1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Win 7 Or Not?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by xkm1948, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:

i have about 20 apps, and 300GB of games.

its very simple to set your PC up so reinstalls are easy... tends to take me less than an hour (from starting the OS install) to having a working 7 system, ready to game (and all steam games installed)

partition, partition, partition :) only mac users install everything to the C: drive
    (yes thats a contradiction. get over it)

2. Woody112

Woody112 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've tried doing that before with a partition. I had one partition for windows and the other for everything else on a raid 0 array. Except when I formated the one partition and installed vista I was unable to play any games without reinstalling them, and lost all progress in the process. What is that I did wrong or could have done different? Kind of curious now!

3. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    steam is leechable, so any games you own via steam will run fine after a format.

after that, it all comes down to the games - most of my games run fine, however when the next patch comes out i need to reinstall them (which means i get weeks/months after the reinstall, before it matters)

Woody112 says thanks.
  4. xkm1948

xkm1948

Thanks Received:
    The fun part is that I have to dig through the giant "crap" mountain in my storge room to find all the applications/game DVDs to reinstall all of them.

Steam games are fine. But for other games like STALKER or Age of Empires, it's purely headache to reinstall all of the add-ons.

Upgrade is bad, clean install is worse. So, stick with Vista no matter how bad it is.(Got 8GB RAM, maybe there's not gonna be huge performance difference). I will wait until the day when I am finally tired of all the old games to do the reinstall.

5. t77snapshot

t77snapshot

Thanks Received:
    I jumped from XP 32bit to Win7 64bit and THAT was amaaaazing:rockout: My buddy went from Vista to 7 and all he had to do some reinstall a couple of drivers and that was it.

DO IT!

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    I have found a few things that just will not function normally in Windows 7 but they are mainly electronics emulation programs from the Win98 days. I've have noticed slow file copies, CD/DVD burning issues, "GUI lag" (takes time to draw the contents of folders and other pauses), and IE8 still sucks. All in all I like the feel for it (like Vista) but like Vista, it took getting used to. I don't like not being able to have folders show my icons like Windows 98/2000/XP/Ect. The control panel can not be made to look like XPs control panel when in classic view. XP ran alot faster and I haven't found anything in Windows 7 that I "need" but it does have a better look to it. Oh wait, MS Paint is alot better. I guess if it makes you feel as if your on the leading egde of opperating systems, need DX10 and Aero, then go for it.

If I could have DX10 and Aero on XP, that's what I would be using. =)

$.02

EDIT - Oh and not being able to customize the toolbar is a huge pita to me.

7. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    upgrading never had me reinstall software.

8. Woody112

Woody112 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Got ya now. I'll remember this for future reference.:toast:

9. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I always feel "safer" reinstalling everything.

10. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    If the tap-water isn't poison, drink it.

11. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I know man. Its just how I "feel". I'm not saying its the only way by any means. After all I have OCD so I even have a method of reinstalling everything :laugh:

12. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    But it is poison. Google water fluoridation. Controlling the population since the '40s.

13. Woody112

Woody112 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ya they've been putting fluoride in the water since then. Except it's the same stuff that's in your toothpaste, and mouth rinse, plus it's in very small quantities. They started doing this of course to help fight tooth decay as it was a major problem back then and have continued to do so.

14. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunatly it doesn't have any effect on the external enamel of a tooth when taken internally. :rolleyes: It's a byproduct of aluminium manufacturing and they needed a place to dump it. It's also a mood stabilizer (active ingredient of Prozac), and used by Hitler on the Jews in concentration camps to "maintain a docile state". Bad government, bad!

So what about Windows 7 now? Oh yeh, it keeps moving/deleting my desktop icons. :mad:

15. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Who the hell installs games on their OS hard drive? I have a separate 320GB hard drive dedicated to just that.

16. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Do it, it is well worth it.

17. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    ermm....30 games???! EL-O-EL, thats a lotta game-age but I perfer to uninstall the games I havent touched for at least 5-6 months. More room for pr0n that way. secondly, I got a dedicated 90Gb partition just for games (30Gig left out of a 90Gb partition)

If you can sit there & genuinely tell me that you actually play those 30 games. id say you need to need to hand yourself over to reality & have them drag your ass to the funny farm because my god - 30 games is excessive.

I probably have 5-8 games installed at the most if we count steam games individually.

got a lot more games sitting on my shelf though, but i dont play them

18. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i made a software toolkit (called the london CD... i burned it to CD when i went to london, name stuck) with all my essential software

its over 1GB now, but its somewhat famous at lans around here :D

19. xkm1948

xkm1948

Thanks Received:

I don'y play all of them all the time. But I would like to see them around there since I got plenty of space for them.:laugh: