1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 7 Ultimate (64) Security updates not installing.

Discussion in 'General Software' started by autigerfan, Jul 5, 2013.

1. autigerfan

Thanks Received:
    I have been having problems in installing the updates that I have listed below. For each update I attempted to install them individually but they would not install. I also downloaded the SURT 6.1 KB947821 v27. The problem has been going on now for about 2 months. (whenever the issue with the updates comes to mind I am never near my pc). Thank you in advance.

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 9 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2838727)
    Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2757638)
    Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2785220)
    Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2790113)
    Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2813170)
    Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2813430)
    Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2839894)
    Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2726535)
    Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2773072)
    Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2786400)
    Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2798162)
    Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2808679)
  2. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Manually update to IE10 and see what that does for ya? I'm not sure what the rest of the updates are based on, but I would start with updating IE...have you manually ran Windows Update from Control panel? Sometimes the auto reminder is stuck behind on updates it couldn't do because it didn't need to because something else updated overrides what those updates were meant to do if that makes sense. So that's where i'd start, manually run a windows update scan if you haven't, and beyond that push to a manual update of IE10 (just look up IE10 Download...ez to do).

Hope that helps! :toast:
    autigerfan says thanks.
  3. autigerfan

Thanks Received:
    Kursah,
    Yes I have updated from the Control Panel, and no luck. I did download and attempt to install each update from the Microsoft website.
  4. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    autigerfan says thanks.
  5. autigerfan

Thanks Received:
    Frick, I ran Mr. Fixit, and to no avail. I ran 2 updates seperately and got the 80070017 Error on two different updates.
  6. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    autigerfan says thanks.
  7. autigerfan

Thanks Received:
    Frick I was actually looking at that page that you sent me the link to. I did the chkdsk/f but with the same negative results.
  8. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried clearing the update cache? That often fixes these problems and there's an MS KB article on it.
    autigerfan says thanks.
  9. autigerfan

Thanks Received:
    qubit,
    your suggestion worked. I deleted the information in the download cached and when I started the pc this p.m. there were no updates needed to be installed.
    I would also like to thank Frick and Kursah for helping me. Even though their ideas did not fix my update issue, their information they gave me will help me in the future of things to check in the process of elimination.
    qubit says thanks.
  10. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Fantastic, glad to help! :toast:

Did you find that kb article? I was at work when I posted this and couldn't look it up.

From memory, you have to stop a couple of services, delete the cache, then restart them again. I think a reboot or two is needed along the line as well.
    autigerfan says thanks.
  11. autigerfan

Thanks Received:
    guess what, now it is showing the updates do need to be installed
    and I tried to install them and its a no go!
    FU*K
  12. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    Try running "ccleaner" : http://www.piriform.com/download

Looks like this below:

http://img.techpowerup.org/130705/Capture081-20130705-152400.jpg

http://img.techpowerup.org/130705/Capture080-20130705-152333.jpg

http://img.techpowerup.org/130705/Capture079-20130705-152318.jpg

http://img.techpowerup.org/130705/Capture078-20130705-152258.jpg

When you run ccleaner you have to run it in 2 sections. I didn't make that clear before. From the side tab you run the first section "Cleaner", when done, tab down to second side tab "Registry" and run that section. Only select the boxes I posted previously.
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
    autigerfan says thanks.
  13. qubit

Thanks Received:
    autigerfan says thanks.
  14. autigerfan

Thanks Received:
    o.k. so I ran the ccleaner w/ the changes that you gave. I opened update and it said that I have only 3 updates to install. Closed out that window and then reopened it and it said that I have 13 updates again. Now when I go to restart the computer (which is what I did after running the ccleaner) should I still allow Windows to install the updates because that is what I have been doing.
  15. qubit

Thanks Received:
    You tried my links? The first one especially is the definitive* solution from Microsoft so they're well worth a go.

*No, it doesn't always work, lol. I did have to do a clean reinstall of Windows when this didn't work one time, but I think I was on Vista at the time and was quite a while ago.
    autigerfan says thanks.
  16. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    The question is will they install now. Try manual update and report back.

Also, are you running the most recent Bios for your motherboard? https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20583&lang=eng&wapkw=intel dh57dd
    I have seen this cause issues but is uncommon.

Run Intel Driver Support: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/

Is there anything in "Device Manager" that is not installed?

Try the "fixit" link again.

Is the clock set properly on the PC and any router you are using?

Try manual install of IE10 again, as suggested.
    autigerfan says thanks.
  17. autigerfan

Thanks Received:
    ok, here goes for me explaining everything I did.
    quibit, I ran mr. fixit and then went to the second link. after going to the second link and done with it, is said I had 18 updates that were critical to install.
    then jsfitz54, I went to intel and downloaded the update, and the ran mr. fixit again. before I went to restart the computer I checked for updates and the green shield was up saying it was all good.
    So I restarted the computer, while restarting it did not attempt to install any updates. after restarting the computer I had the same no updates except for one about
    Internet explorer 10. I ran that and it failed and now it is saying that I have 18 critical updates to install again. It sounds like to me that they have installed but Windows keeps thinking they aren't. Feel like I am in a whirlpool here. lol
    so when I restarted the computer there were no critical updates needed, do I just go ahead and tell update manager not to display the updates again?
  18. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    Run ccleaner again. Then shut down (not restart)

Startup and run manual update again.

Some updates require multiple critical updates in several phases. From what you have said it is unclear. Keep running manual critical updates until no more appear, rebooting when told to do so.

No, this will not help. I do this sometimes for optional updates I don't want.

Speaking of optional updates, have you looked at them and selected the most appropriate ones including any Net Framework ones?
    autigerfan and qubit say thanks.
  19. autigerfan

Thanks Received:
    when you say "manual" do you mean making the updates one at a time from the microsoft website?
  20. qubit

Thanks Received:
    +1 to what jsfitz54 said.

Also, the first link had a manual version of the Fixit They're supposed to be equivalent, but I'm not certain that they always are.

I don't think you've hit a brick wall yet, but be ready for this to be one of those times when a clean install is required. In fact, one of those fixes I linked to clears the update history, which is a bit drastic, but might just work.

Keeping fingers crossed! :)
    autigerfan says thanks.
  21. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    No, select all at once and run the updates, that's how it's supposed to work. One at a time is hard on you.

Report back on progress.

When you run ccleaner you have to run it in 2 sections. I didn't make that clear before. From the side tab you run the first section "Cleaner", when done, tab down to second side tab "Registry" and run that section. Only select the boxes I posted previously.
    autigerfan says thanks.
  22. autigerfan

Thanks Received:
    Ok. I'm back. when I restarted the first thing I did was click to see if there were any updates, and there were like 36 optional, all language updates, but after I had clicked to open Explorer and then re-checked to see about the updates, the 18 critical updates popped up again.
    sooooo could this be something w/ explorer then and not Windows, I dunno.
  23. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried restarting the windows update service?
    autigerfan says thanks.
  24. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    Windows and IE are integrated so yes IE gets updates like Windows, it's a package deal.

SOOOOO, you should get all the updates that are CRITICAL and any optional updates you need.

OPTIONAL UPDATES also require updates as well.

You want to install all updates that are available at once, as there is a hierarchy to what is installed and when. Windows sorts this out for you. If you individually pick out of order, things might not go as planned.
    autigerfan says thanks.
  25. autigerfan

Thanks Received:
    On your last post, I have been installing the updates in the order that they appear. It notifies me of the updates and then I click install and wait. I only tried to install a couple of the updates by themselves once or twice just to see if they would install.
    So I am still having the same issue. Since your post I had my pc off for about 2 hours or so and still the same problem. Unfortunately nothing has changed, for the negative or positive.