1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Winchip DDR3 1600 MHz 1 GB Kit

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Darksaber, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Darksaber

Darksaber W1zzard's Sidekick Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  2. Dippyskoodlez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Question: Do the heatspreaders fit like they should on single sided sticks, or is there extra room?

I've seen some heatspreaders made for double sided sticks not go on straight... defeating much of the purpose..
  3. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    wow, aside from the price, not bad performing chips from Elpida. Wonder what Microns will do.
  4. v_parrello New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am not able to understand the measurement points, and I can not figure out how it works the voltage scalings graph, and how is could reflect the truth.

For example, you wrote that at CL5 the memory are not able to scale because in your test you measured that the maximum frequency for the memory at CL5 was 533 MHz. I think this is because you use (if I understood well) 1.7 maximum voltage, maybe if you rise the voltage until 2.05 at CL5 the memory could be able to reach higher frequency. The same consideration is also for CL6 and CL7.
    If I understood well how you made the tests, imho the voltage scalings graph has not meant.

If I did not understand how you made the tests, it could be very useful if you explain better as you built voltage scaling graph.

Thanks a lot.
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  5. Darksaber

Thanks Received:
    I did try to raise the voltage at every CL level. Doing so is needed to create the scale graph. The system became unstable at voltages above 1.7V at tighter timings, even with just 2 or 3 MHz more on the FSB. I mentioned that in the Review:

To sum it up:
    The memory runs at certain timings up to a certain speed, bejynd that, no matter how much voltage you apply it will not go any faster. The Elpida chips do not overclock nearly as well as the Micron, so you will not see Elpida run at fast timings and high FSB - not much Winchip can do about that. They will most likely switch the high end modules to Micron when they get the chance.

Hope that answered your question.

cheers
    DS
  6. Darksaber

Thanks Received:
    Considering that they do not use any adhesive, they do fit quite tight, even on single sided memory.

cheers
    DS
  7. rampage

Thanks Received:
    i sill dont see the point to going ddr3 im running 2 gig ddr2 4-4-4-8 T1 848 mhz 1.9v and im breaking 11gig read in everest and averaging 42 nano seconds.. is there somthing im not seeing?
  8. v_parrello New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK!

I do not understand well! Thanks a lot for your answers.

cheers
  9. Darksaber

Thanks Received:
    Well your CPU runs at 3.4 GHz, that helps as well. :D Nice OC btw. my 6400 will not do a lot extra, not on this board.