• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 64-bit or 32-bit?

bcgone5150

Processor AMD Athlon XP 2700+
Motherboard Asus A7V8X
Cooling 2 80mm Intake, 3 80mm Out, Thermaltake on cpu
Memory 1 G
Video Card(s) ATI Raidon 9550
Storage 40G Maxtor 80 Western Digital
Display(s) Old 21 in Gateway
Audio Device(s) On board
Software XP 32-bit Pro
I am considering building a new computer and using the one I have now for a server. I was wondering if I should build the new computer on a 64-bit platform or a 32-bit platform. Anyone have any recommendations on the new system build. I am interested in the 64-bit platform so that the computer will last some time into the future. However, I have read many articles about driver issues even though the 64-bit os is suppose to be backwards compatable with 32 bit applications and hardware.

Or 64 bit system running Windows XP Pro 32 bit OS?

Also of concern is me being able to use my new 64-bit workstation with a 32-bit server? Is this going to work, is this a compatable situation.

Any and all help in this area will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

bcgone5150

Motherboard Asus A7V8X
Memory 1 G
Audio Device(s) On board
Software XP 32-bit Pro
Well I think that I have decided I will probably just build a 64 bit system and then down the road I will run Windows Pro 64 bit edition or Vista, however, for now I will continue to run Windows XP Pro 32 bit edition.

I will run one of the new 64 bit OSs when they have worked out most of the driver issues.

If anyone still would like to give input on this thread it would be great. I am going to start researching the components for the new system so if you would like you can also give input on them.

Thanks

dpalyu

64 Bit system

AsRock K8Combo-Z, Athalon 64 2800+, Rosewill 9550-128 AGP, 512 Kingston Value Ram, Maxtor 120G Hdd, Sony DVD writer, 350W PS, Microsoft XP64 Pro OEM. Only problem I had was with drivers for LAN, AC'97 and Video card. Found drivers for LAN and Sound on AsRock site and video card on ATI site. Final Fansity XI and World of Warcraft run with no problems and installed first time. Only problem is with Anti-Virus software, not installable in 32 bit mode. All other programs, Adobe, Office, printer work without problems. :)

wazzledoozle

Processor X2 3800+ @ 2.3 GHz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty SLI-DR
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9500 LED
Memory 2x1 Gb OCZ Plat. @ 3-3-2-8-1t 460 MHz
Video Card(s) HIS IceQ 4670 512Mb
Storage 640Gb & 160Gb western digital sata drives
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen LCD w/ DVI 5ms
Case Thermaltake Soprano
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 softmod@Audigy 4, Logitech X-530 5:1
Power Supply Coolermaster eXtreme Power Plus 500w
Software XP Pro
Windows X64 doesnt have much driver support yet, I would just wait for Vista.

Kr4nG

you should just get a 64 bit system but just run windows xp pro/home or whatever i use 64 bit with windows xp pro everything is fine everything works you should just wait for them to make the x64 os better for driver and stuff cause im waithing for that

spectre440

Processor Athlon 64 x2 4000+ (65nm Brisbane)
Motherboard Abit AN-M2 (AM2) nForce 630a
Cooling Stock everything (for the time being), 2x120mm fans (intake & exhaust)
Memory 2GB (2x1024) OCZ Platinum PC2-6400 (4-4-4-15, 2T)
Video Card(s) PowerColor ATI HD 2600XT 256mb GDDR4 PCI-e
Storage Hitachi Deskstar 160GB SATA 3.0G/s, External USB2.0 WD 160GB
Display(s) LG 17' LCD (L1753TR)
Case HEC-Compucase 6A, black & grey
Audio Device(s) On-Board 7.1 (realtek)
Power Supply Spire Zeno 650W
Software WinXP Pro SP2 (32-bit, for the time being)
wazzledoozle said:
Windows X64 doesnt have much driver support yet, I would just wait for Vista.
i agree.
no point in using a semi-complete half-working OS.

bcgone5150

Motherboard Asus A7V8X
Memory 1 G
Audio Device(s) On board
Software XP 32-bit Pro
Ya I hit another snag as well. Was banking on a job I had applied for and now I did not get it. So I have started to spec the new system out, however, dont have the money now. Will have to wait til I get a job.

dpalyu

Drivers

The only problem with drivers is that Windows XP Home / Pro / 64 PRO/ 2000 do not come with the latest drivers that will work correctly. This is why the Video card / Printer/ all-in-one/ scanner companies send software with their products and why you still need to go find proper drivers.

bikesair

bcgone5150 said:
I am considering building a new computer and using the one I have now for a server. I was wondering if I should build the new computer on a 64-bit platform or a 32-bit platform. Anyone have any recommendations on the new system build. I am interested in the 64-bit platform so that the computer will last some time into the future. However, I have read many articles about driver issues even though the 64-bit os is suppose to be backwards compatable with 32 bit applications and hardware.

Or 64 bit system running Windows XP Pro 32 bit OS?

Also of concern is me being able to use my new 64-bit workstation with a 32-bit server? Is this going to work, is this a compatable situation.

Any and all help in this area will be greatly appreciated.

64 bit is pimp. and a lot of my friends have FX-55's which are 64 bit and they work very well with XP PRO. dont worry about drivers you will find one. Get the Chip and keep the receipt. What Chip were you looking into of the 64 bit line?

bcgone5150

Motherboard Asus A7V8X
Memory 1 G
Audio Device(s) On board
Software XP 32-bit Pro
bikesair
"if your going to run a server, run it on linux. And yes 64 bit is twice the
computing in a cycle...but i just dont think its set up to run for a server. I
know you pay for it but xeon is kinda the way to go for a server. I, personaly
have never seen a 64bit in a server but im sure the exist. I offer no help to
you but my good experiances with Xeon."

That was the message I got from you in my e-mail noticfication from this tread!!

I know about the 64 bit chip and its computing power as well as the Xeon chips in servers, have worked on quite a few. The servers with Xeon chips are pretty nice. Especially when they have dual processors (Web servers)!

I am going to build a 64 bit system, my old computer is going to move to server detail, it is 32 bit. I am doing this to set up a lab situation for Windows server operating systems and my new 64 bit desktop for gaming will double as my client desktop. I will also be running exchange on the server. I work in the IT industry and I need the Windows lab other wise I would do Linux or Unix.

But the new 64 desktop is for me, really to game and play around on, it will be used in the lab setup though.

Probably going to be running some Virtual pc lab setups as well. Who knows I will probably go nuts in the lab setup.

Though I have to get another job before I can build my new pc and make the old one a server. The old one will be just fine though for server. I mean I play Battlefield 2 on it just fine along with some other games. I dont really need a power house, it is just a lab setup.

Thanks for all the help

Last edited: