1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Win7 install, setup was unable to create a new sys partiton...

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Hybrid_theory, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
    Full error: Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition. See the setup log files for more information.

My drive setup is as follows:

Drive 0 200gb, trying to install win 7 on this one. This was installed into the computer recently.

Drive 1 Total 250GB. Has ubuntu installed
    Partition 1 Primary: 140gb, ext3
    Partition 2 Logical, 91gb ext3
    Partition 3 logical 3.9GB, swap

Both drives are sata, Drive 0 is first to boot from i believe. Anyway, i had an 80gb drive originally that failed, when i removed that I rebuilt grub on ubuntu to just recognize ubuntu and its own drive (drive 1). Thereafter I stuck Drive 0 in, and tried to install Win7 on it, and got the above error. I disconnected my ubuntu drive, and the error is still present. Heading home from work now, but pile on the suggestions. Ill try them tomorrow.

2. robn

robn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Maybe Drive 1 is set as boot device in your BIOS? Unplug any data-only drives, to make things simpler for yourself, and plug the Ubuntu drive back in if you want to set up dual-booting.

3. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    You should be able to set drive 0 as boot in bios. Were you using this drive for linux before? If so, you could try and use partitioning software, and just delete the linux partition from it, win7 should be able to work with it then. Just guessing here.....

4. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well i did try just the drive 0 right, and no go. I can unplug drive 0 and ubuntu will boot. not sure what else your suggesting here.

I will try booting drive 0 first, i think it is set to that though. it goes: cdrom, then hdd. floppy is in there somewhere im sure. Anyway, i booted my ubuntu and ran fdisk on the drive 0. it showed no partition (even after formatting on the 7 install disc). So i added a partition and classified it as hpfs/ntfs. Rebooted to the win7 disc, and it wouldnt install. Im not sure what was on this disk prior.

5. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    run hdd regenerator you also can run "partition find and mount" utility

6. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
    Switched drive 0 to first boot for the hdd, and it worked yay. stupid windows.