• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 7 Will Not Include Email, Photo and Movie Programs

System Name Desktop|| Virtual Host 0
Processor Intel Core i5 2500-K @ 4.3ghz || 2x Xeon L5630 (total 8 cores, 16 threads)
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V || Dell PowerEdge R710 (Intel 5520 chipset)
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100 || Stock hotplug fans and passive heatsinks
Memory 4x4gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 || 12x4gb Hynix DDR3 1066 FB-DIMMs
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 760 Gaming Twin Frozr 4GB OC || Don't know, don't care
Storage Hitachi 7K3000 2TB || 6x300gb 15k rpm SAS internal hotswap, 12x3tb Seagate NAS drives in enclosure
Display(s) ViewSonic VA2349S || remote iDRAC KVM console
Case Antec P280 || Dell PowerEdge R710
Audio Device(s) HRT MusicStreamer II+ and Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 || Don't know, don't care
Power Supply SeaSonic X650 Gold || 2x870w hot-swappable
Mouse Logitech G500 || remote iDRAC KVM console
Keyboard Logitech G510 || remote iDRAC KVM console
Software Win7 Ultimate x64 || VMware vSphere 6.0 with vCenter Server 6.0
Benchmark Scores Over 9000 on the scouter
I think you can live without the few hundred MB of hard drive space they take up.

Not when you want to put together an extra machine for something out of spare parts, but you're only spare hdd you've got around is old as fuck. Don't say "buy a new one", because that defeats the entire purpose of building out of spare parts, which is to not spend money. Any drives I have that are of a sufficiently large capacity (~50gb+) to be worth using in my main system or gf's system for extra backup or storage or something, I do so with. That leaves only drives that I want to put next to nothing on, but still want the same OS as my main system for ease of use/compatibility.

But situations like that are a horribly small percentage of the market and anybody doing that is fully capable of nliteing windows or just using linux or something, so it's a pretty moot point but I felt like being a smartass and finding a reason for why that extra space might be important.

edit: sorry for double-post, I just thought the thread was moving fast enough and I was typing long enough that somebody else would've posted by the time I hit submit; otherwise I would've just edited into the previous post

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
WMA is fail because it's proprietary, just like AAC and ALAC. And I don't think anything really rips directly to any format other than WAV, it just rips and converts seamlessly. MP3-vbr-v0 is just fine and supported by basically everything. FLAC is the best lossless codec. EAC is one of, if not the best rippers out there because you can configure pretty much every single thing that you didn't even know made a difference in order to tailor to your specific drive so you get perfect rips every time. And Lame is the best MP3 encoder (i'm not sure exactly what WMP uses to encode MP3's, but it might actually be Lame). I'm too lazy to explain why I've made the claims I have, since there's plenty of support readily (and easily) available via google.:rolleyes:

EAC correction factors are completely overkill and needless. You'll never tell the difference between an EAC corrected rip and an uncorrected rip, unless there are read errors on the uncorrected rip caused by a conflict of some sort (I have only seen that happen once, ever)