1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Win XP install problem

Discussion in 'General Software' started by specks, Mar 9, 2011.

1. specks

specks New Member

Thanks Received:
    I want to reformat my computer but when i install winxp i get stuck at the "setup is starting windows" screen. I cant restart my pc by ctrl-alt-del though i can do it by pushing the restart button.

What do i do?
  2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    are you booting from the CD, or trying to install it from within windows?
  3. specks

specks New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes i am booting from a cd. My pc already has winxp installed. Will installing from windows reformat my pc?
  4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    no it likely wont help, i was going to suggest you boot from the CD if you werent already.

have you tried using the "F6" floppy driver (as they call it) for your SATA drivers?
  5. specks

specks New Member

Thanks Received:
    My hdd is still ide..what could be the problem?
  6. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I know what Mussels is getting at with the SATA driver. Does you BIOS have a "compatibility" option in it? This will allow XP to work with the disc controller and you will be able to complete the installation.

And on formatting: only if you tell it to. It has an option to leave formatting as it is. Generally when installing from new, it's best to do a quick format.

I hope you don't have any data that's not backed up on that hard drive...
  7. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    It does that when it can't recognise the HDD. Make sure the problems you had with your HDD are fixed by using one of the HDD diagnostic tools from Hiren's BootCD.

Oh, and it's normal for it to hang on the "setup is starting windows" screen for anything up to minute or two depending on your system.
  8. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    If your drive is working and you need to get to the data that is already on the drive, you dan do a "parallel installation." This is where you leave the current installation inplace and install the OS to a different directory that the default (default is C:\Windows, so you would install it to another director like C:\WinXP). However, if you don't need the data that's on the drive (or have it backed up), a fresh format and reinstall would probably be better.

I agree with the others in that you may need a special driver to load at Windows install startup.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    What flavor of install disc are you using? Is it retail or OEM (like Dell, etc.)?

Depending on what hardware you have in your PC, it could hang if there's something it can't recognise, and that can be dependant on the XP install disc you are using and/or hardware.

When you do an install of XP, it should ask if you want to repair or install, then you have the option of reformatting the HDD or not.