1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 7 Remote Desktop

Discussion in 'General Software' started by GoFigureItOut, May 10, 2013.

1. GoFigureItOut

Thanks Received:
    I was wondering if it's possible to change Windows Remote Desktop port number? I believe it uses port 3389. A friend of mine wants to connect to his work computer from home, but it's not possible because port 3389 hasn't been forwarded. And he does not have access to do so. Teamviewer works perfectly fine, but he prefers Remote Desktop
  2. ALMOSTunseen

ALMOSTunseen

Thanks Received:
  3. GoFigureItOut

Thanks Received:
    Rdc

I was able to change the port, but still no go. I was not able to make a connection like Teamviewer does.

I found an alternative solution: Chrome Remote Desktop. Does anyone have any experience with it? It looks pretty much straight forward. I'm just wondering if it as secure as the others
  4. 1freedude

1freedude

Thanks Received:
    If your friend has a work related reason to get to his work network from his home, he should go to his network admin and ask for help. Otherwise, Teamviewer or cellular connection is his best bet.
  5. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    You can change it to any port you want, but the new port still has to be forwarded to his computer. And you have to specify the new port when connecting with the client.

If he is on an internal network then chances are no ports are forwarded to his computer, so using remote desktop will not be possible.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU