1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Win 8 desktop becomes unresponsive but system does not lock

Discussion in 'General Software' started by mastrdrver, Oct 29, 2012.

1. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    I just installed Win 8 and I'm having this weird problem. First off nothing is overclocked so I know it's not anything with that. I seems to act like the que depth for hard drive requests gets too high and it suddenly gets hung up trying to do something. I've had this happen twice to me. In which case I had to reset the computer to get out of it. There's no sound lock like the system hung. The desktop just becomes unresponsive.

This last time I was able to get to the start menu, but was unable to get back to the desktop. I could click the desktop tile in the start menu, but it would do nothing. I was also listening to something at the time and it kept on playing the whole time.

I was just wondering if anyone else is having this problem or know of a solution. I don't have much installed as it is taking me while to find updates for the few programs I use so they will work with W8.

Thanks for any help.

2. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    Could have something to do with one of the applications or programs that you have installed. W8 being brand new I am sure there will be a time delay before many programs actually have updates to support W8.

Keep us posted on this Mastr! :rockout:

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    Other then Steam and Origin, I really don't have anything installed. I've installed some apps from the store, but I wasn't using any of them the two times the problem showed up. I just seems to happen any time I start doing a lot of things at once. Transferring several files to different locations, deleting something, downloading BF3, FF open with some audio playing and doing it all at once.

I need to check to see if Intel has released newer drivers for W8.

4. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    I'm having the same issue as you on my desktop system. Just started so I'm investigating it still, but so far looks to be a RAM issue (memtest failed).

5. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    I pass a memtest, I know this.