1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Win7 Pro Laptop crashes when resumes from sleep

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by BrooksyX, Apr 12, 2013.

1. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    Need some help here guys. I bought a new (refurb) laptop a few weeks ago from lenovo outlet. Just a basic n585 to replace my netbook. It came with Windows 8 but I pulled the HDD and installed a OCZ vertex 2 80gb SSD in there for a windows 7 install. The laptop works great but 9/10 when it resumes from sleep it crashes and reboots. I have re-installed windows 3-4 times now with no fix. What do you think? Maybe a driver issue?

Specs:
    Model # - Lenovo n585
    CPU/Chipset: AMD E1-1200
    Ram: 3GB (1x2gb & 1x1GB ddr3)
    SSD: OCZ Vertex II - 80gb

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  2. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Could possibly be a bios issue. or an issue with the firmware of the SSD, make sure their both running the latest versions.

Does the issue still happen with the Windows 8? Im guessing you still have the hard drive with the Win8 install on it, Swap it back and see if the same thing happends.

3. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    I will check both. No sadly I don't have the HDD with windows 8 lol. I sold it on ebay :laugh:

4. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    u r too fast to recover the costs :laugh:

resume from sleep is generally memory issue.

usual drill, put only one stick and test test test!

Also make sure you have installed all correct drivers.

5. LagunaX

LagunaX

Thanks Received:
    On a win 7 desktop bios this happens when PLL overvoltage is enabled in the bios.

But u have a non overclocking laptop so don't know.

6. lZKoce

lZKoce

Thanks Received:
    I have Lenovo and I get the impression they get this problem a lot. Check the support page of the laptop with your service tag/number for Bios update. Read the release notes and see if it mentions this. They release bios updates fairly often. I got this sleep-issue mentioned in the last bios I installed on my laptop.

7. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    Ok almost positive it related to the wifi card/driver. If I disable it in the device manager my laptop sleeps and resumes just fine.

So I guess first step would to be try to find a different driver and if that doesnt work I guess I can replace it. Used mini pci-e wifi cards are pretty cheap.

8. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    +1 on that...

And, you may want to test by trying:

1. Goto device manager, find the properties for the wifi card and under the power management tab set it to not let windows power it off.

2. In the power options find the wifi card and set it to max performance on battery and power.

Lenovo and other manufaturers have had this problem and still do in some models.

Here is a nice little bit of help that Lenovo posted: About how to troubleshoot power plans in Windows 7