1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Win 7 Pros&Cons

Discussion in 'General Software' started by troyrae360, Feb 4, 2010.

1. troyrae360

troyrae360 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, I installed Win7 64 last week,
    I am failling to see what the hype is, I think I still like my Vista64 a little better.

What I do like about win 7 is its smaller footprint and the fact that i didn't have to reboot after installing CAT 10.1.

What I dont like is the way windows automaticly snap to full screen (I actually hate that!! Its faster to double click the title bar anyway!!), and i dont like the way i cant just simpley open a fresh webpage simpley be clicking the 'E' (it just takes me to my exesting page) also dont like the way i have to hover over the taskbar and wait till it pops up with the diffrent apps then i have to choose(though i can see value to this function if you have more than say 10 windows open but the vista has the same sort of thing but only kicks in once the bar is full)

Maybe theres a way I can use vista interface like clasic view or sumthing?

what do you think?
    Whats your Pros and Cons of Win7?
  2. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    Give it some time. I found win 7 to be much more customizable and snappier over time.
    troyrae360 says thanks.
  3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I love dragging windows to the top to make them fullscreen. I really like that you can drag one window to the left and another to the right and have split screen for looking at photos and stuff like that.

Yes, there are other views you can use. Right click the desktop and tick "personalize".
    troyrae360 says thanks.
  4. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Could this qualify as a con:

Why is there a "Vista" compatibility option in Windows 7 ?

Should'nt software/games that run fine in Vista run aswell on 7 without enabling this compatiblity option?
  5. A Cheese Danish

A Cheese Danish

Thanks Received:
    Agreed. It allows me to do my homework a lot easier rather than flipping back and forth or trying to measure
    it precisely. Also, I like having my icons on the task bar, that way my desktop is clear.
    Oh, and being able to pin documents/items to those programs on the task bar makes it for easy access to
    what I use most.
  6. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    Snap to function is the bomb. I love it. I have been complaining about not having that for years, MS must of heard me!! :)
  7. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I actually like 7. It's stable and that drag-thing IS really awesome when you get used to it. The only problem I have is that some of the programs I need for school doesn't work.
  8. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    The ease-of-use things like erocker mentioned, the stability, and the speed all make me pleased to run 7. I had honestly written Microsoft off in terms of expecting any more good operating systems from them. I was hoping Vista would be the catalyst that would make Linux more ubiquitous and make Windows less of a dominating monopoly ... so for me to like 7 is saying something.
  9. kajson

kajson

Thanks Received:

Well for one, I like to have msn messenger in my system tray and not as 2 windows on the taskbar, when you run it as Vista compatible, the program runs again in the system tray.

Though I don't know if that's exactly what they intended with that option ;) :D
    TIGR says thanks.
  10. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    Argh that has been bugging me ... I'll have to try your solution. Thanks!
  11. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    You had the "show windows side by side" option in vista from the taskbar, but the aero windows managements are definitely faster and easier. And i like the better control over taskbar icons (icq, winamp, battery meter, etc)
  12. selway89

selway89

Thanks Received:
    If you don't like the small square tabs on the task bar and would prefer it like vista. Then right click the task bar and hit properties, and change the Taskbar buttons option to; Never combine or combine when full. I myself prefer this.
  13. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    I like it better that way too. I've always changed it from the default combine settings.
  14. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    I hacked it a bit to have separate icons but no text

Attached Files: