1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 7 Ultimate (64) Security updates not installing.

Discussion in 'General Software' started by autigerfan, Jul 5, 2013.

1. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    At the top of the list of updates is a box "Select All" and that puts a checkmark in all the boxes at once. For the "Optional" ones you then say OK/apply at the bottom right side, once the boxes are checked. The screen then goes back to the main update page "critical" and you should see the TOTAL number of selected install items increase.

I don't know of anyone that does this one at a time.

You don't need all the language packs unless you speak certain other languages.

Did you try and "Unhide" any hidden updates? Perhaps a necessary update got hidden and is preventing others from installing. (not the proper order of things)

Can you take a screenshot and post the update page. Try using: http://www.techpowerup.com/tpucapture/

Also, what antivirus software are you using?

Are any error codes still appearing? Was 7 installed from disk or download? It may be time for "repair".

Example of error code 0×80070017 : http://windows-exe-errors.com/windows-error-code-0×80070017-solution/

Look at these: http://www.bing.com/search?q=0x8007...=BDKTMA&pc=BDT3&shash=&BDParam=0000&mkt=en-US

http://www.bing.com/search?q=windows install error code 80070017&src=IE-TopResult&FORM=IE10TR

Some other ideas from the web::: Check HD for errors & check memory for issues that are causing corruption.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956704

http://memtest86.com/download.htm

V2.55 (vvv)
    http://www.hdtune.com/download.html

I changed from compatible to AHCI and then in the expanding windows files step it starts to work.
    I also checked AHCI Wikipedia
    "Some operating systems, notably Windows Vista and Windows 7, do not configure themselves to load the AHCI driver upon boot if the drive controller was not in AHCI mode at the time of installation. This can cause failure to boot with an error message if the SATA controller is later switched to AHCI mode. For this reason, Intel recommends changing the drive controller to AHCI or RAID before installing an operating system. On Windows Vista and Windows 7, this can be fixed by booting in legacy mode and changing the registry."

I agree with this one. sometimes the bios has reset to its default, especially when the battery empty or accidentally changed. It must need to change the SATA to COMPATIBILITY.. and when i tried to changed to SATA, again i got the blue screen, and when trying to re-install i got the error code : 0x80070017
    play it with the setting (SATA, COMPATIBILITY, AHCI) to work to your hardware compatibly. wether using External drive for the installation or using a flash drive doesn't help with me. you don't even need to reinstall and can use the old OS as well by setting to correct mode.

just went through the exact same thing, Then lost everything on the drive (not to worry, already backed up) After becoming thoroughly disgusted, I went to the Hard Drive Utilities set up in my BIOS, and proceeded to check my Hard Drive and the rest of my system. End result was a BAD MEMORY stick in DIMM B Slot 1. (In my Dell system it came with 2 512 MB sticks, and I added 2 1GB stick for a total of 3 GB, after time one of the 512's went bad, I removed it and Everything went back in like Easy Peasy.
    I would suggest that you CHECK your Memory Sticks...Who Knew RIGHT!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
    autigerfan says thanks.
  2. autigerfan

Thanks Received:
    I was thinking earlier about putting the windows 7 disc back in and doing a system repair. You have given me alot to wade thru, I will post again later this evening (Sunday)

3. autigerfan

Thanks Received:
    I ran the SURT (again) then tried to install the updates, same results. I also tried to run a "scannow" and it only reached 11% and I got the message Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested information.
    I ran the hard drive test and everything was fine there.

4. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    autigerfan says thanks.
  5. autigerfan

Thanks Received:
    I ran a chkdsk, after that was completed I turned my pc on a badda bing badda boom, there were no 18 updates waiting for me. There was one new update so I decided to go ahead and try it and the update installed and now I have the little green shield *woot woot*.
    Thanks everyone for your help. I learned quite a bit in the many avenues that are needed to be taken to resolve such issues. Thanks to all of you I will remember those and will use that information to help me in the future.
    btw, how do I end this thread?

6. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    You don't. You just let them sit.

Good stuff it worked anyway! Hopefully they will *stay* updated. :)

autigerfan says thanks.
  7. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Please tell me you didn't run CCleaner.

8. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    I just gotta ask... why?

I use it. I works. It is pretty thorough. And, has never caused any problems for me.
    Now.. if you go selecting all the options without knowing the consequences it could be cause for concern.

9. autigerfan

Thanks Received:
    I did use ccleaner. someone suggested that I make some changes to it, so I did. Your questions about ccleaner concerned me in regards to the changes that I make. I use ccleaner almost on a daily basis and have no issues. I uninstalled ccleaner and downloaded and then re-installed a fresh version.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  10. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Because there is ZERO need for CCleaner. Everything it does without selecting the extra options can be done within windows already. However as you said if people select "extra" stuff it can really fubar a OS. There really is no benefit to CCleaner.

autigerfan says thanks.
  11. autigerfan

Thanks Received:
    yeah, I've went basic w/ my ccleaner when I re-installed it! followed all of the (recommended) tabs and i'm back to where I was with that.

12. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    There is your answer, TMM.

For me... there is a need/want; as, I set it up to clean places windows does not clean and it is simpler to do a one-two click and have everything deleted at once.