1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 7 Club

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by EastCoasthandle, Jul 26, 2009.

1. DirectorC

DirectorC New Member

Thanks Received:
    I stick to codecs + Media Player Classic Home Cinema and VLC.
  2. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Nothing Beats Media Player Classic.
  3. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    i allways use winamp i never use windows media player
  4. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    WMP12 is the one thing I actually do hate about Win 7. I want my Now Playing view back, and it always goes unresponsive in Library view when browsing folders with a ton of files.
  5. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Exactly! I only have the playlists on my computer which link to the actual music files on my server. With WMP 11, there was no delays, ever. In WMP 12, it's always hanging and being a general PITA. They better either fix it or get rid of it. There are no excuses for its crappiness.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. DirectorC

DirectorC New Member

Thanks Received:
    I found a version of the old Movie Maker which was also WAY better pre-Win7 that was hacked to work on Win7. Maybe you can get your hands on the same for MP11.
  7. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
  8. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
  9. MAGMADIVER

MAGMADIVER New Member

Thanks Received:
  10. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    No reason it shouldn't work. Just make sure to do Program Files (x86) instead of Program Files. WMP11 and 12 are both 32-bit regardless if you have x64 installed or not. I'm gonna try it...

Edit: It does not work on Windows 7. The executable can't touch the System32 directory. Why didn't those idiots just zip up the files? Installer, in this case, is a serious PITA.

Edit 2: You'll have to do "sfc /scannow" in order to repair the damage done to Window Media Player 12 if you try this.

Also, I suppose you can add me to the Windows 7 Club. I'm not going to return it (that doesn't mean I don't have a lot of serious beefs with it).

Edit 3: sfc /scannow did not repair the damage. I'm going to have to reinstall windows to get it back.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I'm pretty sure you also have to install the x64 version.

I'm gonna try this a different way. I downloaded the wmp11 installer for xp and xp x64 straight from MS. It can also be used for Vista, even tho it's not mentioned in the downloads page. I'm gonna uninstall wmp12 from the Turn windows features on or off link in the Programs control panel.

Then I'll delete the versions key, then see if wmp11 will just install. I'll use ORCA if the installer blocks it for improper windows versions.
  12. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    I only mentioned what I saw. I don't use wmp myself. I have so many other media players, I just don't need it. Winamp for instance for mp3s.... Media player classic HD, VLC, so many... why use wmp?
  13. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    WMP is still the best thing for wma/wmv, and I need it to test the occasional codec/filter tweak, as whatever it displays is what avisynth decoding will display in ps3 media server and Mediacoder.
  14. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Okay. Just for me wmp12 works perfect under win7 64. Do prefer wmp11 because of skin mode, don't like the library view, but it works just fine.... Still have no use for it though....
  15. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I don't like having to use it, but if I'm gonna be stuck using it, I'd like it to not freeze up in my large library folders all the time, and I'd like to have a more comfortable interface. It's still buggy. It's basically only beta quality software, which is kind of inexcusable in a product that's out of beta.
  16. MAGMADIVER

MAGMADIVER New Member

Thanks Received:
    For me I think that is the point...I have tried my best to pare down all the media players to have just one or two. Thus I want to use one that is ubiquitous and easy to use. WMP 11 was that for me.
  17. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Let me know if it works. I already reinstalled Windows so I don't want FUBAR another install.

The problem I had is that only a "TrustedInstaller" can touch the %WinDir%. I don't even know how to make a TrustedInstaller (assuming it is even possible). :(
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. MAGMADIVER

MAGMADIVER New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think it is funny how microsoft is so obtuse in certain aspects of windows...they dont scuttle customization for the OS but they make WMP 12 seemingly impossible to work with. Not to mention they are stupid with 3 organic media players WMC, WMP and Zune software....you'd think they'd make one with the functionality of all 3. It just seems microsoft's right hand doesn't even know what its left hand is doing. Sad really, considering the resource and talent depth they have they still screw up such a simply aspect of the OS.
  19. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    well, i like WMC being kept seperate - its designed for TV tuner and remote control, which makes it clunky for mouse/keyboard use.
  20. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Quick Question for Those users who have not installed Windows Live Messenger. Is Windows Live Sign-In Assistant and Windows Live Upload Tool installed on yall's machines? Im not 100% if Windows Live Messenger installs it or not.
  21. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i've got sign in assistant. dunno about upload tool.
  22. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    I deleted windows live messenger from system so i dont use it :) I got Skype
  23. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    I fully agree with you.
  24. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Skype Causes my Computer to crash and on my laptop stop responding 30 min in a call. Not sure what it is but I hate skype from my experience. Which sucks Cause I want to like it. :p
  25. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Bah, my wmp11 downgrade did not go well, now I can't go back to wmp12 either, even if I completely uninstall it, then reinstall it. Oh well, guess I'll leave it uninstalled.