1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Win 7 Or Not?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by xkm1948, Oct 19, 2009.

1. xkm1948

xkm1948

Thanks Received:
    Just got the free copy of Win7 Professional X64 from my university's MSDNAA site. I have been using Vista X64 Ulitmate for a whole year. I want to taste the new system. however I do fear that I have to reinstall tens of thousands of software.

Should I do it? Will it worth it?:)
  2. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Yes, its worth it.
  3. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Yes
    Windows 7 is absolutely amazing, a very worthy successor to XP (Vista was just "meh" IMO)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    There isn't anything "mind-blowing" going from Vista X64 with the latest service pack to Win 7. Yes, you will most likely have to reinstall your tens of thousands of software if you decide to do the switch.

Can anyone explain why it's worth switching? I'm currently using Windows 7 from Vista X64 and I certainly cannot.
    driver66 says thanks.
  5. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Windows 7 just seems to feel faster to me than Vista. On my Toshiba X205-SLi4 laptop (C2D T8100 2.1, 4GB DDR2, Dual GeForce 8600m GT) I have Vista and Win7 and I have experienced a lot of performance issues with Vista (i've had to reinstall that OS 3 times to try to fix the issues). Games would be sort of laggy sometimes, Vista has a 1-2 minute blank screen between the loading bar and the Orb, and just a few weeks after a reinstall it's crawling. Win7 x64 runs beautifully on my laptop and desktop.

On a side note, my dad has a 4 year old HP zd8333cl laptop with a 3GHz P4-630, 2GB DDR2 and an ATI X600. On Vista, HD videos were choppy (they played fine on my Dell Inspiron 6000 with a P-M 2.1GHz, GMA900, 2GB DDR2). On Win7 32bit, the videos play very well and the whole system runs noticeably faster.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  6. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Gotta agree here...I've played with both quite a bit now. Vista x64 Sp2 kicks ass...I've never had issues with it, nor SP1...but it's very stable and solid for gaming/multimedia. I'm on 7 x64 RTM atm because I wanted to finally try it out...I haven't been playing as many PB games lately so I figured I won't lose out too bad at this point. Really comparing both, 7 feels like Vista, nothing too special or amazing...but it's the next way to go...if I had a free copy of both, I'd probably go with 7 and stash Vista in case I ran into something I didn't like. Both are solid operating systems, but hey if you have a free copy...I'd say give it a shot...hell if you have a spare HDD...disconnect your Vista HDD or do a dual boot that way you can compare directly and see which works best for you. I won't say one is faster than the other, though I will admit that while 7 feels snappier, I can't say it's a huge difference by any means.
  7. A Cheese Danish

A Cheese Danish

Thanks Received:
    Seriously, if you are willing to install all your programs then go for it.
    But if you can wait a little while and like using Vista, then stick with it.
    Or if you want to use Win 7 from here on out, then install it, but keep in mind you will have to install everything
    again. Seriously, it is up to whether or not you want to spend the time installing everything again.
  8. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I'm kind of with erocker, I only have 2 of my systems running Win7, the rest are still Vista.

Really, other than the few GUI improvements, I don't really think Win7 has much over Vista w/ SP2.
    Crunching for Team TPU 25 Million points folded for TPU
  9. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Depends what would make installing a new OS worth it to you. If you want a new look, some different little functionality tweaks to play with, since it's free I'd say sure go for it. Outside of that as others have said there's not anything particularly grand about it. It's not noticeably faster (unless you want it to be, then it probably is, don't listen to those who say it "feels" faster though, they're full of it), not more compatible (will be eventually though), it doesn't really do anything particularly useful that Vista doesn't, but it's cool enough certainly not worse than Vista. I'd wait until it was re-install time anyway for cleaning purposes, then just go ahead and switch over then.
  10. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Banstick Dummy

Thanks Received:
    I agree. I'm running Win7 Ultimate "Steve Ballmer signature edition" and the difference is very little. However what I do like about it is the fact its such a light install. No bloatware. But not really worth buying full retail for.
  11. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    I like it for the expanded quick launch icons (on the bottom) as I hate having NON-IN PROGRESS program Icons on my desktop for a cleaner look and less clutter. I do not think it's faster, yes it does load faster, but once loaded there is no "real difference" to 7 and Vista. BTW I installed it for the same reason you are contemplating it. I do like the some of the new gimmicks MS threw in with 7 though like shake, I also like the widgets without the side bar.
    But hey a fresh install is always nice unless you really want all of those 1000's of programs
  12. xkm1948

xkm1948

Thanks Received:
    Do you guys think it is good to install Win7 Clearly on a OVERCLOCKED system?

The reason is when I was first installing my Vista on my 3.6GHz Q6600, I could never get pass the hardware scan.
    SonDa5 says thanks.
  13. SonDa5

SonDa5

Thanks Received:
    I used XP XP3 for many years and never thought I would get past it till i tried out W7.

Loving W7.
  14. SonDa5

SonDa5

Thanks Received:

No. Set system to default settings.
  15. Reefer86

Reefer86

Thanks Received:
    I personally loved Vista and thought it was great, but i had alot of issues with vista (maybe alot better now) I would say if you have the chance to jump to windows 7 for free yu would be daft not too. Its a great operating system, it is a little diffrent to vista and better imo. If you dont want to lose loads of stuff go pick up a cheep 500gb harddrive and transfer some stuff before re-installing. Plus you can just do an upgrade and keep most of your stuff, but i would allways say a clean install is better.
  16. Dan2312 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I currently use Vista and xp, i use vista for gaming and surfing web, i use xp for playing retro games and stuff that fails to work on xp, i don't really need win 7 atm, i will get it eventually with an Ati 5870 so i can play Dx11 games. when 5870's come down in price and hopefully reviewed as decent and any bugs have been ironed out, thats when ill switch.
  17. {JNT}Raptor

{JNT}Raptor New Member

Thanks Received:
    An OS Install is like a stress test.....It'll find the weakness in the overclock......so chances are that your overclock wasn't stable.

Win 7 and Vista SP2 are very close to one another.........if you need the latest and greatest.........then grab it....otherwise wait for more compatibility..........your not missing much.

Hope it helps. :)
  18. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Well if you have win7 already id say wait till Vista OS screws up then try it lol.. Other wise sounds like every things going good as is so don't mess with some thing that ain't broken.
  19. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Except that 7 runs better on slower hardware.
  20. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    Try it out on virtual pc !
  21. JessicaD Microsoft Representative

Thanks Received:
    Xlm1948,

To learn more about Windows 7, see how it can meet your needs and to take a virtual tour of all the new features / benefits Win 7 has to offer, please go to the following link: http://bit.ly/7b1cY

Jessica
    Microsoft Windows Client Team
  22. Woody112

Woody112 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's what you call a placebo effect, most commonly used in the medical field but still applies:
    Also called the placebo response. A remarkable phenomenon in which a placebo -- a fake treatment, an inactive substance like sugar, distilled water, or saline solution -- can sometimes improve a patient's condition simply because the person has the expectation that it will be helpful. Expectation to plays a potent role in the placebo effect. The more a person believes they are going to benefit from a treatment, the more likely it is that they will experience a benefit.

So the more a person believes they will benefit from win 7 the more likely it is that they will experience a benefit. You can use advertisement, reviews, benchmarks in the place of sugar, water, and saline solution.:D
    jmcslob, El_Mayo and shevanel say thanks.
  23. xkm1948

xkm1948

Thanks Received:
    It seems that I have exactly 26 applications plus 30 games that REQUIRES total reinstall.

Hmm, I will wait until Vista kills itself......
  24. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    That's all LOL when I change over it's a bit more than that...:toast:
  25. Woody112

Woody112 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You guys a are crazy 30+ games. Last time I changed over it was like 20 aps and maybe 10 games, and it sucked. Hate doing that crap.lol Wow I can only imagine switching over with that many apps and games.