1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Window 7 Installer Hates Me!

Discussion in 'General Software' started by TheLaughingMan, Mar 1, 2010.

1. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    I have recently attempted to install Windows 7 Pro (actually copy this time) and the installer will not let me. It first collects information about my system and the first thing it does is scan the DVD drive it is literally in and running from. Then it tells me no drivers exist for it and I need to either insert the driver disk or locate them on the HDD. WTF?????

My NEC DVD-RW ND-3550A does not, I repeat does not have drivers. The website at NEC literally states the DVD-RW does not require special drivers.

When I select the folder the drivers from the Win7 RC is located in (C:\Windows\System32\Driver) it claims the drivers are not in the folder.

Has anyone else had this issue before and do you know a way around it.

P.S. The Windows 7 Pro I have is 64-bit from MSDN library if that matters any.
  2. warup89

Thanks Received:
    Yeah i Had this issue before, try using another dvd/cd drive. I had to buy a whole new one to bypass this.
    TheLaughingMan says thanks.
  3. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    i have one of these DVD drives but havnt tried it with windows 7 install
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    I have another drive in my HTPC that came with a Driver CD because it has Lightscribe, so I guess I will just swap them. I will try that when I get home.

Folding is down for now. :(
  5. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    yea try a diffrent drive! i might try one day to install windows 7 on my HTPC with that same DVD burner you have.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. t77snapshot

t77snapshot

Thanks Received:
    I had this same problem on my friends comp and swapping drives did not fix the problem. Let us know if it works for you?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I've had this problem a few times, I've always fixed it by loading the drivers for the SATA/RAID controller on a USB flash drive, and pointing the installer to those drivers. The message is a little confusing, but it is actually asking for the SATA controller drivers, not the DVD Drive drivers.

And yes, I realize how stupid it is that it is able to load the DVD from the DVD Drive, but then says it can't find a DVD Drive...

In the OP's case, you probably want the ATI SB7XX RAID Driver which can be found here: http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=driver&maincat_no=1&prod_no=1739

You don't have to put them on a Floppy, you can extract them to a USB Flash Drive instead.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  8. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    That is very weird. The DVD drive is an IDE drive.....but if Newtekie is right, then I will just stick the MSI disk in since it has all the drivers for the mobo on it. Thanks for the link as well, I will download just in case it I can't figure out which drivers from there it wants.

Thanks everyone. I will post the results when I get off work at 11:00 p.m. and get home to try this stuff.
  9. Goodman

Goodman

Thanks Received:
    Could this because you're trying to install win7 over the existing one without format?
  10. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Possibility; however, the install has not gotten to a point to prompt me to format or actually install anything.
  11. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Quick Update. I tried the disk, no dice. Switched ATA device to :AHCI, no dice. It found "compatible" controller, no dice.

Downloading the newest drivers from link posted above, will try these as they seem to be newer.
  12. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Rejoice. The system drivers for the MSI site were more up-to-date and everything is back up and running....sorta.

Time for the birth pains (Program installing, System updates, etc.)

Thanks everyone.