1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 7 Ultimate - fresh install problem

Discussion in 'General Software' started by RandelA, Mar 10, 2013.

1. RandelA

RandelA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello.
    I am working on an Acer Aspire 4750G which I downgraded to 150GB only since I don't need much space. (that's the only thing I changed).

I recently did a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on my 2GB laptop(2GB is the minimum for win7 x64) and after the screen "Preparing for first time use", and then the user and time setup boxes, it says:

"Welcome" and then
    "Preparing your desktop..." then,
    "Shutting Down"

After the shutdown, it just keeps on restarting, and it doesn't even show the "Starting Windows" boot screen.
    I checked the boot sequence and I put the HDD on first, but still nothing.
    I can't even access the option to enter safe mode, safe mode with networking.. etc.

**I also tried the 32bit of win7 ultimate, outcome is the same.

2. RandelA

RandelA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Also tried chkdsk by using the laptop's HDD as an external on my desktop. It says no problems found.

Also tried Rapair in the Windows 7 disc boot, selected the installed but not working Windows, and then it says "System recovery options not compatible with this version of windows"

3. Pehla

Pehla

Thanks Received:
    u can give this way a go!!
    burn hirens boot cd and use hdd tools (active kill disk)and wright all zeroes to hdd..then reinstall windows!!it should performe litle beter then before wipeing!!

4. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Possibly this too: Check your SATA mode in BIOS, the 150GB drive may be configured as IDE, while your BIOS is AHCI (which it should be). When you begin the install, make sure you start by deleting all partitions, formatting and go from there.

RandelA says thanks.
  5. redeye

redeye

Thanks Received:
    yes, that is the problem, to solve it do what sasqui suggested...
    but it should not matter, if you remove all partitions from the drive that it is "raw"... you can do this in the windows install where you select the partition where you want windows to go, it s slightly hidden, it is "under" one of the options in the selection screen.

remember to change the bios to ahci, because on a raw drive windows does not care... it adjusts to the drive type...

TL;DR... when installing windows clean, get the drive to a raw state... (zeroing out the first sector(MBR) on the hdd always works, but requires a disk editor)

RandelA says thanks.
  6. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

+1 Sasqui

most likely conflict with Acer Aspire 4750G [hidden] recovery partition

atb (all the best)

Law-II

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  7. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If it's set to "ahci", then try changing it to "IDE" to see if it will boot. If it does then your "ahci" drivers did not load on install. You may need to get the "ahci" driver from acer's website and re-install windows using the "ahci" driver.

RandelA says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. RandelA

RandelA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay, I changed it from ahci to IDE, I got one step further. It now says "Operating System not found" after a series of checks (PXE, broadcom etc etc??).

I know that one already. Like I said, I did a fresh install :D but by default, mine is set to ahci! :/

My sata mode is in ahci, I switched it to IDE and it said "Operating system not found" so I guess that's a little closer... is it?

9. Pehla

Pehla

Thanks Received:
    well after u changed to ide u must make fresh windows install!

10. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    And IDE mode harddrive is "sort of" compatible with a system set to AHCI. It usually won't boot properly, but you can use the drive as a slave.

On the other hand a AHCI drive in a system setup with Sata= IDE mode will not be recognised, period... at least AFAIK.

11. RandelA

RandelA New Member

Thanks Received:
    I tried reinstalling on IDE, it now says "PXE Missing " etc.. I fixed that error by disabling the network drive on the BIOS. And now, the outcome didn't change. It still says "Operating System not found". I tried switching both ways IDE and AHCI but it still didn't do the job :/

12. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Did you change it them reinstall windows ?, as changing it and just booting normally just fails.

13. RandelA

RandelA New Member

Thanks Received:
    I changed it to ahci, didnt work. Changed it to ide, disnt work as well even when changing after installation. I bought a 500gb hard drive, but it still not working:/

14. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    maybe controller failure?

15. RandelA

RandelA New Member

Thanks Received:
    How do we fix this? Maybe a driver install? What driver, then?

16. Pehla

Pehla

Thanks Received:
    either u dont undersand us or we don understand u!! not just change no work change no work!!
    if u change that bios seting to ahci after that make fresh install,if that dont work change it to ide and make fresh install...u cant make install and change it than..
    and did u try to use hirens boot cd to erase hdd to zeroes??my sisters pc couldnt make windows install and i work on it hard to make work but no use ...,then i did use active killdisk (tool from hirens bootCD) and wright all zeroes to hdd then instalation was fine and pc is working now after few months..

17. RandelA

RandelA New Member

Thanks Received:
    I tried what you said, switch to IDE then fresh install, then if that doesnt work, switch to AHCI then fresh install. Neither worked. So I am going to try hirens boot cd. Where exactly can I get a copy? I am just going to boot the cd and then erase the hdd right?

Edit: I bought a new hdd, same results. Does that mean the new one also needs erasing from hirens? Take note it is a new hdd, never been used til now.

18. Pehla

Pehla

Thanks Received:
    hmmm...no u dont need to erase new hdd..,and now that u try the new one and didt fix ur problem i think hirens boot cd will not help..problem is in something else..
    but where?? anyone have expirience with this??

19. RandelA

RandelA New Member

Thanks Received:
    I also wondered where the problem is :/ What do you think, guys?

20. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
  21. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    You could try a bios update.

95Viper says thanks.
  22. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
  23. RandelA

RandelA New Member

Thanks Received:
    I will try everything that you guys said when I get home. Hopefully it would work!

But I got something in mind... Last time I installed wibdows 7 ultimate on my 4750G, it didn't fail like this. Taking note that I do a fresh install every quarter of the year. How come?

24. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    ummm have you checked one by one from resetting your bios or load default first, maybe theres something that you miss
    then erase all partition then installing new os

25. SaiZo

SaiZo

Thanks Received:
    I have had similar issues with my Win7 Ult. on my Lenovo T420s, I installed the OS, updated it and when I was done turned it off. Then it started to "loop" at the POST screen.

On my system it was some option in the BIOS, if I recall correct it had to do with what type of OS was installed - like someone else said "UEFI". The options I had was Legacy or UEFI, UEFI only and boot both Legacy/UEFI.

And some other option I can't remember right now.
    Also, I have an SSD on the Lenovo.