1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Win7 x64, time changing

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Ahhzz, May 22, 2014.

1. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    ...all on its own... I can change the time to the correct time manually, or thru forcing a sync with several different servers, and it will change within minutes, or at most, a couple of hours. I've had it go back by as much as approx 6 months, and forward more than 6 (some time in 2015). I've disabled the Windows Time service, no effect. I've run Malwarebytes to make sure I haven't grabbed something stupid, nothing serious found. I've checked the bios time, it's holding steady and correct, with or without a Windows Time Change. anyone ever see something like this? Thanks :)

5 Million points folded for TPU
  2. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    have u checked bios?

3. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    Have you checked the Bios Coin Battery.

Also set time server to: tock.usno.navy.mil

Make sure Router / Modem time server is set to same.

4. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    time to change the bios battery.

5. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for responses :) I checked bios, it's holding steady, but I haven't changed the battery. Question, on that point. If it changes, several times in the course of an evening of use (ie I go home, it's set to three days earlier, some random time in the AM, I check my email, and it changes to 2 weeks in the future, some random PM time, and then even further in the future after 15 more minutes, without ever powering down the PC, is that a Bios issue?

I haven't checked the router, but then I have 5 other Windows devices on the network without this problem, and 2 of them on a lot longer than this one. Seems like if it were the router, somehow, the others would have similar issues...

6. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    Yes, still check battery with volt meter.

Also, check that Bios Jumper is installed correctly. On that note, also inspect jumper itself, I have had them break inside due to thin nature of metal, so it could be that it is not making proper contact with pins.

Random jumping around is odd. You could reflash bios. Disconnect hard drives, reflash, set up the bios, reboot, power down and reconnect drives, then boot to Windows.

While your in there, make sure you don't have a short somewhere with the case and motherboard.

Inspect motherboard for visible defects, bulging caps, burned area's and the like.

I assume you don't have a crazy overclock that needs to be turned down.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  7. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Then pull out the cartridge, blow on it, put it in while holding the reset button, then push the power button off and on.

Sorry, I thought we were describing how to troubleshoot a dreamcast :laugh:

What time server are you syncing with? BIOS sounds ominous to me, battery wouldn't cause it to go into the future. Unless your PC is actually a time travelling device.

Ahhzz says thanks.
  8. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    It's safe to guess that you're not connected to a network with other pcs, right?

Our computers at work are connected to a server and are set to sync to the "network time" of the server which is always 4-5 mins behind. Sometimes you get network issues if your time can't sync.

Maybe it's some piece of software that jumbles your time. Tho I have no clue what it could be...

9. Hilux SSRG

Hilux SSRG

Thanks Received:
    That's way too much to work suggested for a $2 cmos battery swap from your local drugstore.

FordGT90Concept says thanks.
  10. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    This is a weird one.... and I've seen weird computer issues over the last 20 years.... not sure I could eliminate hardware issues yet, but.... I would boot with a live distro of linux or something and run it for awhile and see if it does the same thing. If it doesn't, then it's probably something gone wrong in your windows install. It's why I always have 2-3 windows installs on my computer at a time, I'm always blowing up windows installs so I've got a fresh one ready to go at all times!

11. R-T-B

R-T-B

Thanks Received:
    Dreamcast did not even use cartridges, lol. That was Nintendos obsession. Heck, SEGA pioneered cd usage in consoles with a addon drive for their genesis console (NES contender).

12. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    no changes to the board itself in months, so no jumper changes. this only started about... 3 weeks ago? at most? I did flash the bios, which by procedure, also required me to reset the bios to default, blowing out any (very minor) over clocking I had done. I backed it down several months ago when I had a case fan break, and was worried about temp levels, so it's been a very cool and close to stock level since.
    Will inspect the board, but I'm really leaning seriously towards an OS corruption.
    I've even gone as far as completely disabling the Windows Time service (as noted above), and it still changed within 5 minutes on me, with the service still disabled.

13. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Go into the bios and watch the system clock. See if it seconds, minutes, and hours seem to be erratic.
    If so, then your MB's clock is out of sync and is not counting properly.
    Unplug the power from the wall.<-- This step is important.
    Remove the CMOS battery and press the power button for a few seconds.
    Reinstall the CMOS battery, plug the power back in, and start her up.

Or, you have some software that is messing with the clock... Look in the event logs for info.

Could be either; however, I am leaning towards the MB's clock has gone haywire. It is more intriguing.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  14. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    There's software out there that can synchronize serveral times a day. You may want to use that to keep it close to on time--assuming swapping the battery doesn't fix it.

Ahhzz says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    Event log just shows the sonnovabeach changing time at random points, jumping forward or backward, depending on its mood.

So. I KNOW I checked the bios time earlier this week. Know it. Remember going in and having a pain in the ass finding it, but I checked it. And it was fine. But, because I knew I wanted to replace the battery anyway, I went in to double check settings. And what did I see, but a time machine. I was going forward 9 minutes at a tick. Now, I also know it went backwards on me several times, but apparently, it gave up and went straight for Back to the Future. 9 minutes a tick. Annoying as hell. I'd already done the full power-off/power cord/power button shutdown, having resolved several client issues that way, but I hadn't actually pulled the battery to try it that way on mine yet (which I should have, based on a potential BIOS issue). So, pull the battery, yanked the power, held the power button, fixed myself a drink, and came back to reassemble. Merry Christmas to me. Thanks tons to Viper, for the knock in the head to actually apply tech know-how to my own problems, and his advice on the issue. Also to the rest for piping up with ideas and input. Thanks guys :) *cheers*

FordGT90Concept and 95Viper say thanks.