• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 7 will be faster than Windows Vista and XP

System Name AMD | Intel | Chumpy
Processor PHII 955BE Stock | i7 920 D0 4.01 GHz | i7 920 D0 4.01 GHz
Motherboard MSI 790FX-GD70 | EX58 - UD5 | E760 4 Way SLI
Cooling Zalman 9700 CNPS | Water Loop | Water Loop
Memory 4 GB XMS3 1600 MHz | 6 GB Dominators 1600 MHz | 6 GB Dominators 1866 MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x 9600GSO, GTX260 216 | 2 x GTX 260 216 | GTX 260 216, 9600 GSO
Storage WD 640GB | Couple o' 5400RPMs | WD 1TB
Case Cosmos S | Lancool K62 Dragonlord | Lian Li PC-P80 Armor
Power Supply TX850 | HX 1000 | HX 1000
Software Win 7 Home Premium | Win 7 Ultimate | Vista Home Premium
The thing I never understand is why people vehemently defend XP. You know, it was shit when it first came out. People hated the idea of leaving 98 to go to XP, and ME was a joke. SP2 made XP usable and I don't know why people don't remember this. Everyone seems to recall XP being diamond encrusted diamond from day 1. It wasn't. SP2 was heralded as a bloody godsend/savior. Everything from there was gravy.

Vista, if you have the hardware, is faster due to its pre-cache and all that. A boot to desktop takes a fraction of the time (fresh install to fresh install) and reinstalling the operating system in Vista is probably 10x easier. It feels that much less painful anyways. Networking issues of XP are solved in Vista far better then they ever got solved in XP. And low and behold, by Service Pack 1, most of people's complaints with the product were remedied. Did they try the product? Well no, they'd already started hating it.

Yet we have people offended because they aren't upgrading their OS and people suggest they should. "I will stick with my choice because its the best ever", they say. You know what I say about XP? It was good, but I don't regret upgrading.

Vista at the beginning was a piece of shit, just like XP. Vista now has been nothing but smooth to me. BSODs? Rarely. See, instead of locking up, most times windows kills the driver and reloads it in Vista. In XP if that driver failed, BSOD. In Vista, you get a handy little message saying something, like Nvlddmkm has stopped working, blah blah restarted. That's it, you go along your way. What do I say about Vista? It's good, but I don't mind upgrading.

Windows 7 so far has been pretty good. Nothing deal breaker, nothing really to piss me off. My only complaint is that everything is different because its new. I don't blame the OS for this, just like I didn't blame Vista for being new.

I don't hate XP, it didn't kill my family. I don't hate Vista, it didn't rape my sister. I probably won't hate Win7 because it probably won't do some treacherous thing to me. So why the hell does everyone else hate these OSes and the thought of upgrading?

System Name Champ's 1440P Rig
Processor Intel i7-4770K @ 4.6 GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z97 Extreme6
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600 Mhz 4x4 Blue Ram
Video Card(s) Nvidia 1080 FE
Storage Samsung 840 Evo 256 GB/RAID 0 Western Digital Blue 1 TB HDDs
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case Antec P100
Power Supply Corsair CX850M
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard TT eSports Poseidon
Software Windows 10
I have never in any case seen XP do anything faster than Vista. I mean from startup to gaming to opening a document. My 64-bit Vista is fast as I could possibly imagine. I'm hearing Windows 7 so suppose to be like XP to Vista in comparison to Vista, but I don't believe it.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
+1

The thing I never understand is why people vehemently defend XP. You know, it was shit when it first came out. People hated the idea of leaving 98 to go to XP, and ME was a joke. SP2 made XP usable and I don't know why people don't remember this. Everyone seems to recall XP being diamond encrusted diamond from day 1. It wasn't. SP2 was heralded as a bloody godsend/savior. Everything from there was gravy.

Nice post El Fiendo, I agree with you. :) People most certainly do look back at XP with rose tinted glasses.

The only thing I'll say is that XP was waay better from day one than the 98 SE I was using. 98 SE would BSOD with no effort at all - boy was it a 'joy' at work and no better at home. :rolleyes: It really was an unstable piece of shit.

XP on the other hand was very stable from day one, being based on the solid NT kernel. At the time it came out, I was unknowingly running it on a motherboard which itself was very unstable (PC Chips, 'nuff said). It had a habit of killing Internet Explorer mainly, but then XP just continued on its merry way. Sometimes, XP would get corrupted so that it wouldn't boot. However, a repair install would always bring it back just fine.

The minute I realised the motherboard was garbage and replaced it with something decent (Asus) I seldom saw any more BSODs.

And Vista at release was a shoddy beta that loved to blue screen, but all that's long gone with the service packs and other patches. And dare I say, it's quite snappy, too. People just love to hate it, because "It's that crap OS!" and talk out of complete ignorance. Vista nowadays has far fewer gremlins and quirks than XP and has been superior this way for a good year or so.

System Name Main / Home Media Serever
Processor Intel i5 2500k @ 4.75ghz / AMD AM3 5200+ x2
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty P67 Performance / Biostar 790GX
Cooling Xigmatek Dark Knight / XIGMATEK Apache
Memory 12gb of G.Skill Value Series DDR3 / 4x 1gb DDR2
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon 6870 1gb / Asus Radeon 5450 512mb
Storage 2x Samsung 830 64gb SSD Raid 0 & 750gb WD Blue HDD / OCZ Vertex II 80GB & 10TB of HDD Space
Display(s) 2x Acer 24" LED / Samsung 50" LED
Case Xigmatek Asgard II / APEX PC-389-C
Power Supply Rosewill 750w / Antec EArthwatts 380w
Software Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 / Ubuntu 14.04
Been using final release of Win7 Professional (thank you WSU for the free copy :p) for the last couple days and I must say it is very snappy. Much faster than xp I would say. Everything opens quickly and I have had no problems so far. Will be installing win7 on my lappy tonight or tomorrow. Should run very well as well. Win 7 = the way to go.

The only thing I'll say is that XP was waay better from day one than the 98 SE I was using. 98 SE would BSOD with no effort at all - boy was it a 'joy' at work and no better at home. :rolleyes: It really was an unstable piece of shit.

I didn't have that many issues with 98SE towards the end. But that's because I realized you had to do a fresh install every 3-6 months to keep it running happy. But yes, XP was a system that offered stability over 98. Then again, 98 was vastly more stable than 95.

XP was pretty stable on release, yes, as long as you stuck to 'new' hardware and software. I had far more things lose functionality going from 98 -> XP than when I transferreed from XP 32bit -> Vista 64bit. Most BSODs I got from XP were incompatible software / hardware related.

All I know is that when I go from my Vista SP1 machine onto one of my XP machines, I notice the difference. The OS feels more sluggish, and because alot of the GUI has been streamlined in Vista I get things done quicker. The search in the Start Bar is probably my most used feature hands down. Navigating folders is dead easy, and I love the breadcrumb style that allows me to click on a folder thats higher up in the tree in the address bar to take me straight to that folder. I'd say once I got used to it and it stopped being new to me, my productivity on the computer saw a good increase. Mind you, these are my opinions based on what I've observed.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
I didn't have that many issues with 98SE towards the end. But that's because I realized you had to do a fresh install every 3-6 months to keep it running happy. But yes, XP was a system that offered stability over 98. Then again, 98 was vastly more stable than 95.

Actually, that reminds me that at that time, I didn't know half as much about computers as I do now. So to be fair to 98 SE, I have to confess that I never used Windows Update to patch it, therefore I guess it's somewhat unfair to judge it in its unpatched state. So perhaps it was reasonably ok by then, I guess.

XP was pretty stable on release, yes, as long as you stuck to 'new' hardware and software. I had far more things lose functionality going from 98 -> XP than when I transferreed from XP 32bit -> Vista 64bit. Most BSODs I got from XP were incompatible software / hardware related.

Yes, I remember the hardware compatibility glitches! Not that different to that of Vista when it was new...

All I know is that when I go from my Vista SP1 machine onto one of my XP machines, I notice the difference. The OS feels more sluggish, and because alot of the GUI has been streamlined in Vista I get things done quicker. The search in the Start Bar is probably my most used feature hands down.

I've long noticed that there is a noticeable pause when bringing up menus such as Start in XP, regardless of the speed of your PC. It's weird, it's like there's a built in delay. And of course, that delay can shrink a bit sometimes, just to make life interesting. :laugh:

D

Deleted member 67555

All I know is that when I go from my Vista SP1 machine onto one of my XP machines, I notice the difference. The OS feels more sluggish, and because alot of the GUI has been streamlined in Vista I get things done quicker. The search in the Start Bar is probably my most used feature hands down. Navigating folders is dead easy, and I love the breadcrumb style that allows me to click on a folder thats higher up in the tree in the address bar to take me straight to that folder. I'd say once I got used to it and it stopped being new to me, my productivity on the computer saw a good increase. Mind you, these are my opinions based on what I've observed.
You should try SP2 made my system just a little more snappy, I love Vista and will miss it when I upgrade to 7, but that is the way things go, I don't however miss XP,NT(build 4.0) 98, 98SE but I do miss 95 and MS DOS 5.0-with win 3.5, and DOSSHELL and QBASIC....I'm an odd one.....I liked XP but couldn't wait for something better and in FEB,07 I got a pre-built system with Vista that actually came with a Cannon printer that did not work with Vista till August of 07, and yet i still liked Vista better than XP, I must have spent 16 hours on the phone with MS tech TEAMS resolving problems for weeks (that was neat) and i still like vista better

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
Would you rather I gave you $10 for free? Or would you play with me; 50/50 you pay me $10 or I pay you $25? Surely the second option is the better "expected outcome"?

That's the issue with Vista/Win 7. Play safe, the devil you know, or play for wins, but could lose.

Horses for courses. If I was running my business's accounting system and I KNEW it was 100% reliable on XP, would I want to "upgrade" to Win 7? Not really. No need. No benefit. Possible risk. Same issue if just using my corporate email/MS Office. The disruption with "down time" and having to catch up on work days later or staying late? No thanks.

If PC's were just for fun, entertainment and gaming, would I upgrade to Win 7? Sure thing.

Horses for courses.

AT WORK... EXPECT people for the right reasons... to want to stick with XP.

D

Deleted member 67555

Would you rather I gave you $10 for free? Or would you play with me; 50/50 you pay me $10 or I pay you $25? Surely the second option is the better "expected outcome"?

That's the issue with Vista/Win 7. Play safe, the devil you know, or play for wins, but could lose.

Horses for courses. If I was running my business's accounting system and I KNEW it was 100% reliable on XP, would I want to "upgrade" to Win 7? Not really. No need. No benefit. Possible risk. Same issue if just using my corporate email/MS Office. The disruption with "down time" and having to catch up on work days later or staying late? No thanks.

If PC's were just for fun, entertainment and gaming, would I upgrade to Win 7? Sure thing.

Horses for courses.

AT WORK... EXPECT people for the right reasons... to want to stick with XP.
But of course with any business plan you have to put forth risk in order to stay ahead and not fall behind, XP is more of a risk than 7 as it will have no more support very soon, except for in a virtual drive in 7

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Ok, I think I need to clearify. The people are coming and ASKING MY OPINION, I'm not forcing on anyone, they are ASKING ME FOR IT!

Now, as for why I don't recommend simply a re-install of XP. While that would seem like a good solution, there are other reasons go move away from XP. These are people that are interested in moving to Vista/7 because they want the extra features and benefits and are concerned about the negatives. They are taking one negative, blown out of proportion, and are concerned enough to consider not moving to a better OS.

There are definitely some legitimate reasons to stick with XP, but for most consumers, there aren't. And the main reason I hear is that Vista/7 is slower than XP, and for the average consumer, that simply won't be true.

The person that argued with me actually did more of the shoving their opinion on others than I did. I was asked for my opinion, he just butted in and gave his. And the explanation I give in my first post was almost exactly the explanation I gave to him. And yes, he was one of those that never actually used either Vista or 7. Of course he also wanted to argue that 2000 was still a great OS to use today... The majority of people asking me don't want and explanation, they just want an answer, if they ask why I'll tell them.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
People who had issues with 9X had hardware issues, or virus problems.

I took a 95 machine and changed from a Intel to a K6 new MB, and everything, hacked it a bit and had almost a full year with no reboots and no BSOD. I only upgraded to XP to get better/more memory support.

Processor i7-3770K
Motherboard Biostar Hi-Fi Z77
Cooling Swiftech H20 (w/Custom External Rad Enclosure)
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Alienware GTX 1070
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Case Cooler Master 690 (w/Mods)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 750-TX
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard G. Skill Mechanical
Software Windows 10 (X64)
You guys can argue all you want until you are blue in the face but the numbers don't lie. "Feeling faster" is not faster. I have yet to see any tests/benchmarks where XP was outperformed by Vista or 7. If I'm wrong, feel free to post some links for me.

Here's some.

Link

In some, XP does still shine, in some it get its ass handed to it by W7 or Vista.

Also, you know how they say choosing hardware based solely on benchmarks is shortsighted and foolish? Well, it applies to software too. There are far more things about an OS than how fast it can zip a folder of a specific size. Enough people say it 'feels faster' to make me think that there is something there that perhaps a benchmark can't pick up. Maybe there actually is change in a window's popup delay that we notice. Or maybe its explained in the link I sent you. Dunno, we haven't been doing benchmarks. We've just been basing it on our personal experience.

Have you tried anything past XP?

DrPepper

The Doctor is in the house
System Name Rusky
Processor Intel Core i7 D0 3.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus P6T
Cooling Thermaltake Dark Knight
Memory 12GB Patriot Viper's 1866mhz 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) GTX470 1280MB
Storage OCZ Summit 60GB + Samsung 1TB + Samsung 2TB
Display(s) Sharp Aquos L32X20E 1920 x 1080
Case Silverstone Raven RV01
Power Supply Corsair 650 Watt
Software Windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 18064 http://img.techpowerup.org/090720/Capture002.jpg
Just installed win7 on a neighbours pc and they seem to like it.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
You guys can argue all you want until you are blue in the face but the numbers don't lie. "Feeling faster" is not faster. I have yet to see any tests/benchmarks where XP was outperformed by Vista or 7. If I'm wrong, feel free to post some links for me.

I haven't seen any tests with an XP machine that has been installed for years vs. a fresh install of Vista/7. Have you? If so, can you show me some? I'd like to see these numbers that "don't lie".

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
I haven't seen any tests with an XP machine that has been installed for years vs. a fresh install of Vista/7. Have you? If so, can you show me some? I'd like to see these numbers that "don't lie".

Oh no... don't remind me of a bogged down Windows that's been on there for years! :eek: lol I'd like to see those numbers too.

This reminds me, in my job in IT support, they've got lots of ancient PCs with slow P4 CPUs, 256MB RAM and running Windows 2000 which hasn't seen a defragment in its 7 or 8 year life. Starting the PC often shows a 90% full 20GB drive and performance like they're wading through treacle - no word of a lie, I've seen them sit there for 20 minutes while they boot. The users of these machines often :cry: A defrag and temp file clearout helps a fair bit, but a fresh, fully patched image of XP is what helps the most. Sometimes the drive is actually too full to defrag, so that I have to repartition it to make more space available on C: (they've usually got two partitions).

The icing on the cake of course, was the PC that was like this, plus had the bonus of not actually showing any free space on drive C: !! Heck, I'm surprised it didn't blue screen at startup. I did eventually manage to clear out enough temp files to put Partition Magic on and enlarge the C: partition. This one was a nice challenge and a memorable job. :D

Last edited:
System Name Media PC
Processor Intel Core-i5 4460
Motherboard Asus H97i plus
Cooling Noctua LH-9i with upgraded NF-A9, x2 Noctua NF-F12
Memory 8GB x2 Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz kit
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Super clocked GTX970 itx
Storage 1TB western digital black 2.5"
Display(s) Samsung 55" Plasma
Case Fractal Design Node 202
Audio Device(s) Onboard DSP, sound forwarded to Onkyo receiver in 2.1 mode
Power Supply Fractal Design 430w itx PSU
Mouse Logitech Wireless gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech Wireless, Xbox One S controller
Software Windows 10 pro
So I feel I should put in my two cents here:

1. I tend to agree with newteckie mostly because people are dumb or just plain ignorant. Most of the people who view this forum have at least some knowledge of the latest hardware/software. It's very easy for us to take this knowledge for granted so when a rant like this arises, we flame. That being said I believe that you are right in telling people that Vista/7 is faster than XP. But I think that a different hands on approach would have better. If you are trying to convince someone that a system, let them take it for a test drive. New and shiny always catches the to most people and theyll probably upgrade.

2. The second reason why he should be telling people they should get rid of XP is because he is (most of the rest of us) are early adopters. We are the testers, and the stupid average "Joe Bag-of-donuts" are the REAL consumers. Way to go to ending the XP era, it needs to die already!

3. Whoever tried to bring business into this discussion, I know where you are coming from but you can't compare business class to consumer class because most business class tech is years behind new tech; t's safe, cheap, and reliable. If they could, they'd still run 2000, oh wait, Kellogs still runs 2000 as their primary OS even though it isn't supported.:rolleyes:
You can't compare a business to a consumer because a consumers needs are much different than something like a major distribution company such as Amcon.

4. Anyone who says XP is better that Vista or Seven needs to really grow up. you are no better than people who believe that a zombie apocalypse will happen, or the Mayan calender does mark the end of the world, or that vaccines cause Autism. Think about it, software is created for current tech. So your 24 GB of ram, 64 core 18GHZ cpu , 16 Video card behemoth is definitely gonna run XP faster than a 939 AMD64 x2 with a gig of ram and an X800 card because the hardware is better!

XP needs to die, and we all know it. People who are afraid to adopt the new technology, stop bitching at the people who do because they're inventing new things and finding/fixing bugs for you, you pansy ass whiners.

Newteckie, find a hands on approach to show people new tech, they'll appreciate it.

freaksavior

To infinity ... and beyond!
System Name ZeroUptime | M.A.S.S / MM1
Processor Xeon 2659 v3 / Xeon 2683 v4 / ARM A14
Motherboard Asus X99-E-10G WS / ASRock x99 usb 3.1 / Apple
Cooling NZXT Kraken / Noctua NH-L12 / Apple
Memory 16Gb DDR4 / 32Gb DDR4 / 16GB HBLM
Video Card(s) Powercooler ATI vega 64 / GT 7300 / ARM
Storage Samsung 970 512 Evo NVMe / A lot. / 256 + 512 External TB3
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 / Headless / Acer X34 Non predator
Case NZXT H630 |Rosewill 8bay 4u server chasiss / MMM1
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Onboard / Onboard
Power Supply Corais HX850 | Corsair TX750 / Internal 250w
Mouse g502 proteus core / Headless / g502 proteus core
Keyboard Corsair K95 Cherry Blue / Headless / K65 Cherry Red
Software Windows 10 / ESXI / Big Sur 11.2.2
@ op,

i agree, at best buy peopel ask my opinion then ignore it. I wonder why they ask me anyway. I tell them vista is fine and to kill there friends who didn't like it or switch to a mac (yes i know "macs are overrate and over priced/ sarcasm" ) but they wont listen and blab on " i want xp, its good, vista sucks, whats this new windows 7 whatever"

a typicle day in pc sales

D

Deleted member 67555

So I feel I should put in my two cents here:

1. I tend to agree with newteckie mostly because people are dumb or just plain ignorant. Most of the people who view this forum have at least some knowledge of the latest hardware/software. It's very easy for us to take this knowledge for granted so when a rant like this arises, we flame. That being said I believe that you are right in telling people that Vista/7 is faster than XP. But I think that a different hands on approach would have better. If you are trying to convince someone that a system, let them take it for a test drive. New and shiny always catches the to most people and theyll probably upgrade.

2. The second reason why he should be telling people they should get rid of XP is because he is (most of the rest of us) are early adopters. We are the testers, and the stupid average "Joe Bag-of-donuts" are the REAL consumers. Way to go to ending the XP era, it needs to die already!

3. Whoever tried to bring business into this discussion, I know where you are coming from but you can't compare business class to consumer class because most business class tech is years behind new tech; t's safe, cheap, and reliable. If they could, they'd still run 2000, oh wait, Kellogs still runs 2000 as their primary OS even though it isn't supported.:rolleyes:
You can't compare a business to a consumer because a consumers needs are much different than something like a major distribution company such as Amcon.

4. Anyone who says XP is better that Vista or Seven needs to really grow up. you are no better than people who believe that a zombie apocalypse will happen, or the Mayan calender does mark the end of the world, or that vaccines cause Autism. Think about it, software is created for current tech. So your 24 GB of ram, 64 core 18GHZ cpu , 16 Video card behemoth is definitely gonna run XP faster than a 939 AMD64 x2 with a gig of ram and an X800 card because the hardware is better!

XP needs to die, and we all know it. People who are afraid to adopt the new technology, stop bitching at the people who do because they're inventing new things and finding/fixing bugs for you, you pansy ass whiners.

Newteckie, find a hands on approach to show people new tech, they'll appreciate it.
Most consumers do not know more than "Click"-"Click", anything beyond that and most people are lost, It's very sad, but true. Point being if you take a system such as mine of course XP is gonna "click" quicker so why move on? right... That's how most people see it, they think the only "extra's" you get is "eye candy" so there is no point, most consumers have absolutely no idea of what there computer can do, let alone what a new OS could do for them and the worst part is because they fear change, even if that change makes life easier, so why change......
I guess i have A>D>D cause i look forward to change

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Just tell these people that if they want a fast OS, go back to windows ME or 2000.

Oh yeah, they're terrible looking, hard to use, lacking features we all know and love, and modern hardware doesnt work on them.

I just tell people to go 7, because it saves them long term hassle. its like a few people i know still on win 2K who are pissy they cant use 8GB of ram, or trifire/quad SLI - the OS just wont cut it, and they say they dont want to upgrade because its 'slower'

slower, or unusable due to lack of features? choose 'slower' (and 7 is soooooo slow, its terrible :p)

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Most people don't want to upgrade from XP (or even older) because of software compatibility issues. If everything was backwards compatible without a doubt, I think that would convert the bulk of users including me.

PVTCaboose1337

Graphical Hacker
System Name Whim
Processor Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 2gb
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, WD 2TB Black
Display(s) Shimian QH270 (1440p), Asus VE228 (1080p)
Case Cooler Master 430 Elite
Audio Device(s) Onboard > PA2V2 Amp > Senn 595's
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Software Windows 8.1 (Tweaked)
Are we defining faster as feeling faster, or actually faster?

vbx

Processor E8500 Core 2 Duo
Motherboard ASUS P5Q-EM
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper Z600
Memory Gskill 4gb DDR2 1066
Video Card(s) HIS 4670
Storage WD 320gb black
Display(s) Asus MS226H 21.5 monitor
Case Antec P180 Mini
Power Supply Antec NEO ECO 620C
Software Windows 7 x64
Win7 isn't faster than XP. It might boot up faster, but running programs in XP is still faster.

Win7 is faster than Vista.

Win7 also installs faster than XP thats for sure.

I'm sticking with XP Media Center. I would Get Win7 Ultimate but 300+ is to much. Maybe if I get a new prebuilt and it comes preloaded with Win7 Ultimate, I would get it.

I'm dual booting now and Win7 is running smoothly. No compatibility issues at takes up a lot less resource than Vista ever did. But it's not faster than XP.

For examples: I have over 50 movies in my external HD. The video thumbnails takes less than 2 seconds to load on XP. On Win7, it takes up to a full minute to get all the thumbnails loaded.

Same goes with photo gallery. All the thumbnails loads faster on XP.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes

vbx

Processor E8500 Core 2 Duo
Motherboard ASUS P5Q-EM
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper Z600
Memory Gskill 4gb DDR2 1066
Video Card(s) HIS 4670
Storage WD 320gb black
Display(s) Asus MS226H 21.5 monitor
Case Antec P180 Mini
Power Supply Antec NEO ECO 620C
Software Windows 7 x64
Interesting. I thought the media center would only be available in the "ultimate" version.

It's still $200. Can we "upgrade" or "downgrade" from Win7 Ultimate (RC) to Win7 Home premium?