1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 Clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by Dos101, Aug 17, 2012.

1. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    How did you fix it?

2. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Actually, the issue persists. I have merely mitigated the issue by alternate system configuration.

I check Windows update to see if it tossed in an update, it says no, last was the 24th. It lied.

Yesterday, it installed the Intel IGP driver for some odd reason, which then enabled the disabled iGPU, and I can now not disable it in BIOS. Since it's enabled, and the driver has been installed, it will not boot into Windows unless the IGP is the primary VGA device, meaning I have to plug my monitor into the IGP to see the BIOS.

Why the heck BIOS settings are adjustable from within Windows8..I dunno. I have quite a few issues with Windows8 and UEFI BIOSes on ASUS boards right now, and none are directly related to ASUS, as far as I can tell, other than having that ability available. VGA driver crashes can reset the BIOS, and then making changes in the BIOS does not always take until the CMOS is cleared...kind of a nightmare, actually.

So now, I cannot disable the IGP in BIOS. nothing I have tried has worked. I left it in a forced CMOS clear overnight...no luck.

So now, I have monitor plugged into my 7950, and the Windows login screen shows up fine, and it boots fine, but the IGP is still enabled, and is the primary boot device.

3. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Can you dissconnect all drives and blind flash the bios via USB?

4. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    Mine did this too, after hours of restarting hopelessly hoping for something to go right I was about to give up and reinstall Windows 7 and forget about 8 but I gave it a few more tries and what do you know, Windows seems to be repairing itself, very very slow in doing so but after around 10 more minutes it finally booted up! Was still slow for a few more boots after, all back to normal now though like it never happened.

5. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    This is good info to have. I will be getting a new GPU in this week. I didnt enable the IGP because I didnt want to mess with the bios so its been left off. Man I am glad I did now. When I get the new GPU in Im gonna boot right into my windows 7 disk, format and reinstall. This is madness Windows 8 can mess with bios settings.

6. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Yep, flashing is no problem. That'll be next, but I have other stuff to dela with now. it boots, and gaming uses the 7950, so that's good for now.

And yeah, I supposed that it might be useful, hence my post. :p

:laugh:

7. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm thinking your issue might be with windows 8 syncing settings maybe?

8. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Honestly, I haven't a clue, and that's why I'm leaving it as is. I'll figure it out some time this week.

9. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like a pickle. It also sounds like one of those weird ass issues I seem to always find :laugh: Keep us updated!

10. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    What would that be if I may ask?

11. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    EVGA 670 "FTW" Edition. Hate the name but its a 670 on a 680 PCB and when its all said and done Ill be out of pocket maybe 5 bucks. :rockout: :laugh:

12. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    :rockout: As Borat would say: Niiiice!

13. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
  14. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    That could be bloated 40 million from the cheap upgrade offer that was on.

Dave that sucks Windows8 would do that,You try just changing a extra Intel chip out to see if it would do it?
    I have AMD and if I try to install any AMD north-bridge /south-brigde/achi drivers Win8 pukes them out and does not like them.I have to manually go in and do the system restore.Maybe try that just go to the last time it worked without the IGP driver installed.

15. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  16. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Do you guys leave the auto update on or do you install/update your drivers manually? Im asking because of the Nvidia drivers. If I let the OS install the driver Im concerned that later down the line when I update them manually to a newer driver that it (the OS) will re-install the older version over it.

I always left auto update off in windows 7 but I got used to the ease of the auto update in windows 8.

17. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    If you have a newer version WU won't overwrite it.

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Dave, maybe it's Virtu MVP turned on by itself? I have tried to make that run and I can't. Black screens and nothings.

19. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Decor8 puts the sexy back....
    [​IMG]

20. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Yeah,

1) IF you want to use it, you have to put some ordering effort into the modern screen: delete most shortcuts and have your own, in groups. (DONE)

2) The modern backgrounds are plain boring horrible. Would love to put high def pictures (aka photos) there. (PENDING)

3) Still this whole Metro/Modern UI concept is still useless for me, a full day computer worker. It is designed for the occasional "check&look" into a phone screen.

21. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i've had it go weird where upgrades have failed in the past. would hate that if it happend automatically.

22. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    I had the exact same issue, though in my case my BIOS was one update behind and updating it to the latest update fixed my black screen issue.

I update everything manually, but that's just cuz I'm a control freak :laugh: I had it set to automatically download and install updates on the gf's PC and never had an issue with Windows 7 reinstalling an older driver so I don't think Windows 8 would do it either.

23. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    I had the black screen again today, took just as long for it to sort itself out :(

I uninstalled the NVidia drivers as was using a PhysX card but just don't have the need for one and then restarted as usual to get the black screen in my face!

24. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    OK, so final problem synopsis:

What happened:

A VGA died, RMA approved, I pulled VGA to test on it's own one last time to be sure.

VGA crashed, I shut down to pull it. When it crashed, it somehow reset the BIOS. This has happened before, even in Windows7, so not a Windows issue.

Resetting the BIOS by the crash re-enabled the IGP.

I had automatic updates enabled, so when Windows booted up, it automatically installed the Intel HD4000 driver, and since it was set to automatic, it didn't prompt me or notify it had done so.

I rebooted, with just one VGA, and it failed to boot, since the Intel driver could not find the Intel VGA as primary device.

So now, on this MVF board, I can now NOT disable the IGP, and so cannot see BIOS booting, just have working screen once OS loads. Disabling the IGP is not possible, BIOS reset doesn't fix it..nothing does, not even a flash.

Popped in another board, IGP disabled, OS booted right up.

Anyway, although I thought it might be Windows causing my issue, really, it's not.

erixx says thanks.
  25. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    So the bum VGA did something to your mobo?