1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Win 7 iso burn, not working?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Arjai, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I am going to try and make this short-ish. Bear with me.

My brother, Older than dirt, has a computer. :( Sad because I am his IT guy, I am not an IT guy!:laugh:

He has effed up so many times, in the last three years, that it is time to start fresh. Re-install OS, clean it all up.

He is in California, I am in Minnesota. So, I found an .iso on Microsoft's site. Found a key that works, on some site. Confirmed it works, on another. All because he doesn't have an OS disk since his ACER didn't come with one.

So, I am attempting to use ImgBurn to burn the .iso and mail it to him, followed by a very long phone conversation, to be sure!

He sent me a couple DVD+R's and I can't seem to get it to burn. The error message is:

W 12:43:58 Retry Failed - Reason: Power Calibration Area Error

I tried using a CD-R and it is a tiny bit too small.:(

Is it possible to compress the image, zip it, and get it to fit the CD-R?
    Am I doing something wrong in Settings, causing it to reject the DVD+R's?

Any help is greatly appreciated!! I have been putting this off for over a month, Life doesn't allow me a lot of time for this! Meanwhile my retired Brother has nothing but time to ponder how horrible a brother I am for neglecting his needs! He doesn't seem to want to understand that My Life trumps his. :laugh: (I mean that in the most lovingly way, he is my Brother...)

So, here's hoping one of you awesome TPU'ers can help a buddy out, This turned out to be a bit more than my knowledge base includes. Sorry if this seems simple to you, it's new to me. I have never had to use an .iso and I am hoping to learn some more good info from this, the awesomest site on the planet!! :toast:

:lovetpu:

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Windows 7 was meant for DVD discs. Why not get a cheap 4GB USB stick, download an ISO (or if you already have one...use that of course), and use either the Windows tool, and ship him a Win 7 USB bootable installer:

Windows 7 USB/Download Tool: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

or my preferred one:

Rufus: http://rufus.akeo.ie/

It'll install WAAAAY faster than a DVD. Other than that, get some cheap DVD-R's and go that route. I would assume those DVD+R's just aren't going to play nice for what you want to do. That or send your brother directions. It's super easy to make a bootable Windows 7 USB installation with either of those tools. The MIcrosoft tool is probably the easiest method, but Rufus is the fastest and, for me most successful method.

What I would do is ship the ISO and apps on the USB stick to him, have him copy those to desktop. Send a Ninite.com install with teamviewer, have him give you the ID and Password once he runs it so you can remote on and assist him with creating the bootable USB himself. Then all he has to do is press whatever F-key to boot-to-device during POST.

ISO's aren't tough, just different initially. Using the tools above will make it super easy though. So you can either prep it yourself and send him the read-to-install Windows 7 USB or walk him through it. Both ways will be easy though! Hope that helps!

:toast:

XSI, Arjai and Mindweaver say thanks.
  3. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea, I keep it on usb now much easier an faster. :toast:

EDIT: and best of all no coasters! hehe

Arjai and Kursah say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    +1 for microsoft usb tool, i use it all the time

Durvelle27 and Arjai say thanks.
  5. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    Stupid question, I know, but. I won't have to have him get Rufus, to run the .iso...right? Doesn't seem the case but, I am drunk right now and I want to be sure, my reading comprehension has dropped off. Rufus looks to be the real deal but...just this little question about it.

Oh, and thanks!! Are USB's safe in the snail mail? Padded envelope and all, I know...?

p.s. it would be too much of a chore to walk him through it...plus, getting him to FRY's to buy a USB stick....No thanks...I am also sure the employees AT FRY's also agree with me. :laugh:

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Wizz...I wish I could frame your response.

"I got a post response from @W1zzard !!" :roll::toast::lovetpu:

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Lightbulbie

Lightbulbie

Thanks Received:
    I use just PowerISO and image burn onto the USB.

Arjai says thanks.
  8. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    I have a spare 4GB USB stick for you ;)

What version do you want and PM me with his address

/end thread :D

Arjai and sneekypeet say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    As already been discussed, Windows Vista and newer requires a DVD5 disk (Ultimate with x64 and x86 may require DVD9). I recommend burning at the slowest possible speed with an LG or Lite-On burner on Verbatim blanks. I also highly recommend checking the box to verify the burn. No sense trying to install when the burn is bad. I don't remember if Windows 7 can natively burn ISOs but if it can't, I use Nero. I only used ImgBurn for creating XP ISOs.

I rarely get coasters using the above method. About the only time I did was when the ISO didn't fully download (wouldn't work via USB either).

DVDs install around 20 MB/s. A USB with read speeds slower than that will not be faster.

Arjai says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    Mindweaver, Lightbulbie and Norton say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU