1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 7 Club

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by EastCoasthandle, Jul 26, 2009.

1. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    The repair disc is good for:
    -those with pre-builds
    -those with digital downlaods
    -those with retail discs: For those who don't want to use their original disc
  2. Super Sarge

Super Sarge New Member

Thanks Received:
    In the RC my machine acted up and it actually went to repair and asked me If I wanted to repair and I had no disc installed. However if you can make a repair disc that would be better than using your MS disc that is the one you want to keep pristine.
    EastCoasthandle says thanks.
  3. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    Bingo! :toast:
  4. wiak

wiak

Thanks Received:
    windows 7 installer installs repair mode into its own partition where it also puts bootloader unless it puts bootloader in C:\ hehe
  5. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    Windows 7 Tip of the Day!!

Right click on the desktop and select Personalization. Then look midway on the screen to the right and click on the option to "Get more themse online", Your web-browser will re-direct you to MS's Personalization Gallery. There you can select from a array of different themes. The best one so far is the Ducati theme. However, I would change the taskbar from bright red to translucent black. The next one I enjoyed is the Infinity (car) theme with it's all black look. Both the Ducati and Infinity theme pack offer the best artistic style. Coming in 3rd is the Avatar theme.

Make no mistake there are plenty of different types of themes to choose from. So take a look at all of them.

The next tip is a 10 minute video that offers some insight of what windows 7 will offer you as the consumer. You can watch that video here.

Enjoy!
    [Ion], ace80 and HammerON say thanks.
  6. ace80

ace80

Thanks Received:
    Add me to the list!
    Got my copy of Win 7 Home Premium today. I was supposed to get it on release day as i had pre-ordered it, unfortunatly i lost my wallet 2 days before, cancelled all my cards and they couldn't take payment :banghead:

Install went like a charm and everything worked straight away without having to install drivers, execpt my Win Nova T t.v card but win update picked that up.
  7. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Installed a few hours ago, and I'm not entirely pleased with some things (like the start menu) but that's because I haven't found everything yet. Feels good though. It's just as fast as a fresh install of WinXP. :)

Just one question though: I'm trying to edit a .reg file, but I can't save it as .reg. It says "Access is denied". I assume it has something to do with rights and so on, but how do I do? I miss sudo.
  8. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Do you have UAC enabled?
  9. Frick

Thanks Received:
    ... Probably.

Not anymore.

Still the same. I can save the .reg file with the same name on another location and then replace the original file with the new one, but that's just annoying.
  10. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried holding Ctrl + Shift?
  11. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    a little late but i got my windows 7 ultimate 64bit on the 22 and been using it ever sence. all my games and programs installed fine except civilization complete it would not install. ather then that i like win7 a lot.
  12. THRiLL KiLL

THRiLL KiLL

Thanks Received:
    i wrote this up on my "home" forum
    http://www.forumapex.com/general_os_tweaks/160410-7_tweaks_for_windows_7_a.html

its a very basic tweaking guide, and i figured it would fit here.

1. Turn On "Best Performance"

Start >> Control Panel >> System and Security >> System >> Advanced system >> Settings (button) and then choose "adjust for best performance"

This will kill all the visual effects, but things will run faster.

2. Turn Of User Access Control (UAC)

Start >> Control Panel >> User Accounts and Family Safety >> User Accounts >> Change User Account Control setting >> Set slider to Never Notify

although not as annoying as vista, it still prompts you.

3. Turn off System Restore.

Start >> Control Panel >> System and Security >> System >> System Protection >> Configure (button) >> Turn off System Protection.

Some people will want this option, but this does take resources.

4. Turn Off un-needed Services.

Windows 7 Service Configurations by Black Viper

Above is an awesome site dedicated to tweaking windows services.

5. Disable IPv6

Start >> type Regedit then go to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TCPIP6\Parameters

Create a new dword value (32bit) called: DisabledComponents

For the value put in: ff

What this will do is disable Ipv6, which for some people will cause programs not to work.

6. Turn off Un-needed programs at statup

Start >> type Msconfig >> Startup (tab)

and then deselect any programs you dont need to start with windows.

7. Speed up Internet Explorer 8

Start >> type Regedit then go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings
    Create a new dword value (32bit) called: MaxConnectionsPerServer
    For the value put in: a

Create a new dword value (32bit) called: MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server
    For the value put in: a

This will allow more connections at a time and will speed up browsing
    EastCoasthandle and stinger608 say thanks.
  13. Frick

Thanks Received:
    When doing what?
  14. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    When you fap. Cuts down on chafing.
  15. ace80

ace80

Thanks Received:
    This is the 1st time i've used the 64bit version and i've noticed that i have 2 program files folders (program files and program files (x86)) and also 2 internet explorers. Is this normal?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    ace80 says thanks.
  17. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    Yes, Windows installs the Program files (x86) for programs and apps that have to be run from a 32 bit environment.
    ace80 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  18. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Can I disable the UAC notification for specific programs? When a program is run in compability mode, the UAC activates. Somw notifications is allright and I don't want to turn it off completely..
  19. Boyfriend New Member

Thanks Received:
    No. UAC can't be disable for some program. It's settings are global.
  20. 1933 Poker

1933 Poker New Member

Thanks Received:
    YAY, I'm in this club.:laugh:
  21. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Anyone know when WDDM 2.0 is going to be released?

I was really sad when Win 7 wasn't released with it.
  22. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    That's later but on what OS and when is really up in the air. And, you would need companies like amd, intel, etc to come on board with a drivers for it as well.
    -------------------------------
    If you wandered what's the deal with all the bloat, it appears that OEMs are to blame. Unless there is other information not presented in this article.

Source

3 minute bootup time on a laptop :wtf: :shadedshu
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  23. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    I WANT HORIZONTAL SPAN NOW! I really do...:cry:
  24. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    Win7 Tip of the Day!

Well, Win7 is finally here and most motherboard and OEM manufactures have updated their download section to include win7 specific chipset drivers. Some of you probably already clicked on the .exe of that chipset driver update program let it do its thing and haven't given it much thought until reading this post. But let me ask you something:
    -Did the chipset driver program tell you to reboot your PC?
    -Did the chipset driver update take more then a minute?

If you answered no to these questions I ask that you take a look in your Device Manger and examine the driver dates of the follow areas (note: that these are suggested areas of interest. You will need to check other devices as well):
    -IDE ATA/ATAPI controller: (or whatever it's called on your PC). Open this up and look at the controllers that are found within. Some may be named based on your chipset manufacture. For example if you own a Intel chipset the phrase for that device will usually start with "Intel(R) ICH...". Open that up and look at the date of the drivers. If it was 2006 (or so) its a good hunch that no update drivers were installed (but that depends on your chipset update drivers.

-System Device: Open this up and again look for devices that start with the name of your chipset and check the driver dates.

-Universal Serial Bus Controllers: Wash and repeat the above steps.

If you find a trend of driver dates of 2006 (for example) it's possible that no updated Win7 drivers were ever installed. This is where you have to manually install them. What you need to do is download the none .exe version of your chipset driver (if available). Then extract it on your hard drive. If you do not have an archive version of your Win7 chipset driver then see if the .exe chipset driver program can be extracted using winrar. If so then extract it to a location of your choice.

Now here is were thing become tedious. You are going to have to go back and open one device at a time and tab over to Driver and select the Update Driver button. Here is what you do:
    -Select Update Drive from the Driver tab of that device
    -Select Browser my computer for driver software
    -Navigate to where the updated, extracted drivers is located on your hard drive
    -Check the option to Include Subfolders
    -Select the Next button to start the search
    The end result (if it's the appropriate device) is that it will update driver for that device and the date of the driver should be more current. The process itself should only take a second or 2 per device. However you will need to do this for all devices that indicate that they relate to your chipset (IE: Intel(R)...). And, double check those devices that do not appear to relate.

During that time some devices may show up as having yellow exclamation points. Don't worry you currently have mix-matched drivers which causes conflicts. Once you update those other drivers those conflicts should go away (unless there is some underlying problem). During this tedious process you maybe asked to reboot. If you are, reboot at that time and continue were you left off.

The whole process should take less then 10 minutes (depending on how often you need to reboot). However, once you checked all the devices you should have no problems. Again, please take the time to examine all of your devices as each motherboard chipset update program may update other devices not mentioned in this post. Once completed reboot your PC even if never asked to do so.

This is specifically for chipset drivers that identify themselves as an update for windows 7. As with any manual update of chipset drivers you do this at your own risk!
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  25. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Been running the Beta since the beginning of the year, and got the RTM in mid-August thanks to MSDNAA and my dad's Action Pack subscription. Windows 7 has been great! It even found all of the drivers that Vista never originally had for my 2 year-old Toshiba X205-SLI4 (C2D T8100 45nm on a PM965/ICH8M + 2 GeForce 8600M GT GDDR3 (80nm) video cards).
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD