1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 Clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by Dos101, Aug 17, 2012.

1. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Yes. Well, not physically, but it does seem to have introduced some BIOS corruption. However, that's not the VGA itself.. it's the driver crashing that does it. The how or why, I am not sure, and will have to get ASUS to look into this.

However, the driver crashing on the good card, when pushed too far, will do the same thing, although this one crash messed things up in BIOS far worse than I have experienced before.

For example:

Now, I can reset BIOS. CPU voltage does not get reset. Multiplier does not get reset. I can change options in BIOS, they will save, and when I enter the BIOS, they will appear to have taken, but go back into Windows, and no settings have changed.

What is going foul here, I have no idea. Other boards will have the BIOS reset form time to time, but nothing like what's going on on this MVF.
  2. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Banstick Dummy

Thanks Received:
    Interesting. Keep us posted. Ive never heard of a OS messing up a bios like that via drivers. Learned something new indeed. Its kinda cool to know.......not cool for you.
  3. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    The real issue, is that to get this sorted, I'll have to deal with both ASUS and AMD, and I'm sure they'll each end up blaming the other, when really, I think it's both. ASUS new BIOSes have support for setting changes form within Windows, this gets mucked with by the driver crashing. Why that driver does that, and why the BIOS lets it... I dunno. I have a sneaking felling this may be around for a while.

Then again, you know, I do tend to be pushing things to the limit lately a lot, so maybe it's just me pushing too far. I am not sure.. I don't really think it's my doing, but I cannot ignore that possibility, too. Driver failures should not cause BSOD's or system freezes, and BIOS should not have issues with saves in such instances, either. I gotta try to fix the board, and then force it to happen again. But first, the board BIOS needs fixing.

Like I don't have enough issues to deal with right now...:shadedshu
  4. skylamer

skylamer

Thanks Received:
    Windows 8 EE trial right now
  5. TheMailMan78

Thanks Received:
    But its that "Gotta know WHY?!" feeling that will take you over. Belive me I KNOW! :laugh:

Keep us updated. This isnt your run of the mill issue and it would be good to track.
  6. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, this must be tipically something of Asus Z77 series... Apart from having video cards weirdness *exactlly* as Cadaveca tells it, right now I went into the BIOS to lower the core CPU volt a little, and back in Windows I noticed my soundcard is gone. The other day I had trouble getting TV card and X-Fi recognized. These Maximus V boards like to fool with the user!

EDIT: Are we hyjacking this thread? :)
  7. TheMailMan78

Thanks Received:
    No this is windows 8 related I think.
  8. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:

Haha that's the most original IE ad I've ever seen!
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
    H82LUZ73 says thanks.
  9. TheMailMan78

Thanks Received:
    That was a good commercial period! :laugh:

Thats going to be reposted SO MANY TIMES ON TPU.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  10. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    I uninstalled my NVidia drivers the other day, why are they there again :wtf:
  11. razaron

razaron

Thanks Received:
    Is anyone who did a non-clean upgrade having problems with Firefall and Planetside 2, namely crashing?
  12. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Disable automatic driver lookup.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    Where would I go to do this?
  14. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    Under your pc settings (click it under the settings menu bar,right under the power down button) ,Advance start up options(under general),let it reboot then select advance options under driver look up click the tab so it shows no dot.
  15. os2wiz

os2wiz New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have 3 ssd drives. I have windows 7 ultimate on the 2 120GB drives and just installed Windows 8 on the newest 500 GB Samsung ssd drive. I anticipated problems and paid for Stardock's Start 8 application, so at least I have thew start button. I see no compelling reason for windows 8. Certainly the user interface has no advantage for most people. I have a 23" screen why would I need a windows tablet design. I do not own or intend to own a windows phone or a windows tablet. It is a poorly conceived operating system . I see no performance improvements in the windows scheduler that were promised in windows 8 for people with 8 core cpus like the AMD FX-8350 which I own. I prefer windows 7 Ultimate and . I can tolerate windows 8 with the modified interface I have now. This was a bogus upgrade as their is no compelling improvements in its design. I' am glad I only paid for 1 license , I have no intention of "upgrading" my notebook, or second pc.
  16. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
  17. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    i seemed to have lost my windows 8 x64 pro DVD!!! i have the license key still. i know that downloading the ISO is not illegal it is using a cracked key/etc that is illegal. anyone have an iso for me?
  18. TheMailMan78

Thanks Received:
    I can give you an iso but are they tied to the number? I don't want to do anything illegal.
  19. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    you purchase a key not an iso or a disc so it is not illegal. do you have an ftp client? if so you can upload it to me.
  20. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    The key isn't tied to the discs. I used the same ISO I downloaded the first time on all my W8 installs.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    what sucks is i downloaded it from dreamspark when it came out but my account expired since i graduated. i need somebody to hook me up. i bet mailman is trolling.
  22. TheMailMan78

Thanks Received:
    No I got it man. Just not sure how to get it to you. I can try Skydrive.
  23. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    ftp client like filezilla is free and a minimal install. i can give you my ftp url to upload it directly to me. no cloud nonsense.
  24. TheMailMan78

Thanks Received:
    I can upload it to Skydrive and share it with you.

I'm not installing anything.
  25. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    alright. i have never used skydrive so you will have to let me know how. also, don't be scared of installing things. not everything has a virus like dayz :roll: