1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 7 starts from sleep - no network

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Frick, May 25, 2011.

1. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Hey all.

Since I installed Windows 7 I've had this problem. When I start the computer from sleep I have no network. It's not disconnected, but "No or limited connectivity". When I try to renew the IP adress from cmd nothing happens. No lockups or anything, just nothing. I have to restart the router to get a connection again.

Any ideas why this is happening? I've been running computers with Windows XP, Vista and seven on this router for years now and I've never seen this before, not even with the same NIC.

The router is an ISP supplied unit called EG101-R1.

Thanks for looking!
  2. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtXâ„¢

Thanks Received:
    i have the same issue with my notebook, i just disabled sleep and let the monitor turn off after 10 minutes

might want to go into power settings and see if yours is disabling pcie when it sleeps that could be your fix
    Frick says thanks.
  3. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Done and done. Will see if it works.
  4. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    I have had issues with some ISP routers that will not allow a network card to wake up if it goes into sleep mode. Do you have wake-on lan enabled in the BIOS. If so, I would recommend disabling it.

I make this guess based upon both personal experience and symptoms. A reboot forces the nic to wakeup from being off. Sometimes coming out of hibernation or standby will not allow the card to properly wakeup. If you cannot renew an IP through the command prompt the system sees that the nic is there, but cannot communicate with it because it has remained in sleep mode.