1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 7 RC to Release version question

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Sanhime, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Sanhime

Sanhime

Thanks Received:
    I'm currently running Windows 7 RC, when I purchase the retail, should I reinstall Windows 7 or would just changing to retail key suffice?
  2. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    You'll need to reinstall, the RC is different to retail so I doubt the keys would work and the RC won't download the require 'updates' to bring it up to the RTM version.

Plus, a reinstall would be much better tbh - nothing like a nice, new, clean install. Make sure you back everything you need up first!
    MRCL and Sanhime say thanks.
  3. Sanhime

Sanhime

Thanks Received:
    Before I have Windows 7 RC in my computer, I was running Windows XP. Since Windows XP so no longer installed in my harddrive, if I wanted to purchase the Retail Upgrade of Windows 7 Ultimate, do I need to reinstall Windows XP first? I know you cannot directly upgrade from XP to 7, but does Windows 7 Installation literally need to detect a previous OS version installed first in order to do a clean install upgrade, or will it just ask for a Windows XP CD disc as a way to validate?
  4. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    It'll just ask for the XP disk I believe. It might not even ask for anything. You definitely don't have to reinstall XP first.
    Boyfriend and Sanhime say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Sanhime

Sanhime

Thanks Received:
    Would the type of license matter? My XP license came from a university that the college gave me (while I was still in college, graduated since then). SO basically its one of those keys where while in college, the college gives you access to download their ISO which then has a key built into the ISO. Of course, this ISO is now on disc.
  6. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    As long as it's the full version and not an upgrade, it'll be fine. I've used an educational copy of XP to install and upgrade copy of Vista, and it installed and activated fine.
    Sanhime says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    I was wondering that too, thanks for clearing that up mate. The RC runs out in half a year (iirc), so theres plenty of time to save all the por... important files :p