1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 7 won't recognize new graphics card

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by avsteel, Aug 25, 2012.

1. avsteel New Member

Thanks Received:
    My son recently upgraded his graphics card to a MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP and the power supply to a Sunbeam PSU-ECO650-US 650W ATX12V V2.3 80 PLUS. Unfortunately, windows 7 is not finding the new graphics card. Any ideas? Please know that my son and I are novices with replacing computer hardware.

2. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
  3. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    But it boots into Windows fine? Just not "detecting" the card? Did you uninstall the Drivers before making the switch?

Crap Daddy has pointed you to the latest drivers anyway.

4. avsteel New Member

Thanks Received:
    We did not uninstall the original driver. We just tried it, uninstalled then rebooted the computer. Windows automatically reinstalled the old driver. Is there a way to tell windows to search/detect the graphics card?

5. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    What was the original driver, what card was before in the machine? Just download the driver I linked. Run and perform a clean install, you can select than from the panel of the driver install then report back.

6. avsteel New Member

Thanks Received:
    The card we replaced was a NVDIA Geforce 520. Since we swapped out the cards it now defaults to NVIDIA Geforce 700025/NVDIA Nforce 630A. We disabled the default driver, and went to the link you sent and downloaded the driver and installed it, then rebooted the computer. Windows just re-installs the old driver and is still not detecting the card.

7. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Wait a minute, you have an nforce chipset motherboard?
    Please post your system specs. Where is your monitor connected, to onboard VGA or the Gtx560Ti? Is the card properly powered (the two six pin connectors connected)? What PSU (power source) do you have?

8. avsteel New Member

Thanks Received:
    First off, thank you for your help!

This is what we originally bought:

iBUYPOWER Gamer Power 577C4 Desktop PC AMD FX-Series FX-4100(3.6GHz) 8GB DDR3 500GB HDD Capacity NVIDIA GeForce GT 520 1GB Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

then we bought:

MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

and:

Sunbeam PSU-ECO650-US 650W ATX12V V2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - OEM

I live away from my son and am trying to help him over the phone. He had the monitor plugged into the 560ti and the VGA slot. He said the monitor wouldn't turn on if he didn't plug it into the VGA slot. Further, he only had one power cable running from the PS to the 560ti. I told him to attach 2 cables to the card (I didn't know there was a second one). He is trying it now. One other thing, he said one of the fans is not running smoothly since we put in the new 650W PS. I don't know what the problem is. I will let you know what happens after he attaches the other power cable.

9. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    sunbeam are complete crap never NEVER EVER buy a cheap PSU EVER
    its likely to
    A: fail in less then a year
    B:Take other stuff out when it goes
    C: both of the above
    I am dubias of ANY Psu thats not labled one of the following
    seasonic
    corsair
    XFX
    OZC
    Antec
    ThermalTake
    EVGA
    Pc Power and Cooling
    FSP group
    the rest of them belong in the trash ... at least in my book
    but take everything I say with a grain of salt as its 2AM

10. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    apparently the psu is 80+ certified and costs around $60!

after googling i found this "this brand is not reliable, i had to RMA a sunbeam 3 times within a month on my first build 2 years ago...go with something that has plenty of reviews and customer rep"

The 560 requires a lot of power, this 'could be' your issue.

Make sure that:

#1 - the monitor is connected to the vga card
    #2 - All the power cords are in the card

The old drivers may be generic Nvidia ones, one package for all 5xx series cards. Go into the Nvidia control panel to confirm what card is detected.

11. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    That does not help him at all in regards to this GPU issue. :banghead:

OP go into your BIOS and disable onboard video. You may have to do a clean install of windows after you do that as well.

12. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Having the on-board video enabled shouldn't mess with the PCI-E Video card. However, resetting the bios wouldn;t be a bad idea

13. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    It would though. His system does not know what GPU to run off of and since its the onboard he was using before it wants to use that. Ive had the same issue upgrading a Dell system and I just disabled Onboard and it fixed it. The system wouldn't even boot up if i had onboard still enabled lol.

14. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Strange, i have never once had that problem. Well it's worth a shot as it only takes a minute or so.

15. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    and NO you _NEVER_ need to clean install windows just because of a gpu upgrade MxPhenom 216 talking out his lower-orffice and needs to stop misleading the op before he causes him unnecessary trouble
    the bios might have a option for PCIe/PEG boot priority you can try toggling it but that does not have ANY effect on windows picking the card up ....
    id reseat the card if he failed to plug both power cables in gawd knows what else he did (make sure he is using the PCIe power cables and not trying to jam one of the extra P4 Connectors into the gpu

The motherboard is uses a fracking old chipset
    ibuypower uses crap motherboards in there stuff so meh,, according to Google the board is a nforce based chipset so expect the lan port/ to die eventually
    I don't even know how they got a fx4100 to work in the the board they list its way to old ...

GPU boot issues haven't really been a issue on anything since .... pre 2006

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  16. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    :laugh: :roll: :shadedshu

You obviously are blind or ignorant to know about the Nvidia to AMD and vice versa night mares that people have when doing upgrades. hmmmmm. Yeah I know, and you know I thought they wouldn't have to clean install windows, but it fixes the issue for them. hmmm :rolleyes:

Granted hes not going from Nvidia to AMD and vice versa, but there could be stuff going on in the registry pertaining to the onboard video. Either way it should be disabled in the BIOS and drivers installed for the new card.

17. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    PSU is fine for now.
    All you need to do is connect the two six pin to the GTX560Ti then connect your monitor to the card. If you don't have signal (Boot screen does not appear) then connect the monitor to onboard VGA and during boot press the key needed to enter BIOS.
    Go to Init Display First and check if PEG is selected (it should be by default). Set, ,save and reboot this time with the 560Ti connected to the monitor.
    I still suspect it's only the fact that only one power cable was connected. After you have signal to the monitor from the 560Ti install drivers that I recommended.

18. avsteel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for your help but the computer is still not detecting the 560ti. PEG was set as default and we rebooted computer, reloaded drivers and it still does not work. I am concerned about other comments I read that sunbeam PCU is crap. My son is done trying to get it to work. I think I just need to send him to a repair shop. Thanks again!

19. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    the registry doesn't work like that quit talking now please I have done AMD to nvidea gpu swaps and AMD to INTEL swaps this isn't 1997 Vista/7 is far more intelligent

20. MasterInvader

MasterInvader

Thanks Received:
    Doesn't matter if you have or not old/new drivers, Win7 will detect you Gpu!
    If nothing is detect your problem isnt "software" is definitely hardware, test the gpu on another pc or test that pc with another psu.

21. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    you send it to a repair shop they are gonna take you for a ride to the tune of 200 to 300 bucks :(
    and I need to be clear does the machine power up and give you access to the bios WITH THE card installed
    its rare but that motherboard might just be to old and have a quirky PCIe slot sometimes new cards don't play nice in the older pre PCIe 2.0 sloats
    according to google the motherboard should be this
    http://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/N68-VS3 FX/?cat=Specifications
    so to be clear it doesn't show up in the device-manger at all ?
    telling us it "doesn't work" does't not help us
    setup should be as follows
    1. pull the card out
    2. clear the cmos power it up but don't boot into windows > shut it down
    3. go back to the cmos set the boot order to PEG save and power off
    4. re-install the card and make sure its seated all the way in the slot(make sure you have BOTH the power connectors correctly plugged in!)
    5. connect the display to the GRAPHICS CARD with the adapter and make sure the adapter is screwed in

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  22. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    Oh really? Cadaveca will tell you differently. We had a big talk about it yesterday, and im pretty sure he is far more intelligent then you in this regard.

OP, either way just disabling onboard video. Its another option that you most likely haven't done yet.

23. avsteel New Member

Thanks Received:
    OneMoar, I take no offense and appreciate the help. The last thing I want is to pay more for this upgrade but my son is getting frustrated. He knows very little about computer hardware and I know only a little more. He has removed and put the card back in several times. The card does not show up in the device manager so it cannot be selected. If we only plug the monitor into the card, the screen is black. The devise manager shows this card: NVIDIA® GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a. CMOS boot order is already set to PEG, but I do not completely follow your instructions:

1. pull the card out: While the computer is still turned on?
    2. clear the cmos power it up but don't boot into windows > shut it down: Clear the CMOS? Power it Up but don't boot into windows? How? Then shut it down?
    3. go back to the cmos set the boot order to PEG save and power off; Already set to PEG
    4. re-install the card and make sure its seated all the way in the slot(make sure you have BOTH the power connectors correctly plugged in!)
    5. connect the display to the GRAPHICS CARD with the adapter and make sure the adapter is screwed in

I got a quote from someone for $135 (includes 1.5 hours (min.) @ $90/hr.). If the tech can't get it to work within an hour, I've instructed them to put the old card in, and if it still does not work, put the old power supply in.

If you can give me a step by step, exactly what to do so I can simply explain it to my son, that would be great but I may only get him to try this one more time and need to make in dummy proof. Thanks again!!!

24. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Forget the clear CMOS, it has nothing to do right now with the problem.

Shut down PC. PSU set to 0 (if you have that otherwise pull out the power cord)
    Press the start button, it will discharge all of the capacitors in the power supply to make sure that they aren't powering the circuits inside your computer)
    Insert GTX560Ti in PCI-e first slot (x16)
    Make sure it's properly seated
    Connect the two six pin connectors from your PSU to the card
    Connect the monitor DVI or HDMI to the card.
    SEt PSU to 1 or plug to power.
    Power on PC.
    If you don't have signal to the monitor (black screen) check if the GTX560Ti fan is spinning.
    If it's not spinning it means the card is not powered.
    If it's spinning and you don't have signal then shut down PC. Connect monitor to onboard.
    Start PC, in BIOS you have another setting which is Onboard GPU. This setting should be "Enable If No Ext PEG". Check if that's the case.

MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
  25. avsteel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Carp Daddy, you are the greatest!!! My son's computer is up and running with the new graphics card. Everything appears to be working; he is trying out some of his games now to see if they run better. I wish I could do more other than say, "Thank you very much!!!"

Crap Daddy says thanks.