1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 7 RAID or Intel RAID?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by niciuffo, Jun 13, 2012.

1. niciuffo

niciuffo

Thanks Received:
    Hi everyone, so, after finally having reached a stable 4.67GHz OC on my new Ivy, I was wondering: is it better to have 2 HDD's setup in RAID directly from the Intel RAID thing that pops up in POST (CTRL+I)? Or can I just set them up separately in RAID from Windows (this is the setup I have now).
    I'm asking this because I have an OCZ SSD in AHCI mode in BIOS, would there be any issues or performance loss if I let the RAID setup on in W7?

Thanks for any help.
  2. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Windows raid is software raid. Intel raid is hardware raid. Hardware raid > software raid.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. niciuffo

niciuffo

Thanks Received:
    Okay, but in whick ways is it better than software raid? faster, more reliable?
  4. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    True and false. The Intel RAID actually isn't real hardware raid, it just has a RAID bios to make it act like hardware raid, the driver and the CPU are still responsible for RAID ops.

Windows raid is software raid.

Intel raid (on your motherboard,) is something people in the linux world refer to as "fake raid" and what is does is that a RAID bios on your motherboard handles RAID commands using the CPU to issue those commands rather then a dedicated RAID controller, so under heavy read/write situations, disk I/O will use more CPU resources than a real hardware raid card would.

With that said, there isn't much reason that you, as an average user have to worry about with the differences between fake raid and hardware raid considering most modern CPUs won't struggle in the slightest with fake raid, but real hardware raid will normally include a BBU and it's own ram for read and write caching, so hardware raid tends to be faster.

All in all, go with the Intel raid controller.
  5. niciuffo

niciuffo

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the explanation. I guess I'll backup any data in the hdds and do a hardware raid then. Thanks again!
  6. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Good 4-port hardware raid will cost as much as a decent video card, 300 USD+. I would use the RAID controller on the motherboard, but keep in mind the RAID will fail if your motherboard fails, so keep a backup of your RAID anyways. Unless when you said hardware raid you really mean't fake raid. ;)
  7. niciuffo

niciuffo

Thanks Received:
    I will, but I usually keep any important file in the SSD and all the downloaded junk in the hdds, so there is no problem there.
  8. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    bios tasks > OS tasks
  9. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    intel
  10. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Just adding: it is possible to bring a raid over to the same chipset. Myself personally, have migrated a raid before from an ICH8 on a p965 to an ICH9 on an i975x. Along with AMD SB750 up to SB850. If you find yourself in this predicament, alot of times will need to get a new board with the same chipset(s).
  11. Millennium

Millennium New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just to add to this. I used to use windows raid 0 for a number of years. The advantage was I could port the raid across motherboard and chipset changes (even AMD to Intel).

Performance wise it's software raid VS fake hw raid, I doubt the difference would be much. If you plan to stick to intel though (or ever want to dual boot Linux) probably use their raid would be my suggestion. It's possible to make a windows raid 0 volume accessible on linux but its tricky?
    Last edited: May 12, 2013
  12. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    So true had that with my old x38 setup although using a intel chipset you should be ok even if it's newer. And some mobos just have raid options disabled in bios and will run a current raid setup it's just that you cannot make a new one or get rid of the current one..

More to the question Intel raid unless you can afford the extra money for a raid controller.
  13. Blackkatt New Member

Thanks Received:
    You should stop guessing and do some research before u say stuff to others that do not know, or let them in on the secret that you are unsure. Else you give them wrong information and whats the point in that?

So Intel RAID, is NOT hardware raid, its Firmware RAID

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Matrix_RAID
    Last edited: May 12, 2013
  14. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Instead of necro-ing a thread that has been dead for a year, you should read my response which already corrected him.

Please leave the thread alone and let it die in peace.
    Millennium and t_ski say thanks.