1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 7 repeating keys uncontrollably

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Darkleoco, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    As the title states my desktop has recently taken to repeating the 9 key uncontrollably for no apparent reason and I cannot find any definitive reason why?? I need some form of help desperately!

A few things about my system:

-I do not have a spare keyboard sadly or anyone who I could borrow one from in a convenient timeframe.
    -I have a wireless keyboard but even when the batteries are out and the receiver is disconnected the key still repeats.
    -I have tried removing both 9 keys and found nothing wrong to indicate a problem
    -I have also tried chucking my keyboard at the floor to no avail (cheap keyboard want a new one anyway)
    -Would really prefer not to have to reinstall Windows
    -I am using windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Thanks in Advance.
  2. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    Cleaned it?
  3. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's most likely the keyboard, as Im sure you suspect. See if you can pick up a cheap one for now to try it.
  4. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    I have tried cleaning the ports and the USB connector but not the keyboard itself which appears to be clean even under the keys after removing them.

I would assume its the keyboard as well but even when disconnected the key repeats, would it be doing that due to a problem registering the keystroke as stopping?
  5. reverze

Thanks Received:
  6. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    remote desktop, remote services, remote registry enabled, if it is disable it as it is a major security threat when hooked to internet
  7. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    Decided to just grab a new keyboard and replace my shitty wireless one anyway so I picked up this:
    http://www.ttesports.com/products/product.aspx?g=feature&s=3

And hopefully it will solve my problems lol. If I don't encounter this problem again within the next few hours then it will have just been a shitty wireless keyboard to blame.
  8. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    all the wuzz and fuzz for not cleaning, lol
  9. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    Well it turns out that it was actually my mouse for some odd reason. My RAT 7's precision aim button had been bound to the 9 key and when I finally realized it and switched profiles the problem was fixed. Sad thing is I have had this mouse for less than 4 months :/