1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 7 - Messed up permissions

Discussion in 'General Software' started by silkstone, Sep 5, 2012.

1. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    So, while trying to delete some folders, i ended up messing up permissions for all of my folders.

I cannot use things like MSconfig.exe, it tells me settings cannot be saved. Word gives me errors and is unable to save to the normal.dot template, and when i restart my computer it hangs before the desktop unless i press one of the F-keys (not sure which one as i mash them).
    -pressing the F-key here does not give me a menu, it just allows windows to load for some strange reason. While windows is loading, if i do not press the f-key the computer crashes and i cannot even ctr-alt-del to restart.

Is there any way to reset permissions to default?

I am on an administrator account and UAC is off. I know a re-install will fix it all, but it's annoying to have to do that :(
  2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Right click on the C drive and go to Properties.
    Click the Security Tab.
    Click the "Edit" button.
    Make sure the following 4 groups/accounts are listed.
    If one or more of these is not listed click the "Add" button.
    Then click the "Advanced" button.
    Then click the "Find Now" button.
    Highlight the groups/accounts that were missing(you can hold crtl to select more than one).
    Press the "OK" button.
    Press the "OK" button again.
    Confirm that SYSTEM and Administrators have Full Control checked for allow, Users should have Read & Execute, List Folder Content, and Read.
    Push "OK" and it should ask you if you want to apply these permssions to all sub-folders and files, tell it yes.
    silkstone says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  3. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    They are all there along with my personal account and authenticated users. All have full control.
  4. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Try this, it may help: Tweaking.com's all in one repair

EDIT:

A quote from the Website page... and, it is some good advice:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
    silkstone says thanks.
  5. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Well, i figured out what 1/2 the problem was after reinstalling windows. If you disable GUI Boot and there is a diskscan scheduled, the pc will appear to hang :banghead:

Still, i had the problem with permissions that i couldn't edit the boot files using msconfig.exe. The tool didn;t fix it :(
  6. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
  7. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Forget it and get Windows 8! :)

Messing with permissions is really for advanced users, you can't win the Kernel with a crowbar :)
  8. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    It's ok i've re-installed now. I do have a backup from a week ago, i used it but it had the same pribmlem. MS Config changes wouldn't stick. I has also tried recovery, and unfortunately, i had just disabled system restore :(
    95Viper says thanks.
  9. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    The Surgeon General/Department of Public Health alerts: All "tweakings" found on "the interwebs" should be handled with care, extreme care or not handled at all. Always remember that there are no 100% effective palliatives or remedies for the dangerous specimen found between the chair and the keyboard.

Joking apart, it looks like that a total reinstall, clean, not a repair install, is mandatory in order to regain full health and peace of mind...
  10. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, you had to do a re-install and could not straighten it out.
    At least, you have a clean slate to play with.
    :)
  11. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Yea, i wasn;t really following any guides, although i did look at some of the steps. I kend of took it into my own hands and ignored the errors and warning.

It's np. I wasn't too hopeful on an answer, a google search of my problem showed that everyone who had it re-installed windows. Also, the install was onto a SSD that had only been loaded with windows 2 weeks, so the re-install no biggy. :toast:

Now i just have to figure out how to delete the windows directory from my storage HDD that i accidentally installed windows on. I think an ubuntu pen drive might be in order.
  12. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Why did it happen a week ago? You might have a very persistent infection OR you are installing/downloading something your rig does not agree with, OR you are not doing a true clean install.

Happens once...ok could be anything. Twice? Something is up.

Just trying to help man.
  13. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    I think the problem already occurred before the backup, i just didn't notice it. Clean install fixed everything
  14. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Good to hear!
    silkstone says thanks.