:

What do you think? Worth a shot? Will it install with just one SATA drive? :ohwell:

4. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    you still cant get past 133MB/s (burst), your drives slower than that anyway (sustained) and the controller doesnt support hotswap or NCQ - so you wont get any benefits at all, unless you actually do RAID with another drive (and even then... 133MB/s cap)

sweeper says thanks.
  5. sweeper

sweeper New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok... I'll leave it be. That pretty much sucks. Oh well.

6. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Corrects, not benefits to this. And chances are the burst rate wouldn't improve much anyway since it is an older drive. And burst rate doesn't matter anyway...

You can re-install after changing the setting in the BIOS. Chances are you won't even need to load a driver, Win7 will likely have it already. If Vista had my ICH7R drivers, I would almost bet that Win7 has ICH5 drivers already. If it doesn't. it is easy to load them off a flash drive when it asks.

But, again, this won't really add any benefit other than changing the drive to show up as SATA drives.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  7. sweeper

sweeper New Member

Thanks Received:
    maybe I'm just to picky.......... dunno. I just like to have my OS installed correctly for the way it's being used. Esp if I add other drives maybe in a RAID array and get rid of this older HDD. My brother is looking for a SATA drive. Maybe I can get 2 drives and reinstall and run the RAID array at a whopping 133MB. :roll: or maybe I'm just OCD. :slap:

8. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    I don't believe your motherboard actually supports RAID anyway...

9. sweeper

sweeper New Member

Thanks Received:
    grrr... what a marketing gimmick! What's the point of having 2 SATA connectors, 2 IDE ATA(133) connectors, supposed support for 6 devices (4 on the IDE connectors, 2 SATA connectors) if the SATA is no better than the IDE?

10. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    purely for the new connection type. that controller is first generation SATA.

11. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    When it comes to a lot of hard drives on the market today, most do not even exceed the 133 MB/s speed of IDE. SATA offers some benefits, but speed generally isn't one, unless you are buying higher end drives. The speed increase provided by SATA hasn't really been utilized until we started to see SSDs hit the market.

12. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    fixed.

My best 1TB and 1.5TB drives peak at 120MB/s, with 90-105 being more common across the whole drive - and these are the best SATA II has to offer

13. sweeper

sweeper New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well the system is terribly unstable running in RAID mode since the chipset only has ONE driver that can be used to run the ICH5 which dates back to 2003. Any other driver or update will crash the system. So clean install of Win. 7 with the driver on a Flash drive created a mess. Back to the old IDE ATA install and I'm averaging 60MB/s for the drive. I'll keep it as is. :roll:
    Not sure why Intel NEVER updated drivers for this particular chipset. Guess they planned on phasing it out ASAP. :slap:

14. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    they probably forgot the chipset ever existed. like how they wish everyone will forget about prescott

15. sweeper

sweeper New Member

Thanks Received:
    LOL.... True. I'd really like to know why they even made the damn thing? It ran fine using it for browsing the internet, etc etc. , but no program could find the HDD except windows. :shadedshu:wtf:

I tried Sandra to see if it would detect the HDD and what it was set at but it locks up when searching for the HDD. Everest found the HDD but couldn't diagnose the speed or configuration of the drive. I'm like WTF? How can I have a drive and have it operating but no secondary programs find it? Performance Test 7.0 failed as well. How annoying can installing a SATA HDD be?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010