1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8.1, and Why You Should Let Go of Windows 7

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I just don't want to pay for it if I don't have to. I have a valid Windows 7 Pro key and I'm perfectly happy using it until I need to upgrade for some reason. Everything still supports 7, so I'm going to sit back and wait for Windows 8 and 8.1 to mature a bit before jumping ship. I see no real incentives to stop using something that does everything I need it to do perfectly fine.

newtekie1 says thanks.
  2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    And what I'm saying is why should I have to search for things and pin them to the start menu myself when before all I had to do was install the program and tell the program to create the start menu icon for me? Why do I now have to do extra work? That is in no way an improvement.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    It's not really a big issue either though is it?

4. Naito

Naito

Thanks Received:
    Just another example of Microsoft getting ahead of their time, it seems.

5. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    There is barely any work involved in doing what I previously said. I mean you act like moving your hand to the to select an app after pressing Windows+Q is an 8 hour day of work.

6. Naito

Naito

Thanks Received:
    Gotta admit, that was funny. :laugh:

7. neliz

neliz

Thanks Received:
    If one thing, today's PC's aren't ready for Win8. Not until everything is touch-enabled anyway.

If you don't have a touch-enabled screen, Win8 is a horror. using it on a notebook with a sunken touchpad, I noticed that I couldn't get the swipes to be understood by the system half of the time.. and the other half of the time I'm alt-tabing out of applications because my thumb touched the track-pad a bit too much to the left.

Win8 is over-simplified.. even if it is a "smartphone OS" it is too simplistic. It's actually iOS level of simplistic. I don't want to only see which Wi-Fi networks are available, I want to refresh that list, because I know that my AP is up and running.. why do you make me wait Windows. See, in Win7, there's a refresh Icon. On my phone with Jelly Bean, there's a refresh button.. I don't need to wait for whenever some poopie engineer in Redmond thinks I'm ready to connect to my AP.

And the list goes on, It shows applications in the tile menu, that aren't actually installed. I like to see what my system is doing, not "15% of fuck-all finished"

The first Windows Updates you're installing after you've first restarted your system. Even wit the latest Haswell CPU, a 700 series GeForce and 16GB of RAM.. I'm staring at "15% complete" for 45 g-damn minutes.. really.. don't do this to me.. or at least tell me WHAT you're doing so I can comprehend.

This Apple like thinking "Oh, you don't need to know we're re-arranging some bits" is infuriating, at least tell me why you're so slow!

The whole over-simplification just simply doesn't work on a PC. even my mom&dad who've only recently started with a PC don't like Win8. Why? they like to see a picture of their grandchildren when the PC starts up and they need two icons on their desktop, one that brings them to Facebook and one that lets them play games. You know how much they care about the weather in Tahiti or current stock listings? exactly!

Win8 shows exactly what is wrong with opportunistic thinking and how you just can't steamroll a bad idea into the PC business, because after all, the PC Business is suffering, not only the users that want their Start menu back.

jigar2speed, KainXS, INSTG8R and 8 others say thanks.
  8. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    Yes, MS should have done a option to enable Start menu and disable Metro. Because that would make people adapt better. Like Windows XP option to enable classic (Windows 98) Start Menu and interface. I think that is shouldn't be so hard to MS to do that. Believing people will adapt to or like Metro easily was delusional, because Metro is very different than what people is used. Besides, Metro has obvious faults, as it's clearly for touchscreens. Not for mouse and keyboard computers. I don't see the point of Metro apps on bigger screens with a mouse o keyboard. That's more proper in a tablet or phone. I would want to imagine a Windows 8 without Metro, or being it optional.

But still, specially for new computers with Windows 8 preinstalled, is easy to remove Metro as above and make Windows 8 more Windows 7-like with Windows 8 non-metro features. And then you get a wonderful OS with no or less usability issues... I understand that some people want to "boycott" MS to change their mentality but, sooner or later, you will be "forced", as happened from windows 98 to XP.

At least for me, the new features aside from Metro are worth it, specially the Fast Boot, and the overall performance improvements. But I understand not everyone needs them/likes them. And those things make people choose or not to choose upgrade.

Many thanks for the link. I will try to get a Windows 7 64 computer and get the files :)

Yeah, Microsoft is acting like Apple, that's true. I prefer the openness of Android, Linux which are not too simple as iOS or Mac OS or Metro (even when Metro is sometimes more difficult. Though some people don't.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  9. ueutyi New Member

Thanks Received:
    I started to use Windows 8 Developer Preview about two years ago, and now I'm using Windows Server 2012 + Windows 8.1 Bulid 9364

10. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Of course not, but it is an annoyance and a step backwards.

No it isn't a lot of work, but it is more work than I had to do before, which is NOT an improvement. That is the point. As I've already probably made clear in this thread I use ClassicShell anyway, so for me it is a moot point. However, I should never have to do extra work, they should be making things more efficient, not making people do more work to get functionality that was already there in the previous version.

And while it might not be an 8 hour day of work, with all the programs I install right off the bat when I re-format my computer it does add up to about an hour of just sitting there searching for each program and pinning it to the start screen. That is an hour that I didn't have to waste before.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  11. bencrutz

Thanks Received:
    no bta, ain't letting win 7 go, not now, not for win 8/8.1, definitely not for your long and tiring-to-read editorial. nice try tho :roll:

i don't like MS not giving me options. why can't i get to choose between a win 7-like start menu or modern ui? how hard can it be to provide that, MS? :shadedshu

but above all, coz autocad don't run well on win 8, so am sticking with win 7 :cool:

12. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    well i think it's oki Microsoft wanna try new things but they should let ppl choose if they want the old Windows 7 start menu or the new modern layout like Windows 8.1...

if and when i update to 8.1 when RTM is out, i think i will use the ClassicStart i got from ninite awhile back i like the button icon and easy to mod as i want...

13. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    Well if im killing PC by using windows 7 then let it die
    Windows 8 has some good things but the UI is a huge step in the wrong direction
    As many others have said it is optimized for touch, good thing the majority of enthusiast don't own a touch enabled monitor.
    If i wanted a metro styled UI to fumble through i would just by an xbox.

FYFI13 and neliz say thanks.
  14. willdearborn

willdearborn

Thanks Received:
    Windows 8 is Microsoft's way of getting us use to this "Metro UI" trash on PCs. I have a very bad feeling that Windows 9 or 10 will be Metro only. This is of course all about money. If they go down this road, all the software you run on your PC will have to be bought directly through their "app store" they will make 30% or whatever on every program you run on your PC.

They don't are care about customers, or usability of their OS. They just want to take more of our money, and that's what Windows 8 is all about. They see how apple and google sell all of their mobile apps through their own stores, and they want to bring this concept to the desktop. They will stop and nothing to make it happen. They don't care about the impact it has on us enthusiasts, because the public at large doesn't even care. They just want their phones and tablets and don't care about the desktop, and this is what these companies want. The desktop is not profitable for them anymore, so this is how MS plans to change that.

This article is funny, because it just doesn't see the bigger picture. Sure the start screen is just a full screen menu. But it doesn't look at why MS would do this. Why would they want us to use full screen "apps" on our desktop? So they can sell them to us.

What about traditional multi-tasking? I mean shouldn't Windows have you know, windows? I know I like to have many programs running at once, in separate windows that I can resize and place where I want. You cannot do that in Metro. It's a step backwards in desktop usability, all in the name of forcing people into tablets, which in turn will eventually turn Windows into a metro only mobile OS, all so they can make more money.

And what about multi-monitors? They will become useless. Windows 8 is starting us down a road of going backwards in usability.

FYFI13 says thanks.
  15. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Good editorial, except this:
    That was Windows 3.1. Windows 95 was all about 32-bit (IA-32) and the advantages that brought over 16-bit (seriously, 65,536 bytes of memory, WTF were they thinking!?!).

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Arjai, radusorin and Prima.Vera say thanks.
  17. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    To me Win 8 Pro was a good upgrade at $15 when it came out, I would've never paid the full retail price coming from win7, but at the price of a movie ticket and a soda, I thought I would give it a shot, I installed it in all my PCs, and immediately installed start is back ($3 for 2 PCs) and to me is like having the best of both worlds.

8.1 seems to fix a few things, but the start button isn't still as functional as the original one, I'm happy with start is back, I hope I can still use it when I upgrade to 8.1

18. neliz

neliz

Thanks Received:
    I see your Jackson:
    And raise with Costanza:
    [​IMG]

Now, Windows 3's (or ANY proper GUI for that matter) biggest boon for that matter was real multitasking.

In no way, I can find Window's 8 task switching faster or more efficient. I've already discussed the idiocy of charms on the desktop (I constantly get that task charm, instead of the first icon in the bottom left TYVM), it only shows the application screen and not a big icon like on the traditional Windows desktop, so I have no idea if I'm clicking IE, FireFox or Chrome... and in the Metro interface it's a ridiculous number of swipes away.

FYFI13 and natr0n say thanks.
  19. FYFI13

FYFI13

Thanks Received:
    I formatted my SSD after playing with Windows 8.1 Preview for a day and restored Windows 7 from a backup. All this Metro UI / Start Screen is just wrong. I mean i would use it on a tablet but not on desktop PC. And "new" Start button made my quite angry, it's like on that picture few pages back, screaming "F**k you!". Ok Microsoft, my wallet is screaming same your way :ohwell:

20. TheOne

Thanks Received:
    Provided there is a Windows 9 in the near future, Windows 8.1 foreshadows a business plan similar to OSX.

21. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:
    I got you all beat.

Step 1, there is no step 1.

Step 2, there is no step 1.

You already have win7.

22. omnimodis78

omnimodis78

Thanks Received:
    I can't wait for Windows 9 to come out so that we can laugh at all these "suck it up" editorials that are going about it the same way as they (probably) went on with Vista: trying to convince us that everything was (is) right with it, and that the problem is the user...

Screw that! I tried 8, I could not get used to it. I went from XP, to Vista, to 7 - I used all versions of Android, I used a BlackBerry, various simple UI's in lesser devices, and I never have any issues getting used to things, but when something isn't intuitive, then it stands out as a load of cr*p - and Windows 8 takes the crown for that ATM. 8.1 might be a step towards the right direction, but it's travelling on the wrong road, so it matters not.

23. razaron

razaron

Thanks Received:
    I don't use the start screen. I didn't use to use the start menu. Since Vista, I've used the taskbar for 95% of the things I'd use a start menu/screen for, explorer and desktop for the other 5%.
    So, to me, this is just a performance and DX update.

24. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:
    natr0n says thanks.
  25. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Weird same batch of steps I have. Mine however was fixing the issue for windows 8 users :laugh: