1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 7 Confirmed for 2010

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, Mar 13, 2008.

1. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    Microsoft has confirmed that Windows 7 is on track for release in 2010. During its internal "MGX" global sales meeting this week, Microsoft witnessed that the code name for Vista's successor is "Windows 7" and the project is due to see light in approximately three years.
    a Microsoft spokesperson revealed to Softpedia via email. Outside of the confirmation quoted above, Microsoft did not comment more on Windows 7.

Source: Softpedia
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  2. Azazel

Azazel New Member

Thanks Received:
    if its 3 years wont that be 2011 :)....hehe.
  3. Xolair New Member

Thanks Received:
    No-ooo... oh well, by then I'll have my ''own'' system. :D
  4. timta2

Thanks Received:
    And I am sure that the "Three Years" will be much longer. I wonder if Microsoft realizes that a new OS will have to have compelling features and performance if they want to sell it?
  5. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    oh thank god. I think they realize that there is no "one size fits all" (or one size fits a 'segment') approach to an OS, or its features... i heard that windows 7 will be modular, which is amazing for people who want to customize their PC and good for OEM's since they will be more able to configure the software on their machines.
  6. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Strange verbage there.
  7. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    No, 2011-3=2008, it's 2008 now. Vista didn't get released this year though.
  8. candle_86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol, hes misleading you, Windows 7 codename viennia has been in the works since 2003 actully
  9. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    I am not sure about the Netherlands, but here in the US, 3 years from now is definitely going to be 2011, not 2010. ;)

They are probably shooting for 4Q 2010, maybe Christmas release. Thus the "approximately" 3 years.
  10. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    My above calculation agrees on that. Though does the article say "from now"?
  11. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    "GA" General Availability...

Wait, wasn't Vista released December 2006, January 2007?? If so, we maybe looking at a 2009 release. I guess we have to wait and see.
  12. mdm-adph

mdm-adph New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's why I think Win7 will actually come out pretty quick -- hopefully it will be the "WinXP" to Vista's "WinME"... :shadedshu
  13. Azazel

Azazel New Member

Thanks Received:
    oh i c thx for clearing this up

ain't that a little soon
  14. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Oh sorry, I thought you were not agreeing with the statement you quoted in your calc post.

No, the article does not say "from now", but it does say that the meeting was "last week" and it also says "in approximately 3 years". One would surmise 2011 given those comments.
  15. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    I guess ill board the vista train sooner than I thought....
  16. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    :toast: that would make me so happy... a true 64 bit OS even? whoa... maybe i should cut down on the drinky.:laugh:
  17. Nicksterr New Member

Thanks Received:
    Every OS is modular. Have you ever heard of a compiler? Microsoft can include or exclude whatever features or programs they want. Have you not heard of the EU court trial? It had to do with Microsoft claiming that it was impossible to remove internet explorer from the OS to allow manufacturers to put Netscape on the machines. So what did the EU do? They asked the programmers if it was possible. What did they say? "Sure it is, we just won't compile it." So you can see the shadiness of MS here. Also Bill Gates made a complete idiot out of himself to the entire world in this case. It was filmed. Youtube it.
    phanbuey says thanks.
  18. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:

YES MICROSOFT CAN... and erm.. what on earth is this "compiler" you speak of :slap:. I meant functionally modular for ME (the consumer). I dont have access to microsoft code... nor do i want to recompile my kernel/OS every time i want to change its functionality or add/remove core features.

The fact thats its modular before they assemble it doesnt make it modular for us. Linux is modular... Unix is modular... Apple Leopard(or cheetath, or tangerine - whatever they called it) and MS Windows, however, are not modular. You buy vista. You got vista features. You don'y like it? you can whine about it, but thats about it... In linux.. you dont like how CUPS spools your printer? you can use something else... I heard rumors that windows 7 was going to bring a similar type of flexibility to windws; unfortunately i dont know if theyre true.
  19. surfsk8snow.jah

surfsk8snow.jah

Thanks Received:
    Oh man I'm dreaming... vista=flop. I was looking forward to something amazing, but alas.
  20. Nicksterr New Member

Thanks Received:
    If Microsoft did something like that it would be a great step of faith for consumers. I'm sure most pc fanatics and retailers would love to have that option.
  21. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I agreed with your calculation. However the from now was implied by Malware, though if you read the quote he included you know it's not about "from now" but Vista launch. So even though Malware could have confused you reading the whole post would make it clear enough.
  22. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Touche ... I did read the whole post and for some reason Malware's comments stuck in my craw, not the quote. :banghead:

In any event, I wonder what MS will strip out this time to try to make their self imposed deadline?
  23. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    It wont be a full new OS as such i think itll just be an update type OS untill they can bring out the next kernel. Like Windows xp wasnt really that different from Windows 2000.
  24. thebeephaha

thebeephaha New Member

Thanks Received:
    YAY! I can skip Vista, another two years, I can do that on XP x64.
  25. beyond_amusia

beyond_amusia New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm friends with a Windows beta tester (he tested Longhorn and Longhorn Server) and he said that Windows 7's system requirements will be the same as Windows Vista SP1, and Vista SP1 has lower requirements than Vista RTM according to him... Time will tell.