1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 7 New Hard Drive Question

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Zaspera, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Zaspera New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm using a 1TB WD Black with Wiindows 7 Home Premium right now. I got a new SSD and it will be here in a few days. How do I go about putting Windows 7 on the new drive and taking it off the old one while still using the same key (it is a legit bought OEM copy).

2. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    You can't take W7 alone. You can clone entire drive with files on your new drive and wipe old drive.
    Else just format old drive and install W7 on new drive.

3. Zaspera New Member

Thanks Received:
    Will my key still work if I do that?

4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    yes, you dont need to remove it off the other one or anything.

its fine to use so long as only one of them is online at any given time, as thats how they check. they do this so that a user with one key, can dual boot multiple copies of the OS (say, a 32 and a 64 bit version if they wanted to).

to keep it simple: install on the SSD with your old key, and its fine. just dont use the one key on multiple computers at the same time.

Zaspera says thanks.
  5. Zaspera New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm planning on wiping my old drive and using it strictly for data (no windows). This is my first time ever using more than 1 hard drive. I underestimated SSDs when I built this computer. When I wipe my old drive and start Windows fresh on the new drive, will I need to install my drivers again (video card, mobo, yada yada)? If so, can I put them back on the old drive? This two drive thing is confusing.

6. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    *sigh* Yes drivers won't magically appear for you, they don't care whether you use ssd or not.
    http://www.boozet.org/dd.htm
    Boot from old drive, run this program and back up your drivers. Put them on cd or thumb drive I don't care. Then install your os on your new drive and put these backed up drivers

7. Zaspera New Member

Thanks Received:
    It was a dumb question, but I wanted to make sure. When I think about a drive without Windows on it, it seems weird since I've never done it. Thanks for the help guys.

8. Laurijan

Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    I wonder if the SSDs performance suffers if one clone the regular HDD, since fragmentation is a plus with SSDs. Anyone know?

9. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Cloning is physical, that's why it's good to defragment and wipe free space before cloning. The main problem of ssd is not fragmentation. It's that sata interface is simply not for ssd. SSD by its nature is meant to be close to CPU. yeah yeah I talk about pci-e ...