1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 7 Can't Login (Corrupt Registry)

Discussion in 'General Software' started by AphexDreamer, Oct 2, 2010.

1. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Windows 7 64 bit stopped accepting my password. I know I'm putting in the right one and its not do to caps lock BS or anything like that.

I tried two bootable CD's to try and recover/reset my password one recommended on Microsoft's site and another I got via a torrent which said that it couldn't read windows/system32/config saying it was possibley corrupt which I now beileve is true.

Prior to all this I tried doing a system restore but no matter what date I chose it always failed. I just did a start up fix and again tried my password which led me to another fail.

So I'm stuck here. I'm thinking about using my windows 7 CD to try and copy the backreg over the current reg but I'm not sure if that will work or if that is even possible.

Any suggestions would be great.

2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    do I understand this right?

you have a legit W7 disc and the OS on you HDD is corrupted, and the repair and restore features both fail?

If you don't want to pull the info off the drive via another PC, then I would assume the easy way to go from here is to rewrite the OS and not clear the old OS, leaving the windows.old so you don't loose your goodies.

I'm not real sure on the copy-pasta method of dragging in the new files on the existing OS.

AphexDreamer says thanks.
  3. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    So I should just reinstall Windows 7 not format it will make windows.old which will contain all my stuff and then just copy them over? If thats the case that sounds great.

4. tzitzibp

tzitzibp New Member

Thanks Received:
    hi,
    thats the idea, but before you do that you could try to copy the backreg over the current reg, as you already mentioned

AphexDreamer says thanks.
  5. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Ok thanks guys. I panicked at first but it seems the problem wasn't as big as it thought. I'm in windows reinstalling my driver and copying over my old stuff now. Thanks again.

6. tzitzibp

tzitzibp New Member

Thanks Received:
    great! :toast: