1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 7 = Vista SP2?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by MidnightWatcher, May 3, 2009.

1. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    If you don't have a 64MB video card you miss out on the new start bar....that's one thing.
  2. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Something new I guess then. I like it better than having a quick launch bar.
  3. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:

It looks nice. That's the main thing I like about it. I generally like vista more still, but I'm continuing to use it expecting that will change upon completion (I used vista since beta and loved it then, I'm less enthusiastic about 7). Other than a few other small things about the appearance and layout there's nothing particularly exciting about 7. It has a few less services running, that's nice I suppose. 7's main advantage from a general consumer point of view is that it isn't called vista. They tweaked enough to release the OS under another name, and quell all those who still refuse to use vista b/c, well, it's vista.

After dx11 gets moving (if it does that is), multi-core support and SSDs become more prevalent, my guess is 7 will be a worthy upgrade.
  4. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    I love to bitch, but I really think that win 7 is gonna be awesome... I havent installed it tho - only played with it on a friend's rig. It looks so much better. I cant wait to upgrade from vista x64 and use win 7 as an excuse for some SSD Raid 0 action.
  5. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    You can add the quick launch bar too it it's not very hard to do.

I'm still using Alfa beta 6850 build that still has the quick launch in it....
  6. thraxed Guest

I mean vista new start menu a good idea but its annoying at the same time. If you get right down to it basically all they was combine the taskbar and quick launch bar. Guess it keeps ya from opening up multiple copies of firefox, though having to right click then left click on pinned items to open up multiple copies is annoying. Though I think the multiple group preview hover rocks. If they make a theme that does that for vista, there really be no reason for me to upgrade from what I've tinkered with.
  7. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    You do know you can shift click and also believe ctrl + f keys to open new copies of a program?

Edit: Or center click the icon as well.
  8. ChaoticAtmosphere

ChaoticAtmosphere

Thanks Received:
    Agree. Performance aside, Windows 7 is just plain sexy. I've used Vista Ultimate 64 and I like Windows 7 much more. Just plain sexy and sooo functional.

[​IMG]
  9. kid41212003

kid41212003

Thanks Received:
    Core i7 Hyper Threading works perfectly under Windows 7, but not on Vista.
    I'm sure that when Windows 7 is out, it will boost Core i7 performance across all games and benchmarks. Especially in games and application that aren't multi-threaded.
  10. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    From what I understand things have to be set up for hyper threading now just to be multi threaded. As a non physical core I believe it works different, maybe I misunderstood when I read about Hyper threading on the p4's.
  11. h3llb3nd4

h3llb3nd4 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would switch to Win7 if it wasn't still in Beta:(
    cos
    * Better UAC options
    * Looks Better
    * Faster than Vista
    * New Task bar
    * New Sidebar
  12. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Tomorrow is the RC release day (build 7100).
    h3llb3nd4 says thanks.
  13. h3llb3nd4

h3llb3nd4 New Member

Thanks Received:
    There is a problem:(
    I cant download it with 1gb cap:cry:
    gonna ask a friend:)
    thanx for updating tho
  14. kyle2020 Guest

Im 79% through downloading 7100. Hope to have it installed by the end of the day.
  15. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    You grabbing it from torrents or from technet? I'm looking to grab the official release. I'm having issues with the one I downloaded on my laptop, the display will freak out sometimes.
  16. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
    Got the official release off of Technet. I have to admit..It is AWESOME. 100x better than the Beta 7000
    ChaoticAtmosphere says thanks.
  17. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    Did you get a new key or did you use your previous beta key?
  18. kyle2020 Guest

Yeah torrent wise. Got a few notepad files full of official keys from the official Microsoft release, just use those.
  19. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
    Previous Beta Key worked fine. If you need one I can get you one. I have access to a shit ton of key's.
  20. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Microsoft should be releasing this to the general public like build 7000 on their website tomorrow if you can wait a day.
  21. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    I have 4 different keys, I was just checking if they were having you get new keys for the RC
  22. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Tomorrow's release probably will.
  23. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    Microsoft servers are going to be completely bombarded just like last time. Oh well I'll get in on it tomorrow and continue to set up a dual boot for my system between vista and 7.
  24. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    My big question is why does M$ start over with each new OS in regards to drivers? M$ is big enough that they should be able to have support for everything that ran under the previous OS. And, along those lines, why don't they have information about programs, that is, what settings are needed to get some of the older programs to run. Old programs are not being make anymore, so do I feel like the first person to try XYZ program? XP was done right. It was Win2000 with the hardware support of Win98SE. M$ rushed Vista out and it bit them. I'm still using XP and I even have a copy of Vista here that came with my MCE as an upgrade, but I think I'll skip Vista and wait for the first SP for Win7.
  25. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    Because it's not microsofts job to get other company's programs to work under the new operating system. And no XP was the same as vista when it was first released, buggy and hardware retarded as it was called somewhere else. Also 7 uses vista drivers.