1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 Clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by Dos101, Aug 17, 2012.

1. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    just cancel the updating, and then update 1 by 1

2. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Its been a bit of a pain.

After I got back it got stuck at 13 percent which apparently seems to be due to a sound driver conflict. Since I couldn't get back to windows I had to do a refresh which thankfully worked. Now I'm going to try and uninstall the sound driver and try the updates again, probably one by one.

Its also annoying how HP doesn't tell you what the keys are to enter BIOS or Recovery. Thankfully after using HP so long, I was able to guess what they are. Although I'm sure its online or in the manual, it was convenient when they just told you right then and there.

3. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Another Start Menu: http://www.startisback.com/

Very similar to Start8, cheaper too (2 licenses for $3, 5 for $5). Automatically matches your GUI language.

suraswami says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Naito

Naito

Thanks Received:
    Just read a thread here about a Windows 7 Explorer wrapper for Windows 8. Seems interesting. Probably good for those who dislike Metro-style that much.

5. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    More reading and pictures in the link.

os2wiz and Mussels say thanks.
  6. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    Looks awfully thick and heavy for a tablet. Would NEVER buy a windows tablet. My Toshiba Excite Tegra 3
    with quad core processor and 32 Gb storage is faster and lighter than that paper weight on steroids. Oh I forgot it is also
    over $200 cheaper.

7. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    But can it be ran over and still be found working? ;)

os2wiz says thanks.
  8. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    I guess that is a compelling reason to buy the tank. I plan on leaving my tablet on the super highway as soon as it arrives. More useful for shock testing than for those overpriced MS productivity apps. I can see myself really getting off on kicking it and jumping up and down on it. What a Great toy!

9. DynoDon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Minor update. As mentioned earlier I've got W8 running on a separate HD. Been a week now. No issues. I'm no power user. Rarely have more than 3 windows open. Main uses are a little word processing (Office 2000, we'll see how that goes), surfing (I will have a bunch of tabs open there FWIW), and Quicken 2010. Been using Quicken for years so my data file is a bit large. Takes a moment to load but after that it runs quick. What I really like though is the overall speed. Boots up much quicker. I estimate boot time is 1/3 - 1/4 what it is on W7. Even on my old machine this thing is, for me at least, plenty fast. On a new machine with an SSD it must run at eye-blink speed. With Word, Excell, Quicken, Thunderbird and Pale Moon all open I've still got a gig of ram left so I'm OK with that.

Still being cautious, running 7 & 8 on the 2 different disks but gaining confidence daily. :)

10. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    Somehow I get the feeling you don't like Microsoft products :laugh:

11. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Info

By default .Net Framework 3.5.1 is off in Win8. I found a good guide on how to install .net framework offline. It can be good for those who have slow internet or just don't want to waste traffic. You'll need your Windows 8 DVD or you can mount an iso, it doesn't matter.
    It's just one line, go to cmd and run it as admin and type this:

dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /Source:X:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess

X is letter of your dvd drive or mounted image

H82LUZ73 says thanks.
  12. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
  13. DynoDon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Howdy all,

I'm running W8 on my old HP Pavilion just fine. My son, the techie, not so good. He has a homemade box running a ASrock MoBo mod P67 Extreem4. Did an upgrade to W8. All OK EXCEPT the lan driver no workie. Latest LAN driver was no help. (He says he found somewhere that on an upgrade install vis a clean install this is an issue. I haven't found that on the net yet.) He then attempted to upgrade the BIOS and Windows won't boot anymore. He's gonna attempt to reinstall W8 and see what happens.

This all happened just tonight so, meantime, any hints?

Thanks!

14. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    check AHCI/IDE mode in the BIOS, thats likely the case for his no booting after the update.

as for the lack of LAN driver, look for a generic one based on the LAN chipset. or use a spare of some kind (wifi, for example)

15. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    Did he clear the cmos on the board after the update.He should and go into bios after boot up and select DEFAULT Options,And then do what Mussels posted.

As for lan drivers does Win8 have them installed when it loads?If yes just use them until he update in Windows Updates,Microsoft is slow on certain hardware drivers in Win8.Also look for a post to a link from Microsoft downloads for them...It should be in this thread somewhere. ok It is post 326 in this thread ....Try searching here

To use this Web site's full functionality, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or later.

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Thanks.aspx?id=140

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=Atheros AR9285

16. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Could also have something to do with secure boot.

17. DynoDon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks!

I've forwarded these ideas to him. I'll let you know what happens.

18. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    No I don't like their overpriced and under-performing productivity apps. If they knew how to write a multithreaded application properly I might have a little respect for them. They are monopolists who write operating system version called windows 8 that has no real reason for upgrading. The user interface is only useful for touch screen users. it is pure garbage for most other people. They want to tie you in to buying their Microsoft store apps when there is no reason to do so other than giving them more money in their pocket. Then they pretend Bing search is better than Google search, what a joke. Has Microsoft ever made a map application that accurately represents all the streets in a given community??? NEVER

Screw them and the crap they palm off on the unsuspecting public.

19. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    So I was tinkering with a computer a guy gave me, and after swapping RAM and HDDs I'm pretty sure it's something with the IDE controllers. Or cables or whatever. However I found a SATA port there so I plugged in an old laptop drive and tried that and lo behold I was greeted with a Windows 8 Dev Preview!

So i can confirm it works on these hardwares:

Prescott Celeron 2.4 Ghz
    First generation 5400rpm SATA HDD
    256MB DDR

It's not usable, I've spent like 10 minutes just to get here and posting.:p But it works! I have snother 256MB memory to put in so I'll try it again I think. Or not. But now I know the problem of the computer.

20. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    I went into an electronic store yesterday and I saw a few laptops running windows 8. I thought I would mess around with it, see what it's like. I clicked on music headphone tile, and then xbox music opened up. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to exit the application, or why xbox music opened up. So I turned around and walked away.

Anyway, my sister is running a sony vaio n series I think it is. Any chance I could whack 8 on it?

21. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Metro apps don't close, they just move to the background. You can kill them with Alt+F4 but there's no close button. To "exit" an app just press the start button.

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. ...PACMAN...

...PACMAN...

Thanks Received:
    You can close them, right click on their open thumbnail at the top left when on a different screen and click close.

TRWOV and os2wiz say thanks.
  23. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    And that is simpler than closing an app on win 7 ??? Bullcr-p!
    One more reason not to move to windows 8!!!!!!!!

24. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Good to know. Not like I use metro apps anyway. :p

...PACMAN... says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    You can also just grab the top of the app and drag them to the bottom of the screen and they will close.

Read what I just said above. Just as simple as win7.

...PACMAN... says thanks.