1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 7 - sidebar not working.

Discussion in 'General Software' started by TechnicalFreak, May 24, 2010.

1. TechnicalFreak Guest

And believe me, this is not anything I can resolve by going on Google.

What has happend? Don't know, it's there "sidebar.exe" when I start taskmanager.
    But when rightclick ->Gadgets , nada happens.

My Windows 7 Ult. is english, so if there is anything I need to do - go ahead and instruct me!

I tried almost everything, I can't get it to work.. dunno wtf has happend.., I'm like :banghead:

So.. Thankful for any replies given.
  2. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    Did you uninstall anything from programs and fetures/windows fetures?

Maybe Windows gadget platform needs to be enabled again.
  3. sapetto

sapetto New Member

Thanks Received:
    Did you try this
    Soylent Joe says thanks.
  4. TechnicalFreak Guest

@animal007uk: No, only installed, worked well until I accidentaly "drag and dropped" an object from Gadgets window. Enabled again? Isn't it already enabled, I have done nothing to it. I can't see the main window etc..

@sapetto: Like I said earlier in the post - I have tried everything that I could find, so yes. That was the first thing I tested.

Ok, I'll explain a bit better I think:
    What can I do?
    1.Nothing. Can't start a gadget, can't uninstall a gadget.
    2.Windows tells me that a gadget is already on all the time, even if I disable sidebar.exe from taskmanager.
    3.Is it possible to reach the uninstaller or the "controls" for the gadgets/sidebar so I can uninstall etc? I have full admin control over the system (2 accounts infact, one is for something else..).

Thanks for the replies given so far.

I also had that thought in my head, however the other screen is not connected. But this seems most likely, because somehow - i can't see the window :confused: .

I'll try some settings right away and see if that can solve it.

EDIT: Ok, nothing seems to help. I'll do a recovery. See ya soon. Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2010
  5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It's a long shot, but check your display poperties to see if you have an extended desktop running. The gadgets could be there just off to the side where you can't see them.
    Soylent Joe says thanks.
  6. TechnicalFreak Guest

Ok, when I log on with my other full rights admin account - gadgets/sidebar works.
    Why not here? Can't do anything..