1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 7 Club

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by EastCoasthandle, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=18551

in my case i have 16 "errors" but most of them are just warnings about USB devices that may cause problems (but dont, as sleep mode works fine)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  2. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    Hiho...

A random tip I found googling

Try this:

Windows 7 Master Control Panel:

1. Make a new folder anywhere you want.
    2. Rename it
    3. Paste this as folder name.
    Code:
    [B]GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}[/B]
    4. Viola now you have a master control panel xD (It has every option placed into one panel, From folders to system properties)

hehe

You can change the name into anything else xD

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  3. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the tip.

psyko12 says thanks.
  4. beyond_amusia

beyond_amusia New Member

Thanks Received:
    I should be on this list =P Been using 7 Ultimate x64 RTM since Aug 6 as my main OS and I moved from Vista to the 7 Beta about a year ago.

5. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    No problem man, in fact I've tested and used some of your tips in the front page and some in between most of them are quite useful! :toast:

6. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Got it, hate it, thinking about getting a refund on it. It offers nothing useful over XP x64 except DirectX11 (which isn't very useful to me).

For those of you who do not have intimate knowledge of "XP Mode," it does not support 3D acceleration (OpenGL nor Direct3D) so that means no games or professional CAD programs.

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    it is unfortunate you do not like it.

I suggest taking the time - while you may be a diehard XP fanatic at heart, XP's time is limited. Support is dying off for the OS, and you'll have to upgrade sooner or later.

Dual boot or something, and give yourself time to adjust.

8. DirectorC

DirectorC New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's a highly subjective opinion. I can't get by without the look & feel of Aero, I could never go back to the old taskbar, I love my Libraries, and I use the new organization methods and search system of Explorer all the time. I love the way My Computer looks with Vista/7. Also, can't go back to how slow XP is.

9. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    XP64 is not the same os as XP. It is much faster, more stable ect. However, I also use Win7 64, it is even faster. Much faster. And with the sourceforge classic start menu, I can use it just as fast now too: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cla...ow with skins!/ClassicShellSetup.exe/download
    I bounce back and forth between xp64 and win7 64, mostly to run games in dx9 mode under xp64, because it's still much faster for that. Win7 can't be beat for things like Media center, love my live tv listings! Most older games run perfect under win7 64, even an old game called Red Baron 3D, that first came out in 98! I can see a time when all I will use will be win7 x64, and then win8 x64!

10. DirectorC

DirectorC New Member

Thanks Received:
    You have a good point in that. XP 64-bit is basically Server 2003 with Themes enabled.

Either way it's an aged OS at this point. It's still the biggest, but it IS on its way out and Win 7 will be the biggest soon enough.

11. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    I would not be inclined to use a Windows product at this time.

All you have to do is stop the Themes service to make it return to a semi-Windows 2000 appearance. Everything important to me is already organized on my server in a directory hive. My Computer is too cluttered on Vista/Win 7.

XP x64 is by no means slow. In many regards, it is actually faster. Time to boot, queuing up music in WMP, time to shut down, etc. The only scenario in which Windows 7 is faster is in bringing up the network browser when there is an Active Directory Domain server present. Nevermind all the time wasted clicking through security dialogs and navigating an unintuitive menu I despised since it was introduced in Windows XP (and can no longer use the classic menu, I might add).

Also can't forget how much time I waste trying to find an application sitting in the system tray. I often have a dozen windows open and am rapidly switching between them, closing one, opening another, etc. Windows 7's taskbar is multiplying the time it takes for me to do that by factors in the double digits. It is extremely frustrating.

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. DirectorC

DirectorC New Member

Thanks Received:
    Maybe with enough consumer outcries they will include the ability to go back to the old style system tray behavior in future upgrades or releases. Again this is personal, I don't feel this way because there's only a handful of systray icons I ever wanna see all the time, and I really hardly ever access the others. For me almost everything about the new taskbar is way better than the old.

13. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

you dont need to do anything for the old system tray behaviour, its all there.
    Yeah, my steam menus have merged under the one thing
    [​IMG]

but thats a good solution to having a full tray.

The only thing missing is the classic start menu, and there is mods for that.

14. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm joining the club! Using a laptop(which is my main rig) that come supplied with free win 7 premium upgrade! But I have to wait a few days for the postage to come, they just notified me that it was sent just yesterday.

15. DirectorC

DirectorC New Member

Thanks Received:
    You mean taskbar though, not system tray (!). The system tray icons cannot be configured to simply slide in and out like in XP/Vista.

16. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    what do you mean by slide in/out?

[​IMG]

My icons are either down the bottom, or hiding away in the popup - i choose which one they go to. I see no problems with this? (and 7's brainwashed me, so i cant even remember how XP did it)

17. DirectorC

DirectorC New Member

Thanks Received:
    The way hidden icons used to work, where it would hide the inactive system tray icons behind the arrow (<) button next to the system tray. :slap:

18. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    the arrow goes up now. Its umm, not that different.

DirectorC says thanks.
  19. DirectorC

DirectorC New Member

Thanks Received:
    LOL no doubt. It's FordGT90Concept who's got a gripe about it :p

20. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    maybe he just couldnt find the button :D

the up makes sense, since it doesnt eat into taskbar space anymore. My taskbar is always full (especially on my HDTV), so it goes beyond "makes sense" and into "damn right, i need that"

21. DirectorC

DirectorC New Member

Thanks Received:
    I even rather look at a sorted box of icons rather than a long row.

22. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    use img tags, its easier.

I still dont get what you mean, what exactly are you talking about being different?

24. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Pinning, reliance on icons rather than descriptive names, and thumbnails. The first is resolved by unpinning everything that is pinned and substituting it with a new toolbar continaing links. The second is fixed by displaying the text (don't remember where I did that). The third is fixed through disabling Aero (using a "basic or high contrast" theme).

Let's just say first impressions are very poor but, as they say, never judge a book by its cover. I'll enquire about a refund tomorrow and give it until the end of the week before applying for an RMA. If I don't warm up to it by then, I never will.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    do what i do with every new OS, give it a month.

The thing is, you're trying to use 7 as XP. You're not trying to use 7 as 7.
    its like driving a manual car for years, and getting into an auto - and complaining that no matter how hard you move the window winder, the gears just wont change.

You need to learn what works differently, as opposed to trying to make it work the same. Dont like the new start menu? well shit, i hated it. i was a classic start menu man as well.

Now i find it easier to use, and cant stand the clunky, slow XP method. i type the first letter or two of what i'm looking for, just like i do with autocomplete in IE or firefox.