1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 7 ($30 for College Students) Question

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Grownman, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Grownman

Grownman New Member

Thanks Received:
    I recieved the confirmation email from microsoft confirming me, but after looking at this offer, it says "upgrade". I am paying the ex 13 for a physical copy but is this going to be a upgrade dvd where you need to have vista installed then you can install 7? Or is it just like a normal OEM windows OS dvd where you install onto a clean or partitioned drive?

[​IMG]
    Kinda confused on their advertising.
  2. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    You can do a clean install just find off of an upgrade disk. No vista installed on the drive required.
  3. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Yep, as long as you have a copy of Vista/XP it is legal to do a clean install. I've installed my "Upgrade" copy of XP several times onto clean partitions, I just have to insert my Windows 2000 disk to show that I have an earlier copy of Windows.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Grownman

Grownman New Member

Thanks Received:
    sweet, thanks guys!

What about laptops where the reformat disk is partitioned onto the hardrive? How would you upgrade that? One of my family members has a laptop that has problem.
  5. FatForester New Member

Thanks Received:
    If they have a restore partition on their laptop you can choose to get rid of it in the partition manager of the install. Windows 7 upgrade offers a clean install no matter what you're running, I'm just not sure if you need to have Vista / XP installed before you reformat or if it needs the CD / DVD to verify that you have a legit copy. Either way a clean install is the best way to go!

When buying the student upgrade, after you confirm your email address, the site should say something like "Does your school use a domain? Click here." When you click that it will change your Home Premium upgrade to Professional for the same price! It's probably been mentioned here before but it's worth saying again.
    [Ion] and theonedub say thanks.
  6. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    btw, if your school is part of the MSDN academic alliance you can get the full version for free. you need to ask your school tho if they are a part of it.
  7. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    My school had contract with microsoft.And we could get windows copies for free from special student accounts registred with help of high school i was studying.
  8. FatForester New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea, if they have a contract with Microsoft I'd do that. Sadly the program we have at my university thinks that engineers only want the 32-bit copy of Professional, without option to download the 64-bit. I'll see what happens after the release, but I want to get a copy of 64-bit straight from MS, not through any other means (if that means a $30 investment, oh well). If you have an IEEE group at your school you can probably see if they'll sell it after the release. I got two copies of XP for $10 2 years ago and my friend got a copy of Vista Business for $25 through that.
  9. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    how do you go about getting this for $30?
  10. Lampmaster

Lampmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    [Ion] and freaksavior say thanks.
  11. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    This is true. I have been using windows 7 RTM on my Laptop and Desktop for over a month now and it didnt cost me a cent (ofcourse I am paying for part of MSDNA though with my high tuition costs).
  12. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    yea it is a SMALL consolation for paying tuition.
  13. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    yeah probably only a few dollars actually go to pay for the license from Microsoft. I was more stabbing at the high tuition as a whole. :p

Anyways a few bucks definitely beat paying full retail for 2x copies of Windows 7 Professional.
  14. Grownman

Grownman New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes, the university is on the microsoft list. I suppose I should choose professional over Home Premium?

* I will prob take out that partition on the laptop and just do the clean install. However, With this clean install, this means I need to download the HP drivers from their website since the copy of 7 won't have certain drivers correct? (HP dv6000 series laptop)
  15. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Almost all Vista drivers will work fine in 7. Go for professional vs Home Premium, it has a true superset of features
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Whoa, did not see that! THANKS!
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. JessicaD Microsoft Representative

Thanks Received:
    Lon,

Thank you for your support of Windows 7! Have you pre-ordered your copy of Win 7 yet? If you are planning on purchasing Windows 7 when it is released in just eight days it may be helpful to know you don't have to wait to reserve your copy of Win 7! You can pre-order your copy of Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, or Windows 7 Ultimate today. For more information, see the Windows 7 Pre-Order offer page here: http://tinyurl.com/kprhkp

Also, if you are currently a student you may qualify for the $30 upgrade to Windows 7. For more information, please go here: http://tinyurl.com/m7nyxa

Jessica
    Microsoft Windows Client Team