1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 Clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by Dos101, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    well the setting has been around since vista, so its not exactly news to a lot of people. weird that the start menu activated it tho, unless its voice controlled.
  2. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    Ive never had this problem, and have no voice devices, only my speakers.
  3. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    Well I have another issue I can't get these to download and update! I've tried each one by its self and in many different orders.

[​IMG]
  4. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    You did the 15 dollar update or the 40 dollar update?
  5. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    I've had the odd issue with that as well, and this is the "fix" I found to work:

Close out of the store (make sure it is closed, not minimized).

Go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download (this is the folder the Store uses to download all apps/updates before installing them)

Delete everything in that folder and empty the Recycle Bin.

Open the Store and try the updates again.
  6. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    I am unable to run my purchased 3DMark2006 with the w8 "patch".
    Also not able to run the TPU GPU-Z app with its '3D test"
    Both give a directx error message: "d3d..._43.dll not designed for windows" !!!!

Using latest geforce beta drivers. Suspects? Lucid+intel iGPU drivers?

:banghead:
  7. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    It's the $40 dollar version, but i had code to make it cheaper.

Will try to delete the stuff.
  8. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
  9. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Dos101 says thanks.
  10. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    Didn't know about some of those. The "All My Storage" app is nice stopgap until Dropbox comes out with their app.
  11. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Well, just as mysteriously as they appeared they are gone now :confused:

Now my other "problem" is that for some reason japanese characters appear as squares and they were showing fine before... I suspect that the Media Center install is the culprit but I'm not entirely sure. It's the last thing I installed before noticing the change. :ohwell: Too bad MS changed the way it handled the character set. In XP you could add as many as you wanted, now you need to change your location to "Japan", restart and change it back again.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I went to install windows 8 on my new SSD last night and it took 3 hours to get it activated! Found out they allow two activations and then lock the serial number. Tech support in the Philippians acted as if I stole it. They wanted to remote connect and root around in my drive. I told em to screw off and found a way to activate it via an automated service. That worked. THEN I added the media pack I had a serial number for and IT DEACTVATED Windows 8 again. Restarted and it was fine.

Anyway I learned three things I wanted to give you a heads up on.

1. Activations are limited. Keep that in mind.

2. Remote connect is ON BY DEFAULT! I turned that crap off.

3. Use the automated service in the system properties.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
    Jetster, Norton, Crap Daddy and 2 others say thanks.
  13. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    So the activation works differently from earlier versions of Windows then? And two activations and then lockdown? I assume you have an OEM licence, but that is just crazy.
  14. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    No I have an upgrade. But ya I was about to buy a plane ticket and bust someone in the mouth.
    Mussels says thanks.
  15. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:

It's not true. Upgrade Activation (OEM) keys are unlimted (for one machine of course). Anyone can reinstall W8 as many times as they want. Though, to activate the upgrade version one will need to reinstall their previous copy of Windows (XP/Vista or 7) first, then install Windows 8 Upgrade. And only then activate. So people who upgrade from previous version of Windows:

Do not lose your previous Windows keys!

Info taken from http://social.technet.microsoft.com forums.
    Frick says thanks.
  16. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I can tell you that's not true. I dealt with it first hand last night with MS on the phone.
  17. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    A friend of mine dealt with it, it worked.
  18. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats nice.......Anyway here is a work around for the problem that Drone says doesn't exist. :rolleyes:

1. Run the registry editor (regedit)
    2. Find the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OOBE
    3. Change the value for 'MediaBootInstall' from 1 to 0
    4. Open an elevated command prompt (run as admin)
    5. Run the following command: slmgr -rearm
    6. Reboot

That works also if you don't wanna run the automated phone service.
  19. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Mussels also did that upgrade thing and activated. And that method was discussed here many times.

And btw I have two :rolleyes: :rolleyes: smileys for you.

kthxbai
  20. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    How many times? Because I'm talking about doing a clean install with an upgrade version.
  21. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Yeah well this isn't true in my experience...except for a couple times like the last time I installed my Windows 7 "upgrade" on my new build 4 days ago. At least three times after buying the copy I clean reinstalled it on my P55 rig (did have to use phone activation the third time iirc) but then the next time it said key was not valid. I ended up having to call activation support to talk to a person who, of course, would not budge from the byline that you had to install a previous version of Windows first. Well, fortunately I have XP and Vista from work. I know I was able to re-install it a couple more times without all that BS...until 4 days ago when the same shit happened. Installed Vista first this time but also had to go through automated phone deal before it would activate. So I am finding it not to be consistent...except what you hear from their call center drones, of course.

So now I just made an image. Something I somehow did not know was built-in to Windows 7 until just a couple months ago (few things that have happened in recent memory have made me feel more like an idiot, btw).
  22. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Which is probably why it didn't work:

So in essence you're talking about different procedures. Something has changed though as with Win 7 upgrade licenses were exactly the same as retail licenses.

EDIT:

Weird, because when I was at MS tech support they tought me that upgrade licenses were no different from retail. Also, we helped people do clean installs with upgrade discs/licenses for free. That was Swedish support, I'm kinda surprised it varies so much.
  23. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    My point is there is a limit on clean installs of the upgrade version of Windows 8. You have to use the automated phone activation after 2 or 3 clean installs. I doubt many people here have done the 4 clean installs I have since Windows 8 came out. The OEM is the same way for the most part. There is a window of maximum activations before you have to use the automated service. This window resets every six months. But it used to be 4 installs. Now its just two. Pisses me OFF.
  24. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Automated phone activation does not mean it's a limit to them. To me a limit means the key would be dead after that many attempts, which it isn't. You just have to go through a different procedure, and it isn't that bad tbh. You can ever get texts nowadays with the code so it's easier than ever.
  25. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Interesting. I got pissed at him about it too as I knew from experience you did not need to install an earlier version first plus this was just more unnecessary writes to my SSD and takes more time. He actually ended up hanging up on me, heh.