1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 7 "Not genuine" problem

Discussion in 'General Software' started by MLG The Canadian, Mar 13, 2010.

1. MLG The Canadian

MLG The Canadian New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've had nothing but problems with micosoft's Windows 7 (32 Ultimate), after numerous compatability issues and finally resolving them, about a month after no problems I log in one day and it's telling me my copy of Windows 7 is not genuine and that I might be victim to a counterfeit copy of Windows 7. Finally fed up, I've decided to revert back to Vista which will take a week since my installation disks are in another city and I'm unable to drive up until next weekend.

It wasn't a trial version, but it came with the computer that I had built for me at a local repair shop that also orders and builds computers through the company. I don't know why it is saying that it's not genuine but when I checked it said that microsoft had blocked my key.. do you think I was given a counterfeit copy of windows 7??

Anyway, in addition to this ever since it told me my copy was not genuine my computer has been.. skpping? I'm not sure how to explain it Small freezes that last a fraction of a second, and they happen while I'm playing games (WoW in particular) and while I'm browsing the internet. Its not just a program that's being affected, everthing is freezing momentarilly and even as I type this I'm seeing little jerks in the typing flow.

I read online that microsoft can mess with your hardware if you illegitimately obtain their operating systems but I didn't do this intentionally and if it IS not a legit version I have to wait a week to get my original disks to either try to repair or reinstall Vista.

What do I do? has anyone heard of these frequent skips? They never occured prior to the incident.

Thanks

2. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    have you tried to reactivate? in computer properties

3. angelkiller

angelkiller

Thanks Received:
    That sounds soooo sketchy. I can't say for certain, but the shop might be not be using legit copies of Win7. Again, this is speculation.

Do you have any info about your CD key? Did the shop give you anything? Do you have a sticker with your key on it somewhere? (Does MS still use those?)

4. Arrakis+9

Arrakis+9

Thanks Received:
    Yes they do still use COA's on oem copies of their windows based products. if the repair shop is not willing to work with you on your situation i would recommend contacting microsoft and report them.

5. MLG The Canadian

Thanks Received:
    They gave me a small package with some CDs and booklets for certain parts and one of the CDs was an instal and repair disk for Windows 7 32 bit Ultimate.

It looked legit at the time but I'm looking at it right now and I'm pretty sure it was lightscribed and the case was just fabricated.

At this point in time I really don't care about reporting anybody I just want to make sure my computer is okay, I got the whole package cheap since it wasn't from a retail store per-say.

edit:

http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000681.html

yeah they definitely gave me a pirated version.

wow so I'm pretty much screwed? before I call Microsoft can anyone verify if this is going to mess with my hardware? or if it already has?

Double edit: I tried to reactivate but it says my key is blocked by micorsoft.

6. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    what they more than likely did was buy one OEM copy and install that one copy on some pc's and install another copy on more pc's and eventually after being activated so many times microsoft server blocked them all and flagged them as compromised.

7. MLG The Canadian

Thanks Received:
    OEM? What is that? it's scibed on the disk

8. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Did they give you a sticker anywhere that has your CD key on it? Is it stuck on the PC, or in any of the paperwork? It should be pretty obvious, and it won't just be a plain looking sticker.

It will either look like this:
    [​IMG]

Or look like this:
    [​IMG]

If you don't have either, they gave you a pirated copy of Win7, and you need to take it up with them.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  9. Exeodus

Exeodus

Thanks Received:
    OEM stands for original equipment manufacturer. The key will "lock" itself to the motherboard it was first activated on. If the shop you purchased this from is a legitimate business, contact them about this. If they refuse to help you, report them to Microsoft. And I do not believe it would damage any hardware by using a counterfeit copy of Windows.

10. MLG The Canadian

Thanks Received:
    All they gave me was a CD with a cd incased. I checked all over the case and I didn't see any stickers that resemble any of those.

I figured this was the problem, but does anyone know anything about the freezing?

Edit:
    Thanks, that makes sense now. I just can't pull myself together to figure out why it would be causing my entire system to skip like this.

It's random, it's not when I have a specific program or action being taken place.

Does anyone think I should stay off my system until I can get a clean install of Vista? I'm really worried I'll have a system failure.
    I'll take this up with the company for sure, I'm so pissed off right now I even know the guy who works there pretty well.

11. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Not sure about the freezing, it could be related to the restrictions put in place on non-genuine copies, it shouldn't harm any hardware physically though, just slows things down.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  12. MLG The Canadian

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, well in that article I linked earlier, It explained "downgraded" systems, which makes sense because I believe it auto-downgraded my system to a non-genuine system which Microsoft put in place to still run any program without being interrupted but you're going to get nagged by popups and I'm guessing they have some sort of an excecutable that slows down things just to get you to come clean if you're pirating or upgrade if you're using a trial or whatever.

Hmmmmmm... If anyone else has any information that would be great, so far you've all been very helpful. I come here for all my tech problems :p

13. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    can you take a pic of the cd and post it.

14. MLG The Canadian

Thanks Received:
    I'm in college, living in a minihome with limited space I didn't really bring my camera with me lol, cell phone doesn't have one either.

Edit: It's definitely not legit though, I googled some pictures and compared them to my disk.

I had no idea at the time what a windows 7 disk looked like, i guess that's how they get people.

15. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    Call Microsoft...

16. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Right now the only recourse is to get a legit copy of win7. What would fix it is to get the exact same version you have now and just plug in the key and everything will revert back to normal. You can contact the shop but you shouldn't take anything less then a key from him if he has one to give you. If that doesn't work out then you're out of luck on that end of the stick.

Unless someone can come up with something else I'm not sure what else to tell you. I'm not to sure of MS's stance but they may offer you a discount on a key. However, you are going to have to contact them and see what they will offer. It's worth a shot. The last resort is to just get Vista. I know you don"t really want to go that route but it's the only recourse you have for now. In the meantime you should be able to activate Win7 for a total of 90 days. Check out the Win7 Club in my sig. The original post has instructions on how to do it.

17. MLG The Canadian

Thanks Received:
    Thanks ECH, I was planning on reverting to Vista anyway, atleast until I can get my hands on a legit copy of Windows 7. Reassurance that the skipping isn't something major is appreciated, I'm so worried T_T.

Thanks for all the help!

18. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    + 1 to calling Microsoft, not only will they Banhammer the shop that ripped you off, they'll probably even offer you a free copy of windows seven.

( They'll recover the costs from the illegitimate business I imagine :p )

19. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    No problem, like I said you should contact MS and explain to them what happen. It's possible they may give you a discount for a new key. Because that's all you really need at this point. How much they will charge you? I really don't know. Until then just keep tabs of when the issue occurred and reactivate every 30 days (you have 90 days if I recall correctly).

20. MLG The Canadian

Thanks Received:
    I can't find that 90 day activation or trial you were speaking of in your signature. I'm freaking out right now, kind of having troubles navigating haha xD

21. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    this do yourself a favotr and report them. Seriously dont be shy their are a bunch of people in your boat at this point and their will be alot more if you dont do something. keep people like this from peddling stuff.

22. MLG The Canadian

Thanks Received:
    Oh don't worry I'm gonna' give them hell.

Solaris17 says thanks.
  23. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    It's 35. Rearm win7.

24. sweeper

sweeper New Member

Thanks Received:
    It should have set off a red flag not seeing any Microsoft stickers anywhere either on the cd or the system. Everything Microsoft related (office, etc) has stickers on the cases or the cd's. I wouldn't have accepted the system with just 'some' disks.

25. MLG The Canadian

Thanks Received:
    The purchase was a gift, I chose the parts and my family bought it for me. They didn't know any better and at the time neither did but; but a lot has changed since then. I would have probably questioned the validitity of the disks if I had seen them, but I had only used them once and then stored them.

I feel pretty stupid regardless.